Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

I expect DW has heard a plan, an idea of assistants, heard recommendations about how good a job they would do, thought about reputation and fit, etc. There is no such thing as a sure thing and a change brings hope that wouldn’t be here if a change hadn’t been made.

If Heupel was one year away from having coached at Harding University and only coached one season at UCF before being hired to be TN’s coach, would the football fans feel comfortable with that? That is what we are talking about here. There is a vast difference between even Heupel and Stephens resume. And a huge gulf between Kellie and Stephens resume prior to be hired.

People will be upset BUT this is a high ceiling hire. Check stats from Marshall last year. Offense will be on another level.
Having to scout for Dawn, Kim, Vic, etc isn’t the same. I need a coach who is accustomed to game-planning against elite talent/coaching.

I do agree though that if you’re a great Xs an Os coach, you’re a great Xs and Os coach. Just don’t want a coach that isn’t used to playing P5 talent.

Having to scout for Dawn, Kim, Vic, etc isn’t the same. I need a coach who is accustomed to game-planning against elite talent/coaching.

I do agree though that if you’re a great Xs an Os coach, you’re a good Xs and Os coach. Just don’t want a coach that isn’t used to playing P5 talent.
At least JR Payne beat Mulkey 😩 and ofc the PAC was tuff

She like the bottom line

Reactions: brittannica
FWIW Frese's buyout at Maryland is a little over 11 million, good luck to anyone wanting to pay that much to help get her out of Maryland :D
I remember when UT was playing Maryland in the regional final and I don't remember the year. ESPN (The I love Connecticut channel), went into the locker room before the game. Brenda was addressing her team. She was screaming at her team, "YOU WILL REMEMBER MY NAME." as far as the "Maryland" name. I just didn't care for her.

People will be upset BUT this is a high ceiling hire. Check stats from Marshall last year. Offense will be on another level.
Think she'd bring Aislynn Hayes with her from Marshall? She has a COVID year, and we haven't had a Hayes sister here in far too long!

In seriousness, you're right about the offense at Marshall. They were 5th in the NCAA in scoring and 2nd in possessions per 40 minutes. They were also 7th in the NCAA in offensive rebounds, which would fit right in at Tennessee. They were also 3rd in steals per game (and 3rd at forcing turnovers) - but alongside that, they were nearly last (357th/360) in fouls per game. It is certainly a particular way of playing.

I don’t have to prove myself or my sources. I’m just dropping information as I get it. I told yall Kara was never an option even when the dude on twitter with “clout” said she was. Then it comes out she was never interviewed just as I said.

I’m not saying that the Marshall Coach is a done deal, but I am saying that’s the loud buzz amongst coaches and former players.

I’m just relaying information as I get it via text.

Great news. She will do great here imo

As others have said, DW has a good track record. If it’s not a big name splash hire, so what? It just needs to be the right hire. Our former coach wasn’t and never was gonna cut it to our standards here. Love everything she has given to the university over the years but the reality is the reality.
if you seriously think the coach from marshall will be what we need you’re crazy. she has no experience recruiting top level players. what a sad hire if true.

That would be an unmitigated disaster. Hopefully she has people in her corner telling her to slow her roll. There's such a thing as too much too soon in any profession and that would be it.

I do actually care about Kentucky in this respect. I would like to know if we talked with Kenny Brooks at all before he was hired and wink nodded for him to slow his roll with big blue.

If we didn't, that indicates this decision was made the last two weeks and then I'm definitely concerned where this is going and if they have someone lined up. If we did talk to him then he either (1) wasn't interested in waiting/took the sure thing/Mitch Barnhart gave him a deadline or (2) he would rather be at UK than Tennessee. That's a brutal fact if its true.

You raise some good questions. If I were an AD and 80 percent sure that I'd be looking for a new coach at season's end, I would want to get a head start on sussing out coaches who might be interested. But doing so before season's end would seem problematic because you couldn't just tell agents that you're probably going to be in the market for a new coach, as word would get back to your current coach that s/he's going to be sacked--and that would be unprofessional and embarrassing. Further, even if you used an intermediary to sound out coaches about a potential opening at, say, a "major SEC program," you'd probably only get ambiguous answers in response, as many would probably not say definitively whether they'd be interested or not until they got more detailed information. So I'm not sure how much an AD can get accomplished prior to formerly announcing a change except for doing a lot of basic background research on various coaches.

Kentucky got a head start because it didn't make the NCAA tourney.

Reactions: Voluble2
I don’t have to prove myself or my sources. I’m just dropping information as I get it. I told yall Kara was never an option even when the dude on twitter with “clout” said she was. Then it comes out she was never interviewed just as I said.

I’m not saying that the Marshall Coach is a done deal, but I am saying that’s the loud buzz amongst coaches and former players.

I’m just relaying information as I get it via text.
I can see at why DW is high on her. Her record at Glanville and the quick turnaround at Marshall are very impressive. She only has one year of D-1 experience so that makes her a risky hire. If he makes the hire and she starts out bad it could get ugly fast.

VN Store

Back