Johnathan Kongbo rti interview

It's not. Therefor shut up until you do. We look pretty retarded talking **** when we've been getting blown out of the water by both of them for a decade. Sorry us darn millennials are too rational to see that.

Sounds to me like you millennials may quite possibly just be a bunch of damn wusses.

"Oh, let's not talk trash until we beat them. Probably shouldn't talk trash if we beat them either. We want them to leave feeling good about their experience here, so they'll talk good about us".

Have you ever played a sport in your life? For that matter, have you ever played board game in your life? Trash talk is part of being an athlete and fan alike.

Rational my ass. Wuss I say. Wuss!

Grow a pair.

Reactions: 15 people
And it doesn't mean diddly from a first year player in April either. Battered fan syndrome is becoming a damn epidemic. Some of you need to learn how to enjoy being a fan

go read my first posts in this thread. then get back to me pj.

if you or d4h can't understand why a tn fan would rather "put up or shut up", then you've not been paying attention fro the last 10 years.

it's a freakin opinion. one that i don't even share, but i understand it. i'm glad we have guys like this on this team.

Reactions: 1 person
IMO UT has a lot of UT fans that have become fragile. The way I look at it we should embrace the off season hype and enjoy the trash talk. We have been in the seller dweller for the last decade. It's about time we are talked about and feared. Team 120 has depth, talent and experience to play with anyone. And more importantly the battle scars. Drink that big orange Kool-Aid and regain the swag like team 120. Vols are gonna lay the wood this fall so get your popcorn ready! GBO!

Reactions: 5 people
I'd rather actually beat Florida and Alabama than talk trash about beating them and lose for the 12th/10th year in a row.

You REALLY call that trash-talk. If we lose to or beat either FL or AL, this is kongbo confident conference talk, or KCCT, not trash talk, imo.

It's not. Therefor shut up until you do. We look pretty retarded talking **** when we've been getting blown out of the water by both of them for a decade. Sorry us darn millennials are too rational to see that.

Please don't give the rest of Vol Nation the impression that all millennials share this attitude ;)

Reactions: 3 people
Last year before the UF game we had Butch giving sound bites about how many players had never flown on a plane before.

Looking back, the talking of these facts would have been to our benefit, ONLY had we won. Otherwise, it's under-bridge water, because Team 120 is now a grown man and ready to go.

Sounds to me like you millennials may quite possibly just be a bunch of damn wusses.

"Oh, let's not talk trash until we beat them. Probably shouldn't talk trash if we beat them either. We want them to leave feeling good about their experience here, so they'll talk good about us".

Have you ever played a sport in your life? For that matter, have you ever played board game in your life? Trash talk is part of being an athlete and fan alike.

Rational my ass. Wuss I say. Wuss!

Grow a pair.
What you said!

i agree. personally, i like the "speak softly, carry a big stick" approach.

but either way, i like the confidence. as long as it is that....confidence, not cockiness or over confident.

they still have to be hungry. b/c we haven't proven anything on the field with those teams yet.

if i'm fl or bama, my attitude would be "talk is cheap".

so, we get to go out next season and find out.:thumbsup:

Agree. :aggressive:

go read my first posts in this thread. then get back to me pj.

if you or d4h can't understand why a tn fan would rather "put up or shut up", then you've not been paying attention fro the last 10 years.

it's a freakin opinion. one that i don't even share, but i understand it. i'm glad we have guys like this on this team.

PJ may or may not respond to you, but I will. I've been listening to/watching UT football since 1969/70ish. Even through the years I was over seas, I would have tapes of every game sent to me (a lot of times already knowing the outcome before I got it) and watched them. The sorry assed reasoning of "you must not have paid attention to the last 10 yrs" is just as weak as the battered fan syndrome itself.

Through 45+ years of following UT football, I have never had that kind of mentality. I would dare say, most people who have followed UT football for any length of time....not just the last 10 years, probably feel like me, and no, we don't understand this mentality.

If your team is playing my team. I'm talking trash. If your team beats my team....I'm still talking trash. Why? Because I don't like your damn team. If my team wins, the level of obnoxiousness will be ten fold.

Of course this is JMO. :)

Reactions: 9 people

Look at last year, FL (missed fg's, ok; a few coaching blunders mixed with lack of experienced depth, ok, move-on) and AL (what a great game all around / essentially lost on a A+ defensive play against a freshman tackle, move-on ok) -- these games give me much confidence / I'm not even focusing on the down years -- it's forward thinking from now on !!

PJ may or may not respond to you, but I will. I've been listening to/watching UT football since 1969/70ish. Even through the years I was over seas, I would have tapes of every game sent to me (a lot of times already knowing the outcome before I got it) and watched them. The sorry assed reasoning of "you must not have paid attention to the last 10 yrs" is just as weak as the battered fan syndrome itself.

Through 45+ years of following UT football, I have never had that kind of mentality. I would dare say, most people who have followed UT football for any length of time....not just the last 10 years, probably feel like me, and no, we don't understand this mentality.

If your team is playing my team. I'm talking trash. If your team beats my team....I'm still talking trash. Why? Because I don't like your damn team. If my team wins, the level of obnoxiousness will be ten fold.

