Kelly ready to shred SEC defenses

While I agree with some of the sentiment here Hurd's BEST season was 4.7ypc. That wouldn't have made the top 25 in rushing in the SEC last season. 9 RB's were over 6ypc. His career totals are primarily a product of volume, not a high rate of production.

Problem was Hurd was he lacked top end speed and couldn't find a hole to save his life. Sure he got all those extra tough yards but it's not like he just blew past most defenses. His "All about me" attitude topped it off.

While I agree with some of the sentiment here Hurd's BEST season was 4.7ypc. That wouldn't have made the top 25 in rushing in the SEC last season. 9 RB's were over 6ypc. His career totals are primarily a product of volume, not a high rate of production.

Brother, with all due respect, that is a completely irrelevant stat. Hurd would have broken Cheese's four-season record in three seasons had he stayed. That is the definition of a "high rate of production." And he did it while standing upright and right next to the QB at the snap most of the time. That kid got yards when there were no yards there many, many times.

I will take his "rate of production" all day long. And I hope Kelly beats it.

Reactions: 6 people
Brother, with all due respect, that is a completely irrelevant stat. Hurd would have broken Cheese's four-season record in three seasons had he stayed. That is the definition of a "high rate of production." And he did it while standing upright and right next to the QB at the snap most of the time. That kid got yards when there were no yards there many, many times.

I will take his "rate of production" all day long. And I hope Kelly beats it.

I see, so someone who amasses, say, 2000 yards on 2000 carries (1ypc) is being as productive (nevermind impressive) as someone who reaches 2000 yards in 333 carries. (6ypc) Obviously using an extreme but c'mon, calling such an observation "irrelevant" makes no sense whatsoever.

And here's another look at "career" yardage in general that puts that number into focus. I think it's pretty universally felt Barry Sanders is OK St's best RB ever. (some would argue best RB period) Guess who isn't even in their top 5 in career rushing?

Reactions: 1 person
I say embrace the hype, at least when it comes to John Kelly.

This young man pulls hype and high expectations to himself like a warm blanket. We're piling nothing on his shoulders that he hasn't already put there himself.

As for waiting to see? One of his two best games last year was against A&M. 101 all-purpose yards, 89 of them rushing yards on 13 carries (6.85 ypc), plus a catch for 12 yds.

A&M has a fairly typical, fairly average SEC defense. Certainly not one of the weakest on our 2016 schedule.

So...yeah.

Pile the hype on, I say. He's ready for it, and he's already earning it.

Go Vols!

I like the kid...I'm expecting him to do great things this year...he'll be running behind the best OL we've had under CBJ...

But the truth is that he's put up good numbers against aTm, SCe, Mizzou, KY, Vandy....the worst rushing defenses in the league last year---besides ours!

And Nebraska's defense was only marginally better...

Kelly hasn't run against Fla, UGa, or Bama yet...

...just saying....:salute:

I remember the preseason hype around Tauren Poole, too........

Last edited:
I recall A couple of years ago when no one knew much anything about Kelly. RB coach said in interview that it feels good to come out of a RB meeting with 3 future Sunday players. Well one in, one was too big for his britches, now we get to see Kelly?

A lot of you guys blew up the hype surrounding Hurd (though most won't admit it). I never saw that he was any where near an elite level back.

Though I haven't seen that from Kelly (yet) he is better than what we've had in a while.

I'll admit it. Still think he was until the personal crap.

John Kelly will lead the SEC in rushing. Break the all-time school record for rushing yards in a season. And be a Heisman finalist.

That's how much faith I have in this kid and this team.

He's in for a special season.

He's going to need help...a lot of help. Not to burst the bubble, but SEC defenses can and will focus on Kelly and JJ to take them away. They need at least one more back and several other WR's to step up. Being optimistic is great but being realistic has merit, too.

John Kelly will lead the SEC in rushing. Break the all-time school record for rushing yards in a season. And be a Heisman finalist.

Why do you do stupid **** like this? You set a player up to live up to these extremely lofty goals. You did the same **** with Dobbs. You built him up to be the next Newton or Dak and when he didnt live up to that, you trashed him. Its beyond dumb man.

