Interesting take on Cuonzo/Cal from Cal site

What I do blame him for is doing a job interview on UT's dime while he was supposedly committed to the program and negotiating in good faith then bolting when he got the chance.

what employed coach doesn't interview on their employers dime? Did Tyndall not do the same? Butch?

how do you know negotiations were moving forward? It seems an offer was on the table and it was his to accept or reject. That says nothing about what kind of person he is

So they were more consistent scoring, ok. Doesn't change the fact that some people seem to be talking about his system as if it's gonna produce scoring like Kansas & Louisville.

Just thought it was worth pointing out that yes while with lesser talented guys, going against lesser talented defenses,
his teams still averaged less PPG than Tennessee.

Kansas and Louisville were the 2 examples Donnie used in his presser.
Said nothing about points.
He did talk about rebounds though.

Uhm no I didn't, where I learned math 2.1>2.0

Maybe you learned a different kind of math?

It wasn't your math being called into question, it's the whole sum of the fact you brought to the table.

You intended for this to be some statement of how Martin was better than Tyndall in scoring but the difference is miniscule when you are talking about a .1 of a point per game over the course of a season.

But that's cool. Your schtick is to insult anyone who doesn't buy into everything you pass along here as gospel.

Reactions: 10 people
what employed coach doesn't interview on their employers dime? Did Tyndall not do the same? Butch?

how do you know negotiations were moving forward? It seems an offer was on the table and it was his to accept or reject. That says nothing about what kind of person he is

All I can do is take the man on what he said :

“Tennessee is where I want to be. That has never changed. I have said many times over the past three years that I believe we have the resources and support to be the last team standing, and that belief has never been stronger. I appreciate the unrivaled passion of this fanbase and feel the responsibility to make those fans proud. I also appreciate the commitment that the university and athletic department leadership have shown to this staff. I am excited about the future and remain honored to be the head basketball coach at Tennessee. Go Vols!”

2 weeks later he is wearing a different color tie.

Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

Reactions: 4 people
Kansas and Louisville were the 2 examples Donnie used in his presser.
Said nothing about points.
He did talk about rebounds though.

Exactly, he didn't say we are gonna score like them, people are just acting like we're going to. Setting themselves up for disappointment before the first game even IMO.

Martin would have prolly faced his most difficult year here next season. Not many coaches are safe when their record after four years is getting worse, especially when the seat was hot before. He would most likley have been gone next year because all of the people that thought he sucked a few months ago would surely have gotten loud again. He rode the sweet sixteen (and Dukes loss) right on to Cali because he knew that there would be no better time. He may or may not have been a good coach, but he was clearly not stupid. Now he has a gig beyond next year and we (and Cal) have a guy that we can stick with beyond next year. No one here really missed out. Oh, and a big contract extension here for CCM would have been dumb on the AD's part because it would have left us paying millions to get rid of a .500 coach 4-5 years into his tenure...meaning everyone here would have wanted Hart fired! I say good job Hart, welcome to UT Coach T, and "hang ten, dude" to Cuonzo! GBO!

“Tennessee is where I want to be. That has never changed. I have said many times over the past three years that I believe we have the resources and support to be the last team standing, and that belief has never been stronger. I appreciate the unrivaled passion of this fanbase and feel the responsibility to make those fans proud. I also appreciate the commitment that the university and athletic department leadership have shown to this staff. I am excited about the future and remain honored to be the head basketball coach at Tennessee. Go Vols!”

Just about every coach says the school is at is where he wants to be, I'm sure Butch said it at Cincy.

It's called coach speak

I've never once said people should stop posting specific items on this board, but the Conzo stuff needs to stop. Who cares what someone all the way across the country thinks of our fan base? Who cares about Conzo and his lethargic basketball? I didn't sign the petition, but there's a reason why 30k did. People want excitement and energy, not slow paced and boring. Conzo is a great guy, but he's a boring coach and a terrible in-game play caller. Now, let's all move on from this and get behind our new coach who seams to be a perfect fit for bringing the energy back to TBA.

