Jayson Swain on Finebaum

That doesn't make him right or wrong about anything. Swain isn't likely to get what he wants from the program or access to the program until Jones is gone. He certainly expresses no love or support for Jones... and Jones has no reason for rewarding him for taking that position.

Jones lost A game in 2017. IMO, this season is like a student whose semester grade is hovering just below what he needs to preserve his financial aid. He needs to score a solid "B" to get out of trouble now and an "A" to really get on good standing. The test has started. Jones just missed a question. He has 9 more questions and needs to get 6 or 7 of them right.

If he fails... my skepticism will be confirmed. I'll become one of the loudest voices here calling for him to go. The stuff going on over one... SICKENING... loss is starting to be over the top. If he combines that with a win or two vs LSU/UGA/Bama then this will be forgiven. If he doesn't... we can have a real conversation.
Actually he lost two, he just found a GT team that found away to snatch defeat from victory. I wouldnt say Butch coached winning football against GT. Sometime you lose games that you coach winning football. Sometimes you win games that you have no business winning.
Conclusion, you can't always measure the QUALITY of coaching on the outcome.
However, over the season the truth will come to the surface. If the coaching (game planning, decision making, etc) we've seen so far continues, Butch will not beat a tram of significance.

Reactions: 2 people
I love Swain's no excuses take. This is after Griffith went on and made many spoon fed excuses straight from Butch, laying the groundwork and foundation for why it should be completely acceptable to go out and lose to Florida...

When your PR as a team before Florida is:

1. 27 players never been to swamp.
2. Young team for 5th year in a row.
3. 3 games in three weeks or 13 days, if you cherry pick the calendar.
3b. 18-4 if rule above is followed appropriately(cherry picking).
4. Mike Hart and GaTech made Florida game harder to win, somehow.

This was the official UTAD talking points BEFORE THE FREAKING GAME!

SWAIN IS RIGHT, and BUTCH is a joke, and so is this BS of shying away from naming championships as goals, Butch dont like to be pinned down on the concept of winning championships. No sir, he just wants to be 1-0 every week, and that loser a$$ mentality infects the entire program, this whole shy away from expectations and responsibilities Butch Jones pansy a$$ mission statement definitely gives succor to all the weak-willed fans who will willingly suck.

One of Jones' major flaws is that his pre-made excuses possibly intended to lower expectations actually seem to create self-fulfilling prophecies. He talked all summer about how UT would only get 50 plays vs GT... then his coaching fulfilled that and allowed them 96. His complaining about things going into UF... provided ready made excuses for the players not to expect to win.

If you want to win, you never say anything privately or publicly that doesn't exude the attitude that you expect to win. Fans need that... but players REQUIRE IT.

Reactions: 6 people
Listening to all these Florida fans calling into Finebaum and pleading for gators to fire MacElwain. And that's with consecutive division championships. Yet, Butch Jones can't get over.500 against bottom tier teams and there are still ppl defending him. It's insane.

You'd think our fans would have better expectations in year 5...

He is not much of a speaker but Swain calls it like it is! Funny how VFL poeple are until a VFL has a different opinion than them! lol

Actually he lost two, he just found a GT team that found away to snatch defeat from victory.
If you're going to say that then you have to acknowledge the reverse in the UF game. At least UT didn't heave a last second 3 point shot from the opposite inline.

I wouldnt say Butch coached winning football against GT. Sometime you lose games that you coach winning football. Sometimes you win games that you have no business winning.
I might not either... and I wouldn't say he coached "losing" football vs UF. In all, I would rather swap the wins but it doesn't work that way.
Conclusion, you can't always measure the QUALITY of coaching on the outcome.
Agree. But any measure you use should be "blind"... same for your guy and the opponent.

However, over the season the truth will come to the surface. If the coaching (game planning, decision making, etc) we've seen so far continues, Butch will not beat a tram of significance.
Been saying something similar since he lost to Vandy in the first year.

Listening to all these Florida fans calling into Finebaum and pleading for gators to fire MacElwain. And that's with consecutive division championships. Yet, Butch Jones can't get over.500 against bottom tier teams and there are still ppl defending him. It's insane.

Gators have dumbasses too.

People still defend Mac.

Insane. Ain't it?

Thought Swain killed it. He put UT in a good light. No more excuses. Get back to the championship mentality that we once had. There's a reason people are so confused about UT. Gimmicks and excuses have no place here. Meet expectations or get out.

Reactions: 7 people

His recruiting is horrible. His caretaking abilities is nonexistent. Their APR isn't good.

He is not much of a speaker but Swain calls it like it is! Funny how VFL poeple are until a VFL has a different opinion than them! lol

Swain and his partner started the Crowder punch BS last year. I'm sure he got cut off from any press, practices or interviews.

I'm not surprised he bad mouths Jones after last year.

You'd think our fans would have better expectations in year 5...

I think there is some fans who use the game as just a social gathering and as long as we win some games plus give em a bowl to travel to and vacation at they are happy. Others eat sleep and breath UT football and want us to compete with the best in the land! Not saying either side is better or worse just different expectations!

Except according to Jones... his O is flexible enough not to depend on the zone read.

Give Dormady a good pocket and receivers that consistently perform their assignments... and the O will be fine. He's made his own mistakes due to being a starter for the first time but they've been grossly magnified by the receivers and occasionally the OL... particularly one OL.

If you have receivers who miss their assignments then add a QB much more likely than the current QB to miss his assignments... that's not going to improve the O.

And... who says JG is ready to run the zone read in the SEC? He is nowhere near as strong or big as Dobbs was.

Dobb's wasn't exactly big as a F or So..He didn't start getting big till his JR/SR years.

Reactions: 1 person
That doesn't make him right or wrong about anything. Swain isn't likely to get what he wants from the program or access to the program until Jones is gone. He certainly expresses no love or support for Jones... and Jones has no reason for rewarding him for taking that position.

Swain probably lost his access with any coach that will ever be at Tennessee. He had made too many big blunders stirring up things where absolutely nothing existed.

He couldn't be any worse.

Yes he sure could. Remember Peterman at the swamp in 2013? Crompton versus Auburn in 2008? Worley running the read option? We could definitely do worse than QD last Saturday. And based on what I've seen JG would have definitely been worse than QD.

We who donate money, buy tickets, buy merchandise, food, fill Neyland most certainly are the caretakers of Tennessee football. We are the ones who stop doing all those things when apathy sets in, and forces change. If you doubt that, you are clueless about how big time CFB works, Ask Phillip Fulmer.

You are all really stretching this. I didn't watch the show, I had to work, but if Swain said something stupid like that he lacks understanding of the english.

I thought he spoke nothing but the truth. It's Year 5. No more excuses. So what JG didn't take an under center snap all week. What's the worst that could happen? Dormady threw an interception at the goal line. That goes against all the sayings for a QB in the red zone. I highly doubt JG would've fumbled a snap and even if he did, at least we wouldn't be getting onto the coaches for not trying to run the ball on the goal line. Coach the game smarter, not harder Butch/Scott.

Someone mentioned that JG does take snaps under center in practice like all the QBs do, but Butch was actually referring to warm up snaps on the sideline.

VN Store

Back