Just say you think Kelly will be special. If he does all those things you said, then great. If he doesnt do any of those things, yet still has a good career, then thats great as well.

I honestly believe that Hurd would have been an elite RB if he didnt go all stupid and Butch would have schemed him the right way.

Agree. Thought that was what DeBord had drawn up last year. Offset I package to mix in with the regular attack. I truly believe Butch 86'd it at the last second. Torpedoed the relationship with Hurd and most likely DeBord also...JMO.

Agree. Thought that was what DeBord had drawn up last year. Offset I package to mix in with the regular attack. I truly believe Butch 86'd it at the last second. Torpedoed the relationship with Hurd and most likely DeBord also...JMO.

Yep. I mean instead of using him as a straight line, in between the tackles type of guy, Butch used him as east west type of runner. Which IMO, went against his strengths.

Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz:eek:lol:

Many things about John Kelly point to him being a good RB....but common sense might force a person to wait until he has made it through ONE complete SEC season and accumulate more than 200 carries as the workhorse before heaping all this pressure on him...

He's showed signs of brilliance against some weaker defenses in the league...

Everyone might just want to step away from all the hype...and take a deep breath for a moment...

:salute:

I've said the same on numerous occasions.

It's useless. Lots of folks setting up for disappointment and heaping unrealistic expectations on a young back with not much experience, or track record.

He may be great, he may be average.

We will see, but the hype train has left the station.

I've said the same on numerous occasions.

It's useless. Lots of folks setting up for disappointment and heaping unrealistic expectations on a young back with not much experience, or track record.

He may be great, he may be average.

We will see, but the hype train has left the station.

And if he lives up to it? Great. If not? We keep on cheering. "Hype" is excitable optimism. We stop and we might as well just stick to fantasy football.

And if he lives up to it? Great. If not? We keep on cheering. "Hype" is excitable optimism. We stop and we might as well just stick to fantasy football.

Thanks for the definition of hype. I had no idea.

If I want anybody to live up to the hype, it's JK.

He's as kikeabke as it gets, and easy to pull for. And I will be.

Just hoping the overzealous bunch here doesn't buy their own hype and pile on the guy if he's not the best in the SEC.

Thanks for the definition of hype. I had no idea.

If I want anybody to live up to the hype, it's JK.

He's as kikeabke as it gets, and easy to pull for. And I will be.

Just hoping the overzealous bunch here doesn't buy their own hype and pile on the guy if he's not the best in the SEC.

No...the "overzealous" pull for the kid. The "keeping it real" bunch blast him if he has a mediocre Orange & White game. You can look up definitions on the interwebs. :hi:

7TVWyo.gif

Last edited:
No...the "overzealous" pull for the kid. The "keeping it real" bunch blast him if he has a mediocre Orange & White game. You can look up definitions on the interwebs. :hi:
I would have thought a more "measured" approach would be less likely to be disparaging given a lower expectation and actually greater opportunity to be pleasantly surprised/excited if those expectations are exceeded.

Everyone's POV is different I suppose.

I would have thought a more "measured" approach would be less likely to be disparaging given a lower expectation and actually greater opportunity to be pleasantly surprised/excited if those expectations are exceeded.

Everyone's POV is different I suppose.

You'd be wrong. Posters that looked forward to Dillon Bates and thought K-Mac was going to be a superstar, are still pulling for them. When you wish for the best you're not at the forefront of the angry mob. At the end of the day, positive is positive.

Reactions: 2 people
You'd be wrong. Posters that looked forward to Dillon Bates and thought K-Mac was going to be a superstar, are still pulling for them. When you wish for the best you're not at the forefront of the angry mob. At the end of the day, positive is positive.

And we're back to the "POV is different". When I think (and I know others do too) "measured" with an unknown it's simply not assigning values there's no possible way to confirm. One can still very much be positive with this mindset. The difference is one doesn't have to get smacked in the face by disappointment by expectations that may never have been warranted in the first place.

Personally I really enjoy being pleasantly surprised and that's much easier when I don't get too far ahead of myself with expectations. :hi:

Pretty good take on it.

VN Store

Back