Lee Greenwood 1986 Sugar Bowl

Some of you too young to remember 2001, World Series Game 4:

Brought tears to my eyes that night and again today when I rewatched. Thank you to all of our veterans.

Reactions: AllVols
Liberty Bowl, 1986. Lee Greenwood at halftime. UT vs Minnesota. And the song goes.....

"From the lakes of Minnesota
To the hills of Tennessee
Across the plains of Texas
From sea to shining sea"

I was there, it was great!
I was too....Took me 2 days to thaw out!
Much warmer in the Super Dome

I respect FrozeVol for having the courage to make a statement that he knew would be unpopular. I do not respect FrozeVol for not having the courage to defend his scatology.
I was there at the 86 Sugar Bowl on my Honeymoon. The place went nuts with "To the Hills of Tennessee". Chills.
I heard that song upon my return from Desert Storm in Mass. at the AFB. After 7 long months it was a wonderful welcome home. I was elated, yet broken hearted at the 2 friends left out of the welcome. They had given their all. Their wives and children were to hear the song in California when the units came in piecemeal. My heart went out to them as I wondered how they would make it. The Marines know the risks. The families only know the risks anecdotally until it lands in their lives. I miss those men. The song, though FrozeVol does not recognize the appropriateness of it, touches the hearts of those who heard it during trying, or happier times.

Sorry. My son is in the military, and I haven't seen him for more than a year.

I heard this song performed in Neyland in '85, at the Sugar Bowl in '86 , and at the Liberty Bowl in '86.

I have remained seated since the Sugar Bowl. It isn't the Star-Spangled Banner.

This thread should be on the political board.

In 1970 I raised my right hand & swore to defend the constitution of the United States of America with my life & that includes " Frozevols " right to like or dislike Lee Greenwood or his song, even if I do tear up a little bit every time I hear it !!! It's called freedom & that is what all those hero's died for !!! Freedom of expression through speech is one of our most cherished rights & NOBODY has the right to question the love another person has for our country or ask them to leave because of their opinion on a song or recording artist or anything for that matter !!! I would DIE for your right to oppose me & I would also die defending my right to speak as I damn well please !!! ONE COUNTRY, ONE PEOPLE !!! I sincerely hope everyone enjoyed their Memorial Day !!! Thanks to those who made the ultimate sacrifice !!!!

This was before my time and I'm not a native Tennesseean, what was the "Homecoming '86" all about? I tried to find some info online but I couldn't find much other than general descriptions. Was it treated with the fanfare like the bicentennial?
It was the Liberty Bowl building up the fact that Tennessee was in Memphis for their Bowl Game

Great song and show, and of course at the end we got a reminder of the smackdown that was to be the second half...The Rock played for them (a couple years later), but we whooped their candy asses!

This was before my time and I'm not a native Tennesseean, what was the "Homecoming '86" all about? I tried to find some info online but I couldn't find much other than general descriptions. Was it treated with the fanfare like the bicentennial?
It was a statewide tourism/historical thing where they encouraged a bunch of community events.

VN Store

Back