JG 13 of 24 for 164 against Alabama

Does anyone believe this Tennessee team has a chance of wining with these numbers?
We have two third down backs that go down usually after the first hit, while our opponents backs drag our linemen for yards after contact. Henry T didn’t have his best game and he is our best defender.
If we're rushing for 250+ yards, yes.

Fact is he threw for 164 and had one of his better games. 350 and 5 tds lol gtfo
Fact is he did his job. Real analysts look at what the person actually did. PFF graded him well with a strong running grade. He threw tons of elite deep passes. Can't help Hyatt was called out, Hyatt and Palmer ran into each other, 2 TDs were perrrfectly thrown into the endzone but one of the best CBs in the entire country broke then up.

Reactions: k-town_king
Better passing game yesterday than in 2015 or 2016 when we had a much better overall team. Yet Bama did not have 12 pts in the 4th quarter like 2015. They had 34 or 41 or however against our 1-ply defense. Fact is we needed our hyped defense to stand up vs bama in order to win and that didn't happen.

Oh well. I think defense will improve and we'll have a more complete team down the stretch and into next year. Not giving up on CJP yet. He's coached top defenses before...he knows how to do it.

He didn't turn the ball over and hit a couple of deep passes. Tennessee doesn't have Bama talent and a game manager for this offense really isn't enough. You need a QB that can elevate the team. I can't see anything they really do well other than run right up the middle, you can't do that all day. The offense is terrible and most of the reason they've got the brakes beat off of them. The Hyatt kid can be your deep threat, the Johnson kid your slot guy, still don't have a runningback with any size, don't really use the TE either. I don't know why we're paying Jim Chaney big bucks for what we're seeing. I just want to see how a different QB works in this offense, for more than one token series i might add.
In reply to your last sentence, I would also
but it won't happen until Pruitt puts his boy
on the bench permanently!!

Fact is he did his job. Real analysts look at what the person actually did. PFF graded him well with a strong running grade. He threw tons of elite deep passes. Can't help Hyatt was called out, Hyatt and Palmer ran into each other, 2 TDs were perrrfectly thrown into the endzone but one of the best CBs in the entire country broke then up.

He did what was asked of him. The issue is that what was asked of him wasn't nearly enough, and his coaches were afraid to ask any more.

The problem is what you re describing in what we would have to do with a lesser experienced QB is not much different than what we are doing with a 5th year Sr now. Its the biggest reason why this offense is stuck in neutral. Theres no reason why we should be protecting a guy that has played that much football because we are scared of his decisions. If you re still waiting on that to take at this point you are fooling yourself.

A change at the position is not going to suddenly open the offense up in the short term, but what it does do is give you something to start building on. You can either get an early start on that which could start showing results before this season is over or wait til next year and be guessing what you have at QB.

Thats more than fair...in all honesty I was trying to spark an actual discussion. Everyone says ahh bench JG need HB or BM, but nobody wants to identify how this affects the hopeful/current offensive philosophies and the variables going forward in changing them.

Its obvious that Chaney/Pruitt had higher hopes and confidence in JG going into the season. We saw against SC more long developing plays, different route combos, etc....This devolved into what we saw against Alabama, which can be summed up by running on 3rd and long down multiple scores, multiple times.

It tells me the original thought was we could put a lot on this 5th year senior, finally in consecuative years with the same OC, to put it together. It hasnt happened & our complimentary parts arent good enough to overcome that.

So really, what is, or has there been a backup plan? What can we put on the other QBs considering our other parts, including our defense, that gives us the best chance to win?

I don't envy Pruitt or Chaneys decision, but thats why they make the money they do. JG is a strange case study. Hes experienced enough to give a lot of responsibilities and trust to make the right calls in an incricate system, but combustible enough to make the wrong read and dreadful play. On the other hand, hes shown that he can be a good enough game manager against worse opponents and make enough plays & few mistakes to win.

This is why Im not an SEC coach, but I can see that the solution, isnt as cut & dry as most want to make it. If let HB play and take his lumps and lose to Arky, the Fahr Pruitt crowd will get even louder. Is that what we need to do to get to point we are competetive with Fla on December 5th? Is the fanbase suddenly going to be patient with Pruitt? Do we keep starting JG, even though that may give us the best chance to beat everyone except Fla on the schedule, but at the same time realize it gives us no chance to beat Fla, little chance to beat A&M, and could cause us to lose any given game to anyone else. Including Vandy!?!

Georgia had the best defense any of had seen this year. The end result was similar to ours.

Pruitt doesn't let a 5 star kid woo him into starting time unless he earns it. Butch would be a 5 stars b***h. Piss the whole team off by letting them play when they sucked at practice. Building a team the right way takes development. You have to earn it.

Reactions: MiramarVol
The other qbs would have been even worse.

That is where we are as a program.

How do we know for sure that the other QBs would have been worse? How are they going to get better if not given the chances to improve? Speaking of chances, how many do we need to give JG before we see he's not the answer. Rhetorical question honestly because he's been given way too many chances, never improves and literally everyone can see that, except for our coach and maybe 2 or 3 on here.

Better passing game yesterday than in 2015 or 2016 when we had a much better overall team. Yet Bama did not have 12 pts in the 4th quarter like 2015. They had 34 or 41 or however against our 1-ply defense. Fact is we needed our hyped defense to stand up vs bama in order to win and that didn't happen.

Oh well. I think defense will improve and we'll have a more complete team down the stretch and into next year. Not giving up on CJP yet. He's coached top defenses before...he knows how to do it.

I'll repeat:
9/10 possessions in the first three quarters lasted well under 2 minutes.
4/16 on 3rd down conversions.
Barely completed 50% of his passes.
Yes that's definitely a winning performance by quarterback and the fault of the defense... Good grief. Better passing game? Defense didn't stand up? Ridiculous

Reactions: VolArmy74

Tons of elite deep passes? What game were you watching? He threw three. Elite, though? Tons of them? Let's be real.

113 of his 164 yards came on those three passes. That means the entire rest of the game he managed a whopping 51 yards passing and somewhere between one and two minutes time of possession. Not even good QB play. Much less elite.

Reactions: Godfatha

VN Store

Back