Johnathan Kongbo rti interview

I meant our fans and band mocking their chant, not sure if that was clear.
it was, i'd rather hear Rocky Top.
We did exactly that in 1990 up 45-3
that doesn't make it right.

i get it, but i'd rather send every gator in the building home with Rocky Top so ingrained it never leaves their heads.

i've heard the Gator crap enough in all these losses. i sure don't want to hear it if we win.

Reactions: 1 person
Last year before the UF game we had Butch giving sound bites about how many players had never flown on a plane before. That's weak sauce. The enemy sees you making excuses for a loss before you even play the game. With talk like this, it tells them you aren't afraid. When we go up on UF by 14 and Kongbo is living in their backfield, then that tiny voice in the back of their heads will start to think "maybe this guy was right".

This 100%. I think our players genuinely expect to win every game next year; it's only Tennessee fans who still hold some kind of irrational/superstitious inferiority complex when it comes to Florida and Alabama. Florida's football team especially is a hot mess right now, and any rational neutral observer would peg them as a multiple-touchdown underdog against us in Neyland Stadium this year. But you'd never know it from reading some of the posts on here.

For those saying the players should just stay quiet, keep in mind that our players didn't start it. Jalen Tabor and Lane Kiffin fired the first shots, so we're just responding honestly and in kind. Our roster is too stacked and experienced now to hide behind excuses or remain silent when we're challenged publicly. Our coaches and players know we've got the best team in the SEC, so it's time we fans start embracing that.

Reactions: 5 people
Last year before the UF game we had Butch giving sound bites about how many players had never flown on a plane before. That's weak sauce. The enemy sees you making excuses for a loss before you even play the game. With talk like this, it tells them you aren't afraid. When we go up on UF by 14 and Kongbo is living in their backfield, then that tiny voice in the back of their heads will start to think "maybe this guy was right".

I agree! The timid approach has not worked. Let's be a little brash for once and see what happens.

Reactions: 2 people
Exactly. Team 120 hold themselves to championship standards. I know many on VN have unsteady knees when it comes to UF and Bama. But if you're a true competitor you walk into that stadium with solid belief you've done your preparation to win, now you go out and perform at whatever level it takes to win, not surprised when you do. It's all in or your beaten before ever taking the field. Team 120 is all in, they could care less about streaks, predictions, or shaky knees by VN posters.

Most of these kids are 4 and 5 star recruits that turned down offers from Alabama and Florida to play at Tennessee. Why would they be scared of them?

I agree, I don't think I've heard a player in the past several years come out and say "we are going to beat UF/Bama." It's a mentality to have because even games when we should've beaten them the players weren't confident (aka the last 4 years we've played them).

How could they? They were inferior talents. Our guys now are the same caliber of talents Alabama has recruited over the years. Hell many of them turned down Alabama to play here.

Back then they had reason to fear Bama and Florida. They knew they were not as talented. Our guys now know were the most talented team on the field everytime we play.

How could they? They were inferior talents. Our guys now are the same caliber of talents Alabama has recruited over the years. Hell many of them turned down Alabama to play here.

Back then they had reason to fear Bama and Florida. They knew they were not as talented. Our guys now know were the most talented team on the field everytime we play.

how you figure?

Bama's been recruiting #1 classes 6 years in a row or whatever.

can we not just leave it at "the gap between TN and the top tier teams in the league has/is vanishing".

we're not the most talented team everytime we play now. that's a ridiculous statement.

:blink:

I rather have a D linemen with confidence and an attitude. I don't see him trash talking but talking like a badass is supposed to talk.

Can you explain how that's possible for Kongbo to do in April? If not then maybe you could quit whining

It's not. Therefor shut up until you do. We look pretty retarded talking **** when we've been getting blown out of the water by both of them for a decade. Sorry us darn millennials are too rational to see that.

how you figure?

Bama's been recruiting #1 classes 6 years in a row or whatever.

can we not just leave it at "the gap between TN and the top tier teams in the league has/is vanishing".

we're not the most talented team everytime we play now. that's a ridiculous statement.

:blink:

Just because you have the #1 class doesn't mean its the most talented. For exanple, Alabama's 2013 class was rated #1 but Ohio State's #2 rated class has proven to be SIGNIFICANTLY better. With guys like Ezekiel Elliott, Joey Bosa, Darron Lee, Eli Apple, and Vonn Bell all being projected as 1st round picks. Alabama's 2013 on the other hand has only A'Shawn Robinson and if he's lucky Derrick Henry as potential 1st round picks.

Classes rated 1-5 are essentially the same. Same with 6-10, 11-15, and so on. The big differences happen when comparing a class rated in the top 5 to one in the 20s.