Of course this is JMO. :)
:salute:

IMO UT has a lot of UT fans that have become fragile. The way I look at it we should embrace the off season hype and enjoy the trash talk. We have been in the seller dweller for the last decade. It's about time we are talked about and feared. Team 120 has depth, talent and experience to play with anyone. And more importantly the battle scars. Drink that big orange Kool-Aid and regain the swag like team 120. Vols are gonna lay the wood this fall so get your popcorn ready! GBO!

You are exactly right. King Kong has swagger, which we have lacked in that Florida game since the early 90s. It is easy to see from nearly every game against them. Their players walk onto the field believing, play loose and win. We have played not to lose.

I like these examples of swagger and belief. Because I have little doubt that we will roll Florida this fall. I think we have an even shot to beat Alabama. But, I also think we probably drop one to UGa or aTm. Those are tough road games that better not be overlooked. Winnable, yes, but also lose able.

The 605 has to be his squat number. I don't think UT has ever had a 500 lb bench press, and definitely not 600+.

I'm pretty sure Darwin Walker set a new record when he was at Tennessee in the 1990's with a bench of around 530+lbs. I would think there has been a handful over the last 20 years or so. I would also think that Owen Williams doing 225 for 42 reps would put him up there above 500. The 1 rep max bench press calculators generally stop 225 at 20 reps because if you can do 20+ reps, you don't have much to prove.

Edit. Looked it up and found where he was noted as doing 550lb in 1999. I know that has been surpassed.

Last edited:
Trash talk is "FREE"...
Victory requires a "price"..."TALENT, HARD WORK, 100% DEDICATION (everyone focused on the end goal), PHYSICAL / MENTAL TOUGHNESS, SELF / TEAM CONFIDENCE, ABSOLUTE REFUSAL TO LOSE, ETC.

Tennessee has failed miserably in the "paying the price for victory" category for years. That has now been addressed and remedied. It's time the leaders "players" of team 120 "lead". The rest will take care of itself.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but, it sounds like your implying the Tennessee players have not provided enough "TALENT, HARD WORK, 100% DEDICATION (everyone focused on the end goal), PHYSICAL / MENTAL TOUGHNESS, SELF / TEAM CONFIDENCE, ABSOLUTE REFUSAL TO LOSE, ETC."???
I have seen players working out on their own time, vomit from exhaustion. Not from a coach pushing them; from them pushing themselves. Many times over the years Tennessee players were clearly the better athletes but, the coaches simply got out coached. Many times the play calls didn't fall in their favor (been a few years ago but, Jabbar Gaffney for example). Tell Al Wilson he didn't give it his all. Tell Peyton Manning. I wouldn't dare.

I like player confidence if they back up their talk. But it's way sweeter when you quietly walk up to someone, knock em the eff out and walk away.

I like player confidence if they back up their talk. But it's way sweeter when you quietly walk up to someone, knock em the eff out and walk away.

That sounds a lot like what the so-called "Knock-out" game is about when young thugs do that to un-suspecting by-standards? Hmm. I don't think that work in a game.

how you figure?

Bama's been recruiting #1 classes 6 years in a row or whatever.

can we not just leave it at "the gap between TN and the top tier teams in the league has/is vanishing".

we're not the most talented team everytime we play now. that's a ridiculous statement.

:blink:

If you do the stars and the experience of UA vs UT this year I think that we have more 4 and 5 stars HS recruits with more college experience than they do on the field. Remember UA replaced 11 offensive and defensive starters. I think we replaced 3 (North, Randolph, Pearson, maybe 1 more) We will have the same number of high school stars across the board and should have more starting in game reps than they will. This is truly the year we should have an edge lining up man against man vs them then we've had since almost the Shula days.

But I agree with you for a decade we have been at a talent deficit compared to them. This year though is different, all our skill position guys are 4-5stars... Malone 5, Preston 5, Hurd 5, Kamara 5, Drew Richmond 4/5, Dobbs 4, Robertson 4, Wolf 4. Nearly every starter that we have on offense is a 4 or 5 star.

Defensively Kahlil 5, Tuttle 5, TKJ 4, Martin top JUCO, Kirkland 4, Kongbo 5/ #1 Juco, Cam Sutton (not sure about HS rating but top 3 in SEC secondary hands down.) Barnett 4, Traylor 4,

I'm not going to look up the UA players cause personally I don't care about them. If you start to look at the stars out of HS that we will put on the field this year combined with last years experience on offense 8 either 4 or 5 stars and on defense 7 or so are either 4/5 or top 5 JUCO players that will more than likely start. Looking this UA is replacing Heisman running back, QB and other skill positions. Not saying that the guys they are going to put out there will be bad, but they haven't played that much and unless they have a 6-star rating that I don't know about will have the same stars that we are putting on the field with less game experience, so I give the edge to us this year from a talent perspective. How can you not?? Thoughts??

That sounds a lot like what the so-called "Knock-out" game is about when young thugs do that to un-suspecting by-standards? Hmm. I don't think that work in a game.

Oh no, I hate that kinda crap. I just mean when someone has been picking at you, the no talk just drop approach is my favorite.

Jacques McClendon had over 600

I looked it up, and several places reported it as 645 pounds. That is a beyond-insane number. I would guess that there have been All American linemen can't even squat that amount.

VN Store

Back