Is Utah State really that good???

Our offense will get tested. Their D is no slouch. Not saying they are SEC Caliber, but the stats don't lie (Click link below). They had the #6 D in the country last year. The did lose some upperclassman, but doesn't everybody? In the end, homefield advantage and talent at the skill positions should take over for us. Vols 34-Aggies 20

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2013 NCAA S&P+ RATINGS, DEFENSE

They lost 2 CB, 1 FS, 1 SS, 1 OLB, 1 ILB, 2 DE, 1 NG on defense.

On offense they lost their entire line, minus LT. That includes the starting TE. Also lost two starting WR.

In short, they have 1 returning lineman on both sides. Which may or may not even be an advantage.

2 out of 4 starting LB's returning.

And only a SS returning in the back.

By all accounts we should be able to light them up.

Reactions: 4 people
Regardless of how I feel about USU, I trust CBJ will have this team fully aware that the Aggies cannot be underestimated.

Reactions: 2 people
TV hype: If you are an Iowa, Miami, Maryland or Arizona fan, would you want to watch the only college football game on Sunday if you knew it would be a 14+ blowout?

One more thing: We are not playing the great USU team from years past with 60+ players recruited and coached by Dooley. We are playing a highly depleted USU team who's best depth is at QB and DL position with our 32 freshmen super studs, great JUCOs, and everyone else with year two of CBJ system...especially S&C.

Their only hope is a lot of turnovers by us and that they hit the jackpot on the eight or so JUCOs they recently grabbed.

Long day for Daniel Grey, USU secondary leader...if he were still at TN, he would be fighting to make 3rd string in our secondary.

Last edited:
I would also like to add that they only have 1 WR (285yrd/29 rec/6TD) taller than Hurd, and 1 the same height (RS).

Our offense will get tested. Their D is no slouch. Not saying they are SEC Caliber, but the stats don't lie (Click link below). They had the #6 D in the country last year. The did lose some upperclassman, but doesn't everybody? In the end, homefield advantage and talent at the skill positions should take over for us. Vols 34-Aggies 20

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2013 NCAA S&P+ RATINGS, DEFENSE

And who was rushing/throwing/catching against that D? Trey Mason? Green-Beckham? Marcus Mariotta? Aaron Murray? AJ McCaaron? How many Top 10 teams did they have to endure back to back to back?

It's all relative, my friend. When your #6 defense is only tested against MountainWAC-12 scrub offenses, is it really legit?

When a Big 12, SEC, or PAC-12 defense/offense is ranked Top 10, that is legit. If a top ranked Big 10 defense is suspect enough, how much more suspect is one from a scrub conference?

Reactions: 4 people
And who was rushing/throwing/catching against that D? Trey Mason? Green-Beckham? Marcus Mariotta? Aaron Murray? AJ McCaaron? How many Top 10 teams did they have to endure back to back to back?

It's all relative, my friend. When your #6 defense is only tested against MountainWAC-12 scrub offenses, is it really legit?

When a Big 12, SEC, or PAC-12 defense/offense is ranked Top 10, that is legit. If a top ranked Big 10 defense is suspect enough, how much more suspect is one from a scrub conference?

In fairness, they did play Weber St.

Side note: TIL Weber St. had a football team. "The more you know."

I mean come on......They have lost more players than we have. They also have a new offensive line...are their new O-linemen better than ours? I think not. They are green at receiver and not even nearly as talented as us there. No comparison at RB...we are much better. On defense they are quite green in the secondary. We have more talent and experience there. Not sure about the front 7, but we are most certainly bigger, stronger, and faster there as well. Sooooo they have a better QB? Is that it? This is what determines that they will keep it so close with us? A QB that is coming off of a major injury to boot.

NO to answer your thread question!

45-17 Vols role!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

I mean come on......They have lost more players than we have. They also have a new offensive line...are their new O-linemen better than ours? I think not. They are green at receiver and not even nearly as talented as us there. No comparison at RB...we are much better. On defense they are quite green in the secondary. We have more talent and experience there. Not sure about the front 7, but we are most certainly bigger, stronger, and faster there as well. Sooooo they have a better QB? Is that it? This is what determines that they will keep it so close with us? A QB that is coming off of a major injury to boot.

Only thing that scares me is their replacements maybe upper class men that have been recruited specifically for their system. We have a lot of replacements that weren't recruited by our current staff. Also, some of our replacements are talented freshmen and they are prone to making freshmen mistakes.

And for all the * gazers out there. Their recruiting has averaged somewhere in the upper 80's to low 90's in the country the past 5 years. We've averaged in the mid teens the past 5 years. We are much more talented across the board and playing a home opener which we rarely lose!

Vols big!

Tennesseeduke

Reactions: 1 person
NO to answer your thread question!

45-17 Vols role!

Tennesseeduke

LID2j.jpg

The crowd will be a factor. I know they have been to A few big venues the last few years but I still think they will be thunderstruck by Knoxville. I have heard several big time coaches comment after a visit to Knoxville, saying things like, I knew it was loud, but damn. Their is a lot of excitement, I hope we play well. If we don't have many big mistakes we will win by 2 tds plus.

I understand. Notice the "they're not SEC caliber" and "talent at skill positions" part of my post. Not to mention the score prediction. Just saying they are not a "scrub" team (Like Wester Ky last year) and should give us some what of a challenge, early on...

I understand. Notice the "they're not SEC caliber" and "talent at skill positions" part of my post. Not to mention the score prediction. Just saying they are not a "scrub" team (Like Wester Ky last year) and should give us some what of a challenge, early on...

You said "the stats don't lie"....... in this case the stats are lying in the sense that they aren't telling the whole story behind this #6 defense you referenced.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not sure but Vegas knows what they are doing... Utah St started as a 4.5 favorite. Tn is now a 7 point favorite. Sounds good but TN has a home field advantage. Vegas isn't giving the Vols a walk in the park.

I keep hearing about UTs RBs but so far they haven't proved anything on the college level.

I'm not sure but Vegas knows what they are doing... Utah St started as a 4.5 favorite. Tn is now a 7 point favorite. Sounds good but TN has a home field advantage. Vegas isn't giving the Vols a walk in the park.

I keep hearing about UTs RBs but so far they haven't proved anything on the college level.

You mean besides Lane's 5+ yards per carry?

Not trying to be rude man.... but do you EVER know what you're talking about?

Reactions: 11 people

USU has never been favored by a Vegas betting line for this game.

Reactions: 1 person
The crowd will be a factor. I know they have been to A few big venues the last few years but I still think they will be thunderstruck by Knoxville. I have heard several big time coaches comment after a visit to Knoxville, saying things like, I knew it was loud, but damn. Their is a lot of excitement, I hope we play well. If we don't have many big mistakes we will win by 2 tds plus.
You really think there's going to be a full throated Third Saturday in November level Vol crowd for Utah State? If they score first you'll be able to hear the farts of the guy in the upper deck who asked for extra beans in his Petros.

VN Store

Back