Kentucky coaching situation

Don't think Few is realistic.

Lamont Paris would be a huge gamble.

Would Ky fans welcome Pitino back after coaching at Louisville and then his uhh...15 seconds of fame?

Could Tommy Lloyd be an option?

Attachments

• 1--2--3-- youre out.jpg
    1--2--3-- youre out.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: rgvol
North Carolina and Duke hired in house dudes with no resume and it's worked so far. At least Pope has a resume I guess? I just hope he's surrounded with a good staff and plenty of nil help. The boosters had high expectations and this hire might piss them off.
Everyone is a gamble except for maybe 5 or so coaches. It’s not a bad hire, it’s just not an exciting one. I’ll certainly tune in to see Cal’s reception the first time Arkansas goes to UK.

As big as a program as Kentucky is, they are getting shot down from coaches at inferior programs such as Alabama, Baylor, etc

I hope this is a great example to Vols fans who want sooo badly to fire the best coach we hv ever had here in Tennessee history, Rick Barnes

It's an easy solution to fire a winning coach, its hard to find a legitimate replacement.

If I'm Kentucky, this is who I think you got to pursue right now:

1. Bruce Pearl
2. Mark Few
3. Lamont Paris
4. Will Wade
5. Rick Patino

If you whiff on all those guys, good luck

Might as well beg Calipari to come back
Oh lord Log into Facebook

Reactions: Scottkah55
OK "Yall" I was wrong !! First time for everything!! Have at it HOSS!! I'm not scared. And frankly my dear..............

UK has hired their coach, everyone is acting like they are onboard and creating excuses why this is a better hire than the BIG FISH they wanted. He seems to be a good fit, losing the first game in both of his previous NCAA tournament games. Give their fans a few days to anoint him program savior and they will be making hotel reservations for the next final 4.

Reactions: Jravol78
Most of the hardcore UK fans I know here in Kentucky have reached the coping stage of this grief process rather quickly. They've decided to "give him a chance" as if they had another choice, and have come to grips with the fact that the grass may not be greener. It's been an amazingly fast adjustment.
The majority that I have talked to are at that stage of grief too. They are pointing to UNC and Duke hiring former players, and ignoring Penny, Payne, Ewing, Juwan Howard, Mike Woodson, Chris Mullins, etc.

His contract is an average of $5.5 million a year and that puts him sixth in the nation.

Was Fulmer helping UK write that deal?

For UNC, the parallel would be Matt Doherty who had some limited success at Notre Dame and was the next guy down the list when Roy Williams turned them down. Mitigated disaster resulting in Dean Smith begging and landing Roy Williams the next go-round.

Yeah,this reminds me of Doherty. An alum who was hired when everyone else said no. He turned into a sacrificial lamb until Roy was able to come back home. This usually doesn't work out,but I could be wrong. Lack of success in the tournament when it comes to Pope. Hope Kentucky is ready for a team that lives and dies by the three.

Reactions: butchna
The majority that I have talked to are at that stage of grief too. They are pointing to UNC and Duke hiring former players, and ignoring Penny, Payne, Ewing, Juwan Howard, Mike Woodson, Chris Mullins, etc.

Not a single coach you listed has previous hc experience at the college level. Not saying that makes Pope better, but it makes me feel a tiny bit better.

Reactions: feathersax
I think Barnhart went with the “safe hire” whose got connections within the program.

He took a huge swing at Scott Drew & Hurley until they both said no.

It’s not a home run hire and I’m sure it caught a lot of UK fans off guard considering they were expected to hire a big name.

Tough few weeks for UK. Cal done r-u-n-n-o-f-t, they got shot down in flames by seemingly everybody they wanted to hire and then hired this guy. Oh and they had a lawsuit filed against UK, the two old swim coaches and AD Barnhardt today over sexual abuse by the coaches. Wonder if a the AD gonna be in trouble over this lawsuit and if that had any bearing on Cal leaving or not?

Reactions: rgvol
UK has hired their coach, everyone is acting like they are onboard and creating excuses why this is a better hire than the BIG FISH they wanted. He seems to be a good fit, losing the first game in both of his previous NCAA tournament games. Give their fans a few days to anoint him program savior and they will be making hotel reservations for the next final 4.
Savage

Reactions: Jravol78
Latest Rupps Rafter hilarity.

A poster told everyone to be calm and patient, that the first season was a learning year. Expectations should only be 23 wins in the regular season and 3 NCAA tournament wins for his first year.

VN Store

Back