Kelly ready to shred SEC defenses

I commented when he was a freshman that this guy was going to be a very good player some day. The few times he came in he ran like he was on fire and popped up quick every play. He is a fierce competitor and it will show this year. GBO!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
It has seemed to me that TN has always had 2 good RB's to carry the load. That has kept a TN RB from really ever having that big year because the carries get split up. This year is Kelly's year he should get the lions share of the carries and have 1100-1300 yards (possibly leading the SEC).

It has seemed to me that TN has always had 2 good RB's to carry the load. That has kept a TN RB from really ever having that big year because the carries get split up. This year is Kelly's year he should get the lions share of the carries and have 1100-1300 yards (possibly leading the SEC).

If Guice stays healthy he's going to be tough to beat for SEC rushing leader. Nearly 1400y splitting time with Fournette and will now be the feature guy.

Having said that I LOVE how Kelly runs like the defense actually owes him yards.

I love JK's attitude and work ethic. He seriously wants to be the best and works his tail off for us. Plus the guy is very charismatic and positive. He's the type of guy you want to see succeed. JK and Kamara are the type of RBs our offense is built around. JK hits the hole hard and is able to hide behind the OL. I also like the fact that JK and the OL play hard for one another. It is awesome to see them both encouraging one another and feeding off each other's energy. When the players play for one another great things can happen. I'm just glad all the locker room drama is gone. I do believe we see other contributors like CFA and Chandler step up and get meaningful snaps this season too. I think we will see a step forward in the running game.

I liked this quote from the article:
"He'd definitely boldly declare he's the best tailback in the SEC. 'Damn right I am,' he said, grinning."

Hurd didn't shred SEC Defenses, SEC Defenses shredded him. Kelly is the complete opposite. Hard nosed runner with great quickness and seems ready to take on the leadership role.

Many things about John Kelly point to him being a good RB....but common sense might force a person to wait until he has made it through ONE complete SEC season and accumulate more than 200 carries as the workhorse before heaping all this pressure on him...

He's showed signs of brilliance against some weaker defenses in the league...

Everyone might just want to step away from all the hype...and take a deep breath for a moment...

:salute:

John Kelly will lead the SEC in rushing. Break the all-time school record for rushing yards in a season. And be a Heisman finalist.

That's how much faith I have in this kid and this team.

He's in for a special season.

Now watch how fast D4H throws him under the bus after his first fumble.

On a serious note, he and Jennings are my favorite players on this team. Both are straight ballers with an old school football mentality.

I think he gets to 1,000 yds pretty easily. He accelerates very quickly, runs hard every play, and will be the feature back this season. Not the most talented back we've had, but his effort and drive are undeniable. He literally runs like he won't be denied yards, I love it.

Also, I laugh every time he underhand slings the ball to the ref when he crosses the end zone.

Damn near the only known commodity on offense outside of Jennings. I think everyone here expects good things from him.

Many things about John Kelly point to him being a good RB....but common sense might force a person to wait until he has made it through ONE complete SEC season and accumulate more than 200 carries as the workhorse before heaping all this pressure on him...

He's showed signs of brilliance against some weaker defenses in the league...

Everyone might just want to step away from all the hype...and take a deep breath for a moment...

:salute:

I say embrace the hype, at least when it comes to John Kelly.

This young man pulls hype and high expectations to himself like a warm blanket. We're piling nothing on his shoulders that he hasn't already put there himself.

As for waiting to see? One of his two best games last year was against A&M. 101 all-purpose yards, 89 of them rushing yards on 13 carries (6.85 ypc), plus a catch for 12 yds.

A&M has a fairly typical, fairly average SEC defense. Certainly not one of the weakest on our 2016 schedule.

So...yeah.

Pile the hype on, I say. He's ready for it, and he's already earning it.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
If he can be a Cobb, Webb, Lewis, Henry, Stephenson, Hardesty type back, then yes.

If he is a Riggs, Houston, Greer, Howard type back, then no.

Remember, hype (Hurd) doesn't mean you are good!
I wasn't a huge Riggs fan either, until I saw Poole, Neal, Lane, and Hurd follow him...

John Kelly will lead the SEC in rushing. Break the all-time school record for rushing yards in a season. And be a Heisman finalist.

That's how much faith I have in this kid and this team.

He's in for a special season.

Please tell me you don't gamble based on the predictions you make here...

Kelly is a good running back, and like many I was impressed last season. But he's no Alvin Kamara. He won't be "shredding" SEC defenses this year. He'll have a good year behind an improved o-line. That's what we should anticipate. How many backs can shred SEC defenses? Maybe in 2018.

People try very hard to come up with off-season threads that excite the soul of VolNation, but you gotta hand it to D4H. He can get the populace fired up with one quick comment. Bless his little heart.

I literally think he is Lavar Ball, but as a Tennessee fan. Someone that knows the game but just likes to make outlandish predictions so when he is eventually right out of a thousand times, he'll look like a genius.

Kelly is a good running back, and like many I was impressed last season. But he's no Alvin Kamara. He won't be "shredding" SEC defenses this year. He'll have a good year behind an improved o-line. That's what we should anticipate. How many backs can shred SEC defenses? Maybe in 2018.

Kelly is a very good back and Chandler is better than him

A lot of you guys blew up the hype surrounding Hurd (though most won't admit it). I never saw that he was any where near an elite level back.

Though I haven't seen that from Kelly (yet) he is better than what we've had in a while.

Hurd didn't shred SEC Defenses, SEC Defenses shredded him. Kelly is the complete opposite. Hard nosed runner with great quickness and seems ready to take on the leadership role.

This is one of the dumbest comments I've ever read on here. Jalen Hurd was a MULE as a Tennessee RB. Sixth place on UT's all-time RB yards record list and he would have most certainly become UT's all-time leading rusher if he had stayed.

No need to disrespect what this kid did for Tennessee. A lot of us think leaving UT was a huge mistake for him. But it doesn't cancel out the way he ran, how hard he ran, and all the yards he ran for while at UT.

Reactions: 8 people
Kelly reminds me of a hybrid of Travis Stephens and Henry. Probably more Stephens than Henry. He keeps great pad level, but doesn't exactly run through people like Henry did. Henry was a freaking bowling ball. That last drive vs Arkansas in '98 was amazing, just running around, over and through their D.

This is one of the dumbest comments I've ever read on here. Jalen Hurd was a MULE as a Tennessee RB. Sixth place on UT's all-time RB yards record list and he would have most certainly become UT's all-time leading rusher if he had stayed.

No need to disrespect what this kid did for Tennessee. A lot of us think leaving UT was a huge mistake for him. But it doesn't cancel out the way he ran, how hard he ran, and all the yards he ran for while at UT.

While I agree with some of the sentiment here Hurd's BEST season was 4.7ypc. That wouldn't have made the top 25 in rushing in the SEC last season. 9 RB's were over 6ypc. His career totals are primarily a product of volume, not a high rate of production.

VN Store

Back