Lee Greenwood 1986 Sugar Bowl

They played this song the day we returned to our post in Germany June, 1991. Our familes were all gathered in the aircraft hanger , we marched in, in formation to see them and hear that song.
I remember the commander giving us our "Job well done" speech and then said "Company dismissed" Families running and screaming, hugging and crying and all the while that song was playing.
It brings back warm memories of friends reuniting with their loved ones and tears flowing. It makes my eyes itch to this day.

I respect FrozeVol for having the courage to make a statement that he knew would be unpopular. I do not respect FrozeVol for not having the courage to defend his scatology.
I was there at the 86 Sugar Bowl on my Honeymoon. The place went nuts with "To the Hills of Tennessee". Chills.
I heard that song upon my return from Desert Storm in Mass. at the AFB. After 7 long months it was a wonderful welcome home. I was elated, yet broken hearted at the 2 friends left out of the welcome. They had given their all. Their wives and children were to hear the song in California when the units came in piecemeal. My heart went out to them as I wondered how they would make it. The Marines know the risks. The families only know the risks anecdotally until it lands in their lives. I miss those men. The song, though FrozeVol does not recognize the appropriateness of it, touches the hearts of those who heard it during trying, or happier times.

A very dignified response to a very undignified post. I just wonder what kind of "vol" "froze" (I refuse to use vol in his name) can be?

That song is never appropriate. I’m sorry.

If your comment is actually how you feel then I suggest you take your sorry a$$ to another country. You're probably just another snowflakes that is too much of a coward to leave. Instead you like to cry, whine and complain like a spoiled brat that never makes a meaningful contribution to anything. You are a disgrace to those who have fought and died to make it the country we love.

Sorry. My son is in the military, and I haven't seen him for more than a year.

I heard this song performed in Neyland in '85, at the Sugar Bowl in '86 , and at the Liberty Bowl in '86.

I have remained seated since the Sugar Bowl. It isn't the Star-Spangled Banner.

This thread should be on the political board.

I fail to have seen anyone imply this song in any way is comparable to the Star Spangle Banner. If I have missed something, forgive me. To stand for a song does not imply that it is the banner of anything. However in the case of this song it does stand for pride and honor for our country and what it stands for. It is not and never will replace the most recognized anthem in the world. On the world stage, when our Anthem is played I nearly always stand in my living room or for that matter anywhere, anytime. Not so for the Greenwood song. But that is not to say that at times I am standing and near tears for this song. As for your son in the military, I have had two sons in the US Navy. I to went long periods of time not seeing them, but knew that when I saw or heard people honoring American by singing any song or standing for the singing of any song that evoked pride in country, I felt it was in honor of my and all sons and daughters serving.

Sorry. My son is in the military, and I haven't seen him for more than a year.

I heard this song performed in Neyland in '85, at the Sugar Bowl in '86 , and at the Liberty Bowl in '86.

I have remained seated since the Sugar Bowl. It isn't the Star-Spangled Banner.

This thread should be on the political board.

I fail to have seen anyone imply this song in any way is comparable to the Star Spangle Banner. If I have missed something, forgive me. To stand for a song does not imply that it is the banner of anything. However in the case of this song it does stand for pride and honor for our country and what it stands for. It is not and never will replace the most recognized anthem in the world. On the world stage, when our Anthem is played I nearly always stand in my living room or for that matter anywhere, anytime. Not so for the Greenwood song. But that is not to say that at times I am standing and near tears for this song. As for your son in the military, I have had two sons in the US Navy. I to went long periods of time not seeing them, but knew that when I saw or heard people honoring American by singing any song or standing for the singing of any song that evoked pride in country, I felt it was in honor of my and all sons and daughters serving.
It was the Liberty Bowl building up the fact that Tennessee was in Memphis for their Bowl Game

I think not. If you will look back it was a Tennessee History celebration.

Reactions: Tnphil
Liberty Bowl, 1986. Lee Greenwood at halftime. UT vs Minnesota. And the song goes.....

"From the lakes of Minnesota
To the hills of Tennessee
Across the plains of Texas
From sea to shining sea"

I was there, it was great!
I was in the band for both bowl games. Back to back bowls with Lee Greenwood singing with the Pride at halftime. You may not believe this, but the halftime show director wanted Lee to cut that verse out to shorten the run time a bit. I was right next to them and I thought Lee Greenwood was going to have a stroke. I am surprised the guy lived through the rant he faced.

Reactions: StarRaider
Good ole wiki had a list of all patriotic songs. I would put all these above Lee Greenwood. But that just me. haha

0–9
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
L
M
N
O
P
R
S
T
U
W
Y

This thread ... nuked by one little post ... 🤔😂😉
Yeah as a general rule I never reply to post that are so obviously meant to incite anger or negativity. They are so incredibly easy to spot. To me its the worst thing you can do. It gives some sort of legitimacy to it but when ignoring it will it dry up and wither. JMO. And there are a few posters here which their sole purpose is to do those things.

Yeah as a general rule I never reply to post that are so obviously meant to incite anger or negativity. They are so incredibly easy to spot. To me its the worst thing you can do. It gives some sort of legitimacy to it but when ignoring it will it dry up and wither. JMO. And there are a few posters here which their sole purpose is to do those things.

I will say my timing to debate about this song is bad. But like clockwork every year someone brings this song up and I get triggered. haha
Who in their right mind thinks this song is better than; "Born In The USA" by Bruce. Come on!

iguanalaser2.gif

I will say my timing to debate about this song is bad. But like clockwork every year someone brings this song up and I get triggered. haha
Who in their right mind thinks this song is better than; "Born In The USA" by Bruce. Come on!
Sorry but I think it is but that’s because my political views are not the same as Bruce. Plus a goat sings more musically than him.

[QUOTE="GreveHaller, post: 18294741, member: 32702"Plus a goat sings more musically than him.[/QUOTE]

I have no clue about his leanings, but that was hilarious. I kinda agree.

[QUOTE="GreveHaller, post: 18294741, member: 32702"Plus a goat sings more musically than him.

I have no clue about his leanings, but that was hilarious. I kinda agree.[/QUOTE]
Whenever I see him on TV singing his veins in his neck are popping out. I think his music is pretty good and all but he shouldn't give himself a coronary.

I like the way the song is now a rally song for the country even though the it originally was about the harmful effects of the Vietnam war. I couldn’t dream of a July 4th fireworks without hearing that chorus.
I just don’t think he sings with a musical quality. Too raspy for my taste. Bob Seger is the same. Both sing from the soul but not quality.

I was in the band for both bowl games. Back to back bowls with Lee Greenwood singing with the Pride at halftime. You may not believe this, but the halftime show director wanted Lee to cut that verse out to shorten the run time a bit. I was right next to them and I thought Lee Greenwood was going to have a stroke. I am surprised the guy lived through the rant he faced.
Wow, that's something!

I like the way the song is now a rally song for the country even though the it originally was about the harmful effects of the Vietnam war. I couldn’t dream of a July 4th fireworks without hearing that chorus.
I just don’t think he sings with a musical quality. Too raspy for my taste. Bob Seger is the same. Both sing from the soul but not quality.
....and now Bob Seger is under the bus. Freak, shut this thread down before Patti Page gets called out.

VN Store

Back