I don't understand why we didn't throw the kitchen sink at Edey

Coming into the game, Purdue as a team had the 2nd highest 3-point percentage in the nation (40.6%) behind Kentucky.
The game plan was limit the shooters and do our best on Edey. Purdue finished 3-15 for 20% from three so mission accomplished on that end.
None of our bigs is 300 lbs so Edey can't be pushed around.
UCONN has the one Center (Donovan Clingan) Big enough to challenge him at 7-2 280.
We did our best, got a bad matchup. Such is life in basketball....

How are you going to “push him away” when he’s allowed to stand in the lane? Awaka couldn’t push him out and he is strong as a bull. No chance that works unless they allow you to bring a bulldozer or dress out a silverback gorilla.
Its only been mentioned a couple of times BUT you hit the proverbial nail on the head....the BIGGER issue BY FAR....the amount of time he's given in the lane. Once he gets the ball in the paint under the basket...its too late. You can hack him all you want....but you will not win that battle. He will..1.) score 2.) get fouled 3.) pass for an open three 4.) rebound his miss and slam it. IMO the only way to defend someone that's 7'4" and developed his game like Edey....have the officials enforce the 3 sec violation...which CLEARLY they will not.

We had a chance to run and gun in the first half being up 12 on Purdue. We allowed them to close the gap and then they employed their behemoth strategy. We played right into it imo. Why not change up defenses, go small ball knowing we couldn’t defend the giant with the intent of running his butt up and down the court. We’ll never know….

We had a chance to run and gun in the first half being up 12 on Purdue. We allowed them to close the gap and then they employed their behemoth strategy. We played right into it imo. Why not change up defenses, go small ball knowing we couldn’t defend the giant with the intent of running his butt up and down the court. We’ll never know….

Sorry to say but a lot of it was on the players. ZZ got really sloppy with the ball and threw it away to DK. That stuff has happened a lot this year when we get a lead, we get too relaxed.

Reactions: SmokeyLives
Coming into the game, Purdue as a team had the 2nd highest 3-point percentage in the nation (40.6%) behind Kentucky.
The game plan was limit the shooters and do our best on Edey. Purdue finished 3-15 for 20% from three so mission accomplished on that end.
None of our bigs is 300 lbs so Edey can't be pushed around.
UCONN has the one Center (Donovan Clingan) Big enough to challenge him at 7-2 280.
We did our best, got a bad matchup. Such is life in basketball....
We missed a lot of shots....that's the difference in the game

Aidoo should have driven on Edey on the offensive end and made him defend instead of settling for the mid range shot.

Burns has the frame to body up to Edey and try to get him in foul trouble.

Burns will have the same foul trouble as our bigs if they call that game similarly.

Yeah Barnes is washed. All he had to do was hire me. I would've climbed up on the backboard and dropped an atomic elbow on Edey's fat head. He didn't ask me though. Washed.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
With the limited playing time he got through out the year I think Estrella defended Eddy very well. One of the first plays Estrella had against him he had him guarded pretty good until Eddy spun around him and scored. I believe with more playing time Estrella stops him completely on that play. I'm looking fwd to watching his game improve through out his Tennessee career.

Edey is not a good player. Not even close to being great.

The issue in this game was he got away with multiple 3-second violations. He got away with multiple fouls. He got away with two traveling violations. He got away with a two yard touchdown run where took the handoff and ran it home. He was the recipient of a better whistle than prime Shaq. When offensive rebounding, he was allowed to play under 1980's NBA rules. It was one hell of a display of "fockyou" Tennessee.

It's over now, but it sure was bad. Really bad. Not even sure of a game n recent memory where the refs officiated an average, everyday second round pick like he was a damn star.

We knew going in that it was going to be the way that it was. Edey was going to live at the foul line. So, knowing that, why didn't we throw the kitchen sink at him and foul him and foul him hard? I was a huge Dirk Nowitzki fan when he played for the Mavericks and the way defenders used to be with him is exactly what we should have sent at him. Barnes benched Aidoo when he should have sent him at Edey with the mission to foul out by the end of the game. No layups.

I actually have no beef with the gameplan we drew up. Purdue is the best 3 point shooting team in the country and they made 3 the entire game.

If you told me that Edey was going to go for 35-45 points and they were going to hit 3 three pointers, I would have taken that every damn day. Especially if you offered Knecht getting 37 points as well.

The big problem that we suffered is ZZ played his worst game of the season. I really believe in my heart that if he shot just 50%, we would have won that game. JJJ getting only 4 shots was an issue too. Knecht just ran out of gas.

Edey is not a good player. Not even close to being great.

The issue in this game was he got away with multiple 3-second violations. He got away with multiple fouls. He got away with two traveling violations. He got away with a two yard touchdown run where took the handoff and ran it home. He was the recipient of a better whistle than prime Shaq. When offensive rebounding, he was allowed to play under 1980's NBA rules. It was one hell of a display of "fockyou" Tennessee.

It's over now, but it sure was bad. Really bad. Not even sure of a game n recent memory where the refs officiated an average, everyday second round pick like he was a damn star.
The NBA will actually call traveling in the pivot. Traveling was called appropriately in the college game up until about 2 years ago. The 3-4 foot jump stop wasn't even in play 5 years ago.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
We knew going in that it was going to be the way that it was. Edey was going to live at the foul line. So, knowing that, why didn't we throw the kitchen sink at him and foul him and foul him hard? I was a huge Dirk Nowitzki fan when he played for the Mavericks and the way defenders used to be with him is exactly what we should have sent at him. Barnes benched Aidoo when he should have sent him at Edey with the mission to foul out by the end of the game. No layups.
No, he should have never sent Aidoo out there at all. Soft!!!

If we had a kitchen sink, we would have thrown it at him.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
because they called fouls on us based upon us thinking about fouling Edey before they could get to him :oops:

One foul on Edey and he spent about 2,280 seconds in the lane. C’mon man. Officiating was awful.

He collected about 15 fouls and only committed one. The only way to beat him is to keep him 6+ feet away from the basket when he gets the pass down low. mthe 15 fouls should have been committed pushing him away from the basket before he got the pass.
When you figure out how to push him away from the basket let me know.

The comparison to Nowitzki is silly and inapplicable. He played all over the court. We had a good game plan but simply missed too many open shots.
Yeah.. not trying to single anyone out, a lot of guys shot poorly, but for example if ZZ shoots 45% from the floor and 75% from the stripe we win.

The comparison to Nowitzki is silly and inapplicable. He played all over the court. We had a good game plan but simply missed too many open shots.
Yep, you are correct good game plan, and Purdue was low % on 3s. The exact recipe for a win if DK gets his 30+ check, if Ziegler shoots his normal 3% from 3 NO CHECK, not putting it on ZZ but he is usually solid. I expected the JJJ great 1st half so so 2nd, Gainey gave enough, SV didn't but was expected to not contribute much. Aidoo was a no show and even with all this if ZZ has is normal game, we win even with Aidoo being subpar. So, I am like you we had the correct game plan.

Tire iron would work better. Easier to aim.

You could have just shot him during pre game workouts.

VN Store

Back