JG 13 of 24 for 164 against Alabama

True. Knowing that JG was our quarterback, our coaching staff conceded the loss before we ever took the field. They didn’t even attempt to score points, which was obvious to everyone once JG walked on the field.

How did we get to the point that we feel we had to game plan for a fifth year senior just to not get blown out? Because that's what I saw. And we still did. Hello apathy my old friend...

Nope. UT will never compete for big bowls, sec championships, or nattys with QBs like JG. Its a verifiable fact.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Does anyone believe this Tennessee team has a chance of wining with these numbers?
We have two third down backs that go down usually after the first hit, while our opponents backs drag our linemen for yards after contact. Henry T didn’t have his best game and he is our best defender.
Gray was running as hard as he could.

He didn't turn the ball over and hit a couple of deep passes. Tennessee doesn't have Bama talent and a game manager for this offense really isn't enough. You need a QB that can elevate the team. I can't see anything they really do well other than run right up the middle, you can't do that all day. The offense is terrible and most of the reason they've got the brakes beat off of them. The Hyatt kid can be your deep threat, the Johnson kid your slot guy, still don't have a runningback with any size, don't really use the TE either. I don't know why we're paying Jim Chaney big bucks for what we're seeing. I just want to see how a different QB works in this offense, for more than one token series i might add.

In 10 years I’m hoping we’re not reminiscing about that time when JG took Tennessee to the Gator Bowl and beat mighty Indiana.....thinking......ahh the good old days.
The game was won despite JG. He put us in a big hole with inept players and we needed a miracle onside kick recovery to win the game.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
True. Knowing that JG was our quarterback, our coaching staff conceded the loss before we ever took the field. They didn’t even attempt to score points, which was obvious to everyone once JG walked on the field.

THIS!! To paraphrase Einstein, "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result each time is insanity."

Alabama chose to not blitz and was heavy in coverage. You could say Saban didn’t feel the need to blitz us because he didn’t respect our offense. Different gameplan than Georgia. Both strategies worked.
Fits with long-term strategy. Keep UT down and in turmoil so they will never beat us. Don't blitz and risk hurting JG cause they might find their "Unicorn" and start winning again....

Was there one positon group that did help us?
No. Even tootoo got blown out at times. Im sorry but him losing so much weight seems to have really cost his ability to take on blockers. He gets manhandled by them at times. And pruitt said that was planned. But with our defense kinda sucking, I'm not sure he should have lost that much weight. He should have stayed like a mlb looks.

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
JG certainly didn’t play a bad game.....but it sure looked like the coaches didn’t trust him to try and actually win....or compete.

also not saying that is entirely his fault.....if he’s starting he should be given full reign.
Yep. That’s 100% on the coaches.

Reactions: JoAllan
About 5 possible TDs perfectly thrown. 2 perrrfectly defended by Bama's stud Surtain and guess they called Hyatt out of bounds on another. Another play Hyatt ran wrong route and collided with Palmer. Could have easily thrown for 350, 3-5 TDs but keep complaining.
Look -- he is not very good, and because of that the offense is not very good. If you are a db you really only have to defend the long pass where he has plenty of time and doesn't have to be precise. He is a dc's dream. You know he can't complete any timing patterns on time, no intermediate routes, slants don't stand a chance, bring everyone up and shut down the run - and you shut down UT. He can't complete third down passes, or passes in the red zone, he can't manage the offense, he never seems to check to the right play, he can't go through progressions, he has a long slow delivery cycle, and he telegraphs where he is throwing it. As a result of the above, the offense can't sustain drives, the defense is on the field the equivalent of two games each game, and so we suck. He has also continued to grade out very, very poorly -- passes over 10 yards, and is in the bottom tier of the NCAA among quarterbacks. He might be the greatest guy ever, but he is not a good quarterback. Do we have a better one? possibly not, but at this point, you really have nothing to lose. Losing by 27 at home to KY jelly calls for change, it might work, it might not work, but it has to be tried.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
The last time we beat bama was in 06. Eric Ainge was the QB, Fulmer the coach. Ainge throws 3 INTs and we win by 3 points. We need more talent. We have some, but not enough. bama has 5* bench warmers. We need more talent. Pruitt has been used to having a wealth of talent to coach, now he doesn't. He has to get the most out of what he has and get more talent as well. I don't know at this point if he has it in him.

So what the solution guys?

Evidently we have soft running back that cant break tackles or long runs, an overrated oline that cant open holes or protect against edge rushers, a non existant tight end, and receivers that can not get separation.

So we throw a in quarterback with limited game experience and devise an intricate game play & expect execution? Or....

Throw in a quarterback with limited game experience and dummy down the game plan - and expect our soft RBS to all of a sudden get huge runs. That overrated offense line to start protecting and opening up big holes. A tight end that the defense actually has to account for. And our wide receivers all of a sudden separating and making plays? All based of skills alone, because we have to have a vanilla game plan?

The problem is what you re describing in what we would have to do with a lesser experienced QB is not much different than what we are doing with a 5th year Sr now. Its the biggest reason why this offense is stuck in neutral. Theres no reason why we should be protecting a guy that has played that much football because we are scared of his decisions. If you re still waiting on that to take at this point you are fooling yourself.

A change at the position is not going to suddenly open the offense up in the short term, but what it does do is give you something to start building on. You can either get an early start on that which could start showing results before this season is over or wait til next year and be guessing what you have at QB.

Reactions: amavol2
JG certainly didn’t play a bad game.....but it sure looked like the coaches didn’t trust him to try and actually win....or compete.

also not saying that is entirely his fault.....if he’s starting he should be given full reign.
Probably my biggest beef with the decision making at this point. The book is out for the rest of the DCs on the schedule. (If things stay as they are) Its the same book as last year which makes for an easy quick read.

If you re gonna play him, let him play. If you re scared of him, move on and develop a plan around somebody else.

Piss poor offensive play calling. Lack of defense. That is what killed us.

You sound like Coach Headinthesand. Keep making those excuses.

90% of our offensive possessions were under two minutes, a couple of them under one. And yet, you blame the defense who is on the field against the top explosive offense in the country for 35 minutes...

Reactions: Tnphil
The game was won despite JG. He put us in a big hole with inept players and we needed a miracle onside kick recovery to win the game.

I watched that film again right before this season started. It's difficult to describe how terrible QB1 was in that game. It was clearly one of the worst QB performances I've seen in my 40 years watching UT play football. We literally won it despite him, not bc of him.

JG did not hurt us vs Bama
No, but he didn't really lead us either. It's pathetic that we've gotten to the point of where we are happy when JG doesn't hurt us. Of course he actually did hurt us a couple of times throwing a bullet to a draped receiver on third and short. And once again, he often makes the wrong decision on RPO plays. He had all day to throw and receivers were open because this isn't one of Bama's better defenses. Look at Ole Miss and what they did to this defense and they don't have the talent we do. Says a lot about our QB but even more about JP

VN Store

Back