So do you like winning or want to be excited? Tyndall's teams score less than Martin's. So you don't like the Tyndall hire?

and Tyndall signed a raise/extension just a couple months ago. I assume you call him a hypocrite too?

Which is the higher number, 2.1 or 2.0?

I'll simplify this for you

I never disputed the numbers at any point in time, just the fact that you failed to mention how close it actually was.

Your derogatory comments on my math ability do nothing to change any of that.

You're just getting your feelings hurt like your hero Martin over someone actually questioning anything you say.

I guess the internet is serious business for some folk.

Reactions: 7 people
Tyndall's teams play slower and score less points than Martin's. Yall think Tyndall is gonna be more exciting? You are in for a rude awakening. He'll win with D like Martin did.

And yet we were all sold a bill of goods on how much higher character a man Martin was than all these other coaches just a few short weeks ago.

a coach leaving for another job says very little about his character. Happens multiple times every year

Reactions: 3 people
Its funny to here all of these people say that his coaching style and teams were boring. But if you look at the final 4 all of those teams had grind it out styles. Played great defense and didn't score a lot of points. Plain and simple that style wins ballgames. These wide open style offenses look good but will they take you far in the tournament. I don't think so or every program would be doing it.

I'd hardly consider UK a team that "grinds it out." Unless you're talking about at the club postgame...

Reactions: 1 person
Not ignoring 80% of anything. We all may have selective memories. I remember big home wins over ranked Florida and Vandy teams and defending champion UConn in Cuonzo's first year. But I also can't forget loses to AP and CoC. Cuonzo's teams were inconsistent, but I guess it's easy for me to see the upside in a first year coach that takes a team picked to finish 11th in their league (for good reason, zero returning scoring, rebounding, etc; anyone want to draw comparisons to next year's situation?) and have those types of huge wins.

I guess I had a more optimistic / favorable outlook on Cuonzo as a coach. I'm a homer. Nothing I can do about that.

you are aight Manny

Exactly, he didn't say we are gonna score like them, people are just acting like we're going to. Setting themselves up for disappointment before the first game even IMO.

I don't see any posters doing any of that. We expect to see ball screens and movement that uses the same sets as Kansas.
This offense will be determined by defensive pressure and pg play, so there are too many things to see before fans assume we are going to put up offensive numbers like Kansas. Again, you are the only one that has said that, while accusing others of doing it.

Reactions: 3 people
Fun fact...

Tennessee averaged more Ppg than Southern Miss last year.

As you were.

Another fun fact...

Tennessee lost to UTEP this past year by 8 points.

Southern Miss beat UTEP by 9 points.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything but since we're pointing out useless trivia....

Reactions: 11 people
The thread is just sad in a useless way. Look at what some of you have reduced yourselves to in the process. Funny.

Reactions: 1 person
Its funny to here all of these people say that his coaching style and teams were boring. But if you look at the final 4 all of those teams had grind it out styles. Played great defense and didn't score a lot of points. Plain and simple that style wins ballgames. These wide open style offenses look good but will they take you far in the tournament. I don't think so or every program would be doing it.

I agree. I prefer great defense and a grind it out offense that compliments our defensive effort.

Many people don't understand the tradeoffs associated with playing incredibly hard on defense. I don't care what kind of conditioning our players have, it is impossible to play uptempo offense and hard man-to-man defense that we've been playing the past three years.

Also, to emphasize your point, one of my favorite teams (2007-2008, Chris Lofton) ran into a buzz saw in the sweet sixteen (Louisville). That team relied on 3 pointers and an uptempo offense, but was crushed by a team that played hard defense. Another example would be UMass vs. us in the tournament this year.

Uptempo is exciting and it scores a lot of points, but I don't believe it can sustain a run to the final four, in my humble opinion. Nonetheless, Go Vols!

Talk about delusional, CAL fans get ready for the most boring brand of basketball on the face of the planet and not only the brand of basketball that is boring but the coach is boring as well...Good man no doubt but boring...I think one of he biggest things was how he didn't embrace the fans or students...It was like come to work, Get your paycheck and go home without saying a word to anyone....Enjoy him Bear fans.

VN Store

Back