Les Miles thread (merged)

Tennessee is not going to be able to hire Nick Saben away..... Chip Kelly would be nice. But how would his lack of recruiting hold up?

Why not hire the guy that gave Alabama and Saben their best challenges outside of a Cam Newton Auburn?

Reactions: 3 people
Les Miles is a slightly better version of Butch.

Both are horrible at game & clock management and stubborn as hell.

Pass.

Les Miles is a slightly better version of Butch.

Both are horrible at game & clock management and stubborn as hell.

Pass.

No. he is worlds better than Butch. Butch couldn't win 12 games in a season. Les Miles is loved by his players and develops talent. He would be a disappointing hire...and an amazing upgrade.

Reactions: 5 people
I kind of like Les, enjoyed many of his teams. I just don't think he will adapt.

Sometimes the wakeup of being fired shows you a new look at yourself.

I'll take Les Miles and his near 80% win percentage in the weak east coming back with something to prove.

Just my opinion, could be a whole lot better bringing in someone else that has to "learn" how to win in this league

Reactions: 6 people
No. he is worlds better than Butch. Butch couldn't win 12 games in a season. Les Miles is loved by his players and develops talent. He would be a disappointing hire...and an amazing upgrade.

The only thing that kept Les Miles being the best coach in the whole NCAA was Nick Saban IMHO. If he coached anywhere other than the SEC west he would have been a legend.

He would be the football equivalent to the Rick Barnes hire. A good name but how much fire is left in him. 5-8 years ago would have been great. East Tennessee is beautiful but UT ain't no retirement home.

The only thing that kept Les Miles being the best coach in the whole NCAA was Nick Saban IMHO. If he coached anywhere other than the SEC west he would have been a legend.

Exactly. If Saban never came to Alabama, Miles would have ruled just like he is. Miles would easily be the best coach in the East.

Sometimes the wakeup of being fired shows you a new look at yourself.

I'll take Les Miles and his near 80% win percentage in the weak east coming back with something to prove.

Just my opinion, could be a whole lot better bringing in someone else that has to "learn" how to win in this league

Plus he already has recruiting relationships with some of the top HS Coaches in the top HS Football states in America. If you think CBJ was agood recruiter, wait until you see the classes CLM would start brining in

Reactions: 4 people
I don't want Les, but there's an argument for him. If we play smash mouth football on offense and great defense... we'd basically look like Florida, who has won the east the past two seasons. Difference between Miles and McElwain is Miles is passionate about recruiting.

I agree. But, how much longer does he want to coach and how competitive is he going to be? I liked the guy and his teams were fun to watch. What would he be like now?

Reactions: 1 person
Why bring in any coach that's already been fired from an SEC job? Waiting for the "What about Ron Zook" thread to pop up.

He would be the football equivalent to the Rick Barnes hire. A good name but how much fire is left in him. 5-8 years ago would have been great. East Tennessee is beautiful but UT ain't no retirement home.

No, but it would be a great place to spend the tail end of a great career while we continue to load the roster, win some SEC East titles at least and spend 5 to 10 years evaluating Coordinators at our leisure while grooming the best one for our coach for the next generation.

This: Plus, after being fired, Les may have something personal (ALA Mark Richt @ Miami) to prove like there IS something left in the tank... there is still some winning left in the old coach... etc.

Les Miles may not be the very best choice of of head coach candidates for UT that are apparently available at the moment, but consider this VFL guys and gals... would he not be an OUTSTANDING upgrade to what we currently have leading the sideline charade???

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Why bring in any coach that's already been fired from an SEC job? Waiting for the "What about Ron Zook" thread to pop up.

If you really cannot differnetiate between the ability level of Les miles and of Ron Zook, I do believe you might be following the wrong sport.

We fire a College HOF coach, and some of you guys want to bring in a guy that got fired for most of the reasons why we fired our HOF coach. People want to look at the record, but forget about how much he deteriorated in his last few years at LSU.

Sure.

LSU fired him because he refused to step away from his offensive philosophy. He tried to do everything his way when it continued to fail.

And no, there wasn’t an talent issue. It was coaching.

Sound familiar with Butch?

Serious question that's going to sound condescending...

What would be the difference between bringing in Miles and bringing back Fulmer?

Serious question that's going to sound condescending...

What would be the difference between bringing in Miles and bringing back Fulmer?

Moving the second best coach in the SEC for the last 10 years away from the best coach in the SEC's division.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd take Miles before Petrino. Petrino and Kiffin seem slimy to me and would hurt UT in the long run. I have no doubt the guys can coach but they have no morals at all.

I know their are flashy hires out there with better names that ESPN likes to promote for you. But if you look at actual performance that Les Miles actually had in the SEC west it seems like a no brainer to bring a extremely successful SEC coach to the East

VN Store

Back