Reactions: 4 people
Just because you have the #1 class doesn't mean its the most talented. For exanple, Alabama's 2013 class was rated #1 but Ohio State's #2 rated class has proven to be SIGNIFICANTLY better. With guys like Ezekiel Elliott, Joey Bosa, Darron Lee, Eli Apple, and Vonn Bell all being projected as 1st round picks. Alabama's 2013 on the other hand has only A'Shawn Robinson and if he's lucky Derrick Henry as potential 1st round picks.

Classes rated 1-5 are essentially the same. Same with 6-10, 11-15, and so on. The big differences happen when comparing a class rated in the top 5 to one in the 20s.

there's nothing you can post that empirically proves we're always the most talented team when we play them.

just stop. you try to hard. leave the agenda at home.

It's not. Therefor shut up until you do. We look pretty retarded talking **** when we've been getting blown out of the water by both of them for a decade. Sorry us darn millennials are too rational to see that.

These kids haven't. Maybe you as a fan should shut up. But why should a 5-star player who Alabama was begging to sign just months ago care about what's happened in the past.

The kids an elite player and has the confidence and swagger of an elite player.

Keep your whining to yourself. I love the swagger of our players like Kongbo. He's got no reason to care about what happened before he signed.

Reactions: 5 people
These kids haven't. Maybe you as a fan should shut up. But why should a 5-star player who Alabama was begging to sign just months ago care about what's happened in the past.

The kids an elite player and has the confidence and swagger of an elite player.

Keep your whining to yourself. I love the swagger of our players like Kongbo. He's got no reason to care about what happened before he signed.

pot, meet kettle.......jeez. dude you need to take something. it's not going out on a ledge to say "hey, we haven't been setting the world on fire, so let's chill out on the trash talk".

it is actually a completely understandable opinion to have.

remember...it's an opinion.......:thumbsup:

We need someone on team 120 to come out and make the statement " I will not lose another game in a UT uniform" :)

oh, preferably a freshman !!!

pot, meet kettle.......jeez. dude you need to take something. it's not going out on a ledge to say "hey, we haven't been setting the world on fire, so let's chill out on the trash talk".

it is actually a completely understandable opinion to have.

remember...it's an opinion.......:thumbsup:

No. That's how weak people think. And if our players still thought that way, those losing steaks would extend even longer.

I'd rather our guys be the offensive than be back on their heels defending.

Reactions: 4 people
No. That's how weak people think. And if our players still thought that way, those losing steaks would extend even longer.

offensive with their mouths doesn't mean diddly when they get on the field.

especially the last decade +. win a damn game.

I'm new to posting..but :rock: on D4H on this matter. The somewhat "passive" approach to a season will result in what happened last year. Dominating teams that have dominated us in the past (Oklahoma, Florida), then it was almost like we were surprised we were ahead by 2 scores in the 4th quarter and didn't have to confidence or something like a killer instinct to keep on pressing. Having an attitude like Kongbo is exactly what this team needs. We clearly have the talent to hang with ANYONE in the country. But to really defeat an opponent, you have to believe that you are without a doubt better than they are. Next time we go up 2 scores on a rival, or even one score, every man clad in an orange jersey needs to smell blood and finish it. Saying things like this in an interview isn't trash talk. It's confidence, swagger, and setting a standard. I doubt he would have said that if the whole team doesn't feel the same way.

Reactions: 8 people
Trash talk is "FREE"...
Victory requires a "price"..."TALENT, HARD WORK, 100% DEDICATION (everyone focused on the end goal), PHYSICAL / MENTAL TOUGHNESS, SELF / TEAM CONFIDENCE, ABSOLUTE REFUSAL TO LOSE, ETC.

Tennessee has failed miserably in the "paying the price for victory" category for years. That has now been addressed and remedied. It's time the leaders "players" of team 120 "lead". The rest will take care of itself.

Someone is pretty sensitive. What's the harm if they talk a bit and believe in themselves?

You aren't being rational, you're being soft and timid. Thankfully it seems our players don't suffer from the same frail mentality

Reactions: 9 people
offensive with their mouths doesn't mean diddly when they get on the field.

especially the last decade +. win a damn game.

And it doesn't mean diddly from a first year player in April either. Battered fan syndrome is becoming a damn epidemic. Some of you need to learn how to enjoy being a fan

Reactions: 6 people

D4H I hear what you're saying and I have no problem with a little talk. Especially in response to a punk like Tabor smacking off to Hurd. But I will tell you that one of the most physical players I ever played with was the most polite and respectful players I ever played with. Confidence exudes in different ways with different players.

VN Store

Back