Les Miles thread (merged)

Sure.

LSU fired him because he refused to step away from his offensive philosophy. He tried to do everything his way when it continued to fail.

And no, there wasn’t an talent issue. It was coaching.

Sound familiar with Butch?

The fact that you can't tell the difference between Miles and Butch may explain why you supported Butch as a good coach for 4.3 seasons.

Reactions: 4 people
Plus we could continue to enjoy clock mismanagement, under utilizing talent, and we wouldn't have to pay anyone to mow the grass in Neyland considering his voracious appetite for the stuff!!

No. Just no...

114-34 at LSU and aint nobody beating bammer in the SEC.

Reactions: 3 people
The biggest reason our previous three coaches turned into such busts was that they were unknown quantities. You were basically buying the mystery bag special and hoping it wasnt a dud. With Miles, you know what you are getting, a solid coach who recruits like Hades, leaves opposing players all over the field from smash mouth offense and defense, and has a proven record of 10 to 11 win seasons and major bowl games as the norm. If not for Nick Saban, he would probably have 4 to 5 Sec championships and a couple more NCs. Not too bad of a deal in my book

Last edited:
The fact that you can't tell the difference between Miles and Butch may explain why you supported Butch as a good coach for 4.3 seasons.

Still waiting for you to answer my question?

If you want Miles so bad, why not just bring back Fulmer?

Same difference.

Reactions: 2 people
I know their are flashy hires out there with better names that ESPN likes to promote for you. But if you look at actual performance that Les Miles actually had in the SEC west it seems like a no brainer to bring a extremely successful SEC coach to the East

I've been in the Gruden thread all weekend so my mind is spinning. I had listed Patterson, Kelly, and Miles were my top 3. I do think Gruden would be our Saban if he wants to coach here (anything is possible). As far as unemployed coaches right now, then Miles or Kelly would absolutely win big here.

If you really cannot differnetiate between the ability level of Les miles and of Ron Zook, I do believe you might be following the wrong sport.

If you can't tell the difference between one coach that can't develop players and is too stubborn to change his ways knowing to keep his job it's a must and the one we have now you need to follow another sport. I don't want either of them, neither of them have what it takes to go where we want to be today. I don't want any coach that has already shown they can't win the conference as it is now, not how it was a decade ago.

Same difference.

Miles can build a good staff in a much easier division. No one loves Fulmer than me, but Fulmer has been out of the game for too long. If this was 2013, I would consider him.

However, you have to deal in reality. Fulmer ain't coming back if offered the head coaching gig. Les Miles would accept on the spot. That is the big difference between the two.

Reactions: 1 person
Sure.

LSU fired him because he refused to step away from his offensive philosophy. He tried to do everything his way when it continued to fail.

And no, there wasn’t an talent issue. It was coaching.

Sound familiar with Butch?

I get what your saying, but Butch cant hold a candle to Miles...the guy won a NT and would have won a few if not for Bama taking them. Not my first choice, but he would be a definite upgrade.

Les Miles that's a joke right ? You're trolling us right ? You want to bring no offense to a place that already has no offense.

I get what your saying, but Butch cant hold a candle to Miles...the guy won a NT and would have won a few if not for Bama taking them. Not my first choice, but he would be a definite upgrade.

What's crazy is that if he doesn't play Bama again in the national title game, he likely gets and beats Oklahoma State for his second title in 2011 and is still coaching at LSU.

Everyone keeps treating the next hire like the backup QB when you’re starter is struggling. Everyone wants the next big thing even if it’s an unknown at best. Careful what you wish for.

Same difference.

Once again...Miles on his WORST Saturday was still a better coach than Fulmer. Miles as far as i can remember never lost to Vandy, Memphis or Wyoming. Miles was known for winning the games he was supposed to win and having trouble beating Saban. As every other coach in America seems to share characteristic number 2, i am not too worried viewing CLM as a major upgrade over EITHER Fulmer or Jones

Reactions: 2 people
Going from one hard headed Michgander to another isn't really what I am hoping to see out of the UT brain trust.

Well, whatever the case, this argument is probably purely speculative and academic as I really dont think this possibility is high on Currie's list of options at this point. But it is fun to speculate

Ok let's run down the list

Gruden: can someone tell me the date he coached his last team?

Kelly: Very good PAC 12 coach who admits he HATES to recruit

Petirno: has been a SEC coach before good game day coach everything else lacks at

Patterson: Would be a solid hire imo but how does he adapt to SEC football?? Nobody knows
The SEC is a different animal

Broum: Very little experience looks good early

Miles: proven winner, recruiter, and development of talent. NC coach

So what exactly is the best option? Who knows
Les Miles just fits in the most check boxes for me

Reactions: 3 people
Once again...Miles on his WORST Saturday was still