Kelly ready to shred SEC defenses

And we're back to the "POV is different". When I think (and I know others do too) "measured" with an unknown it's simply not assigning values there's no possible way to confirm. One can still very much be positive with this mindset. The difference is one doesn't have to get smacked in the face by disappointment by expectations that may never have been warranted in the first place.

Personally I really enjoy being pleasantly surprised and that's much easier when I don't get too far ahead of myself with expectations. :hi:

I'm from a fanbase that has handled disappointment and unmet expectations. Makes you tough. If a kid is less than great, you carry on. Great success with that approach.

I'm from a fanbase that has handled disappointment and unmet expectations. Makes you tough. If a kid is less than great, you carry on. Great success with that approach.

Then what is the point of starting out with wild expectations in the first place? (Also, and I know you are aware of this, lots of people don't "carry on" well at all when their high expectations aren't met)

Let me give you a quick example of what I'm on about. I don't think JK is going to be pushing the season record this year. Now that would sound negative until you understand my primary driver in saying that is I'm really hopeful that Chandler is the real deal and will be taking a fair chunk of carries from JK. Hell, for all we know Chandler may even take over the feature back position.

See how that's measured in regard to expectations for Kelly but still quite positive in the whole?

Then what is the point of starting out with wild expectations in the first place? (Also, and I know you are aware of this, lots of people don't "carry on" well at all when their high expectations aren't met)

Let me give you a quick example of what I'm on about. I don't think JK is going to be pushing the season record this year. Now that would sound negative until you understand my primary driver in saying that is I'm really hopeful that Chandler is the real deal and will be taking a fair chunk of carries from JK. Hell, for all we know Chandler may even take over the feature back position.

See how that's measured in regard to expectations for Kelly but still quite positive in the whole?

He sees it.

He just carved out his persona as "sh1t in your hat guy", no matter what you say.

Wasted energy, brother.

And if he lives up to it? Great. If not? We keep on cheering. "Hype" is excitable optimism. We stop and we might as well just stick to fantasy football.

True, but the problem is that unrealistic EXPECTATIONS from DESPERATE fanatics get piled on the back of the same mule...

We should STOP with all of the HYPE that is NOT based on objective factual information....this is reality...

However, subjective, irrational, desperate, and ignorant fanatics looking for a silver lining in everything....that is fantasy--and describes about 2/3 of Volnation...:salute:

Yeah, it's an APPROACH...never called THAT wrong. "To each their own" seems to be your message until we get to what's "better". SOME people don't "carry on" well when their expectations aren't met...LOTS (I'd even say the majority) do. I'd also differ in what's categorized as "wild expectations", I'd spect we have different thresholds on that scale. In any case NONE of our approaches matter. A player delivers or he doesn't. If you're a little more enthusiastic about the chances, who gives a crap? :)

Last edited:
True, but the problem is that unrealistic EXPECTATIONS from DESPERATE fanatics get piled on the back of the same mule...

We should STOP with all of the HYPE that is NOT based on objective factual information....this is reality...

However, subjective, irrational, desperate, and ignorant fanatics looking for a silver lining in everything....that is fantasy--and describes about 2/3 of Volnation...:salute:

Sounds like an opinion. :)

He sees it.

He just carved out his persona as "sh1t in your hat guy", no matter what you say.

Wasted energy, brother.

Speaking of wasted energy, you finished? :boredom:

Based on your prior predictions, I'm now praying to God that our passing game is the greatest in history, or we're in trouble 😬
I think 90% oif D4H posts are insane but he was consistent and correct about one player. Josh Dobbs.

While I agree with some of the sentiment here Hurd's BEST season was 4.7ypc. That wouldn't have made the top 25 in rushing in the SEC last season. 9 RB's were over 6ypc. His career totals are primarily a product of volume, not a high rate of production.

Behind what offensive line?

No...the "overzealous" pull for the kid. The "keeping it real" bunch blast him if he has a mediocre Orange & White game. You can look up definitions on the interwebs. :hi:

. In any case NONE of our approaches matter. A player delivers or he doesn't. If you're a little more enthusiastic about the chances, who gives a crap? :)

It's the boldened in the first quote that elicited my original response. I think there are LOTS of people that lean toward the pragmatic/measured/"keeping it real" POV that do not meet your example. (though not at all saying there aren't those that do) There's nothing "wrong" with being on the more enthusiastic side but let's not slide into casting derision at those who prefer not to hurl themselves headlong into fantastical daydreams of what "might" come to pass either.

Hell, we're all (well almost all) Vol fans here. Even the Vulcans among us are always hoping for the best.

im ready to see it.....saw glimpses last year, this year im ready to see that duck pulling trucks

I love Kelly. He is the kind of player that makes other players better. Give me three of him. I hope he has a great season but mostly hope he stays healthy. He has a different skill set than Kamara so don't expect he will look the same.
I think the real key is our oline. All our backs will get more yards and be more durable if the oline is better. A back being tackled by linebackers and safeties will be more durable and getting more yards than a back being tackled by the Dline. Come on Walt!

It's the boldened in the first quote that elicited my original response. I think there are LOTS of people that lean toward the pragmatic/measured/"keeping it real" POV that do not meet your example. (though not at all saying there aren't those that do) There's nothing "wrong" with being on the more enthusiastic side but let's not slide into casting derision at those who prefer not to hurl themselves headlong into fantastical daydreams of what "might" come to pass either.

Hell, we're all (well almost all) Vol fans here. Even the Vulcans among us are always hoping for the best.

I had an intended target. Can't help that you hurled yourself in front of the arrow. :hmm:

the-walking-dead.1.14.1834000-1458852055.gif

Last edited:
Behind what offensive line?

Regarding Hurd the one Kamara and Kelly were much more effective behind for starters. And without bothering with big names like Guice/Fournette/Harris/Scarbrough we still have such household names as Rico Dowdle, Damarea Crockett, Trayveon Williams, Stanley Williams, Benny Snell and Rawleight Williams III who added a full yard on Hurd's best season.

Just to clarify I'm not one of the "haters". There are some people that are (and have been, even before he quit the team) far more down on Hurd than I am. I have just never seen any measurable metric that would cause me to believe him to be "special" in any way. Big and strong with good speed for his size with genuine skill as a receiver? Absolutely. However he didn't make many people miss in space, was often shockingly easy to bring down for someone his size if moving laterally and seemed all but incapable of breaking the really big plays. I don't think he ever broke a 50 yarder. Has there EVER been an SEC back with almost 600 carries that didn't manage that feat?

It doesn't help we're discussing a back that apparently believes his best shot at the next level isn't even playing RB.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back