Jamey Chadwell (Coastal Carolina)

Many potential UT football coach names keep being tossed about. Why not consider Jamey Chadwell of Coastal Carolina. He is a native of Johnson City and played QB at ETSU. He has coached at a few small colleges and been a winner each place. At Coastal Carolina this past year he had an undefeated season and was selected the NCAA Coach of the year by four different groups. What more could you ask for a potential UT coach?

I believe Tennessee should go after Jamey Chadwell of Coastal Carolina. Good, young coach from the local area, would be a good role modal for the players.

Chadwell has been a winner at every school as which he has coached. Had an undefeated at Coastal Carolina in 2020...resulted in him being selected as the NCAA Coach of the Year by four different groups and organizations.

No thank you. Luke Fickle is a far better option than him and Bill Clarke would be a better pick than him also. Chadwell will get his chance but having a good season at coastal doesn’t warrant him a job at Tennessee just yet. Now look at the job Fickle has done and he has had them in the top 10 all year or most of it and his teams keep improving and he came from Ohio State to Cincy. If we going to go with young good coach Fickle is it. But if you want someone that has proven that he can beat the big boys of the SEC then Freeze is the call to make.

Been a winner and turned programs at every place he coached...NCAA Coach of the 2020 by four difference groups...that is about as good as it gets.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Been a winner and turned programs at every place he coached...NCAA Coach of the 2020 by four difference groups...that is about as good as it gets.
I’d love it and personally I’d be very disappointed if we hire someone like Dykes or a person with no HC experience over Chadwell. Surely he’d take the job.

Someone hasn't been paying attention for the past several weeks to the list (including Chadwell) of potential head coaches to replace Pruitt.
All the possible candidates have been mentioned in various and sundry sports media for some time now.

Last edited:
And when he left Charleston Southern I believe they was on probation and had to forfeit games they had won due to NCAA violations and also had to forfeit a playoff win if I’m not mistaken.

Many potential UT football coach names keep being tossed about. Why not consider Jamey Chadwell of Coastal Carolina. He is a native of Johnson City and played QB at ETSU. He has coached at a few small colleges and been a winner each place. At Coastal Carolina this past year he had an undefeated season and was selected the NCAA Coach of the year by four different groups. What more could you ask for a potential UT coach?
Can he coach good?
What makes him so good?
Tell us MORE

Reactions: Border Vol
And when he left Charleston Southern I believe they was on probation and had to forfeit games they had won due to NCAA violations and also had to forfeit a playoff win if I’m not mistaken.

Yeah. He's a real bum. He's not half the coach Sonny Dykes is.
Now that's who we need to focus on 👍

Poster in Coachery thread now claiming it’s Elliot.. insider from Clemson said Tennessee offered and he’s accepting.. If so I’m done. I can’t believe we have to hire a coordinator without head coaching experience.

Can he coach good?
What makes him so good?
Tell us MORE
Well I only watched two games they played this year but wow they play with a lot of fire & speed for sure. Defense is aggressive & hits hard. Offense is fast & efficient. Can pound it running or lots quick passes for medium gains. Reminds me of those great Boise teams a few years ago. Who ever heard of Costal before this year other than their baseball program? He beat BYU with their great qb & we didn't. His players seemed to love him.
Their game verse Liberty this year was one of the best games all year. Very entertaining brand of football they play with lots of offense.
He is my choice for an up & comer head coach if we can't land a bigtime D1 guy like Matt Campbell.

Poster in Coachery thread now claiming it’s Elliot.. insider from Clemson said Tennessee offered and he’s accepting.. If so I’m done. I can’t believe we have to hire a coordinator without head coaching experience.
I was thinking the same thing but now that I think about it if he learned anything from Dabo he will let his coordinators do the job. He could potentially put together a great staff around him. Just to think Hobby, Steele, Charlie Harbison(DBs coach from the AZ Cardinals) and Kevin Simon on the defensive side. And on the offense who knows who he would hire but he definitely has the contacts.

Reactions: volfaninky
Serious question, why would we hire Chadwell over Freeze? Either prior infractions are a disqualifier or not. If we’re going into the grey area, I want the best we can get.

Reactions: volfan8
I’m shocked his name hasn’t been mentioned more or in the running for this job. It appears he hasn’t even been contacted or even on the list. Then again who knows

I am 100% on board with Chadwell getting the job...But are the powers that be listening?....Hmmmmm.....

I think starting another thread letting them know you have signed off on and approved Chadwell would be better. I say they simply over looked it in all the post. I will do the same once I come to my decision. 😉

LOL Go Vols!

As someone who was an athlete at CSU the years right before Chadwell I will say what he did with CSU was nothing short of a miracle. And as an athlete that lived in that athletic department for 4 years I will say it was the largest clown show ever. All of the support staff that did the actual work were severely short staffed, not qualified, and some were flat out lazy. I would say the training staff was probably the highlight of the entire athletic department. Chadwell came in after I graduated but I would take him in a heart beat.
We need a miracle at this point. With White surrounding him with legit support staff, that’s good enough for me.

Chadwell isn’t with $7-8 million, but that might mean we could up our salaries for assistants.

It seems that they are targeting P5 guys, if the Franklin, Fleck and Campbell smoke can be counted upon. I would rather have Chadwell than any of the list of Sonny Dykes, Tony Elliott, Billy Napier, etc's of up and comers, and I personally would much rather take a chance on someone I think will be a big time coach in years to come with Chadwell than a retread like Herman or Malzahn. That said, poaching a sitting Power Conference coach would bring a level of caché with it, and I understand that appeal.

It is nice to see the AD actually realizing that the Tennessee job is valuable, and legitimately pursuing high profile coaches with gusto. It's also nice that we don't know his every whereabouts, because if feels like the guy may actually know what he's doing.

I agree that Chadwell could knock it out of the park here, and he's been my top choice this whole time. I certainly wouldn't understand plucking someone from a similar level that is not him.
Chadwell might be a high risk / high reward type of guy. But that’s better than high risk / low reward types like Pruitt.

Jamey said he had always been a UT fan, wanted to play there but wasn't good enough.

Reactions: norrislakevol

VN Store

Back