Jimmy Cheek stepping down!

This could be a really good thing, depending on where they go with the search for a replacement. It all hinges on that. As a recent graduate, I can tell you he was not a friend among many of the students. Some of his decisions that he made to "better protect and serve" the students were not quite so student-friendly.

He was not kind to the Greek system, granted Pike brought shame on our university, but he pretty much tried to erase it from existence. I know Greek kids get a bad rap, but it's due to a lot of bad press and only reporting on the negatives and not the positives. Hopefully his removal will help to improve relations with the administration, especially since the vast majority of campus leadership positions are held by Greek kids.

Oh shut up frat star.

Reactions: 21 people

Care to elaborate?

Because under Cheek while I was in school, I saw numerous great adjunct faculty members laid off, more administrators (pure waste, frankly) hired, a man pushing the BOT for raises for himself while simultaneously lobbying for tuition increases, the leveling of a recently renovated building while ignoring complete deterioration at several others, and a general move away from being a flagship for public education and pressing UT into another pointless, moderately effective research institution.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
It will be a good start. His replacement needs thick skin and hopefully some love for athletics.

He tried to bring UT in top 25 public universities. I don't think it was his job to think about athletics. That's Dave Hart's job.

He made a few mistakes down the line, but he definitely contributed in retaining good staff and bringing in research money which is essential to provide good education!

Reactions: 3 people
He tried to bring UT in top 25 public universities. I don't think it was his job to think about athletics. That's Dave Hart's job.

He made a few mistakes down the line, but he definitely contributed in retaining good staff and bringing in research money which is essential to provide good education!

IF it is used appropriately.

Cheek failed to bring in what's needed for education- teachers- and instead brought in researchers, overhead, and administrators while ballooning class sizes. You can read my other post to see other concerns I had with him.

Let's not mention how pointless a goal being top 25 in any overall university ranking is.

I was at etsu when he was hired. He is a good guy, got to talk him a couple times very nice, and he was actually asking questions on how he could help make the university better. It doesn't hurt he brought back football either.

Sounds like a home run to me. I like that he went to UT too. Hate to see a great university like ETSU lose such a well-liked man, but if it's going to happen, let his destination be UT!

Reactions: 1 person
IF it is used appropriately.

Cheek failed to bring in what's needed for education- teachers- and instead brought in researchers, overhead, and administrators while ballooning class sizes. You can read my other post to see other concerns I had with him.

During the whole "Top 25 Initiative" we managed to fall in our school ranking overall and only improved in 3 different areas of study. That's a pretty sad outlook.

During the whole "Top 25 Initiative" we managed to fall in our school ranking overall and only improved in 3 different areas of study. That's a pretty sad outlook.

I did not actually know that at all.

So not only did the man pick a pointless goal, but he failed at achieving it.

I did not actually know that at all.

So not only did the man pick a pointless goal, but he failed at achieving it.

To be fair, I believe what he really wanted was to be a Top 25 Research Institution, but he didn't exactly do a good job making it very clear. Either way you look at it, he still failed to do what he wanted to accomplish.

It will be a good start. His replacement needs thick skin and hopefully some love for athletics.

I totally disagree with any implication that athletics should rule the University. The replacement should support athletics as well as every other program at UT. BUT his number one priority has to be 100% academics. Again, strive to be great at everything, but academics come first. Sorry to all of the Neanderthals out there.

And, yes, I follow the athletics as much as anybody.

Reactions: 6 people

Why can't people see this when it is so obvious. I am so tired of the "let's fire everybody" mentality of many on here. I am no hung up on Cheek, but the grass is not always greener elsewhere. If any group should know this, it should be us.

Reactions: 3 people
Why can't people see this when it is so obvious. I am so tired of the "let's fire everybody" mentality of many on here. I am no hung up on Cheek, but the grass is not always greener elsewhere. If any group should know this, it should be us.

I agree with your general point.

I look at Cheek primarily from an academics side, because from what I can tell he has less impact on athletics than many people here think.

From an academic side, he is a disaster.

Reactions: 1 person
This could be a really good thing, depending on where they go with the search for a replacement. It all hinges on that. As a recent graduate, I can tell you he was not a friend among many of the students. Some of his decisions that he made to "better protect and serve" the students were not quite so student-friendly.

He was not kind to the Greek system, granted Pike brought shame on our university, but he pretty much tried to erase it from existence. I know Greek kids get a bad rap, but it's due to a lot of bad press and only reporting on the negatives and not the positives. Hopefully his removal will help to improve relations with the administration, especially since the vast majority of campus leadership positions are held by Greek kids.

Muslim extremists get a bad rap for the same reason. Campus leadership, I have to laugh!

Muslim extremists get a bad rap for the same reason. Campus leadership, I have to laugh!

Are you really comparing radical Islamic terrorists to some fraternity guys drinking too much? Yes it's stupid for them to do that, but my lord this could be one of the dumbest comparisons I have ever read.

Reactions: 10 people
I was at etsu when he was hired. He is a good guy, got to talk him a couple times very nice, and he was actually asking questions on how he could help make the university better. It doesn't hurt he brought back football either.

He has radically changed the face of that campus. As an ETSU alum, if he has to go somewhere, I hope it's UT.

VN Store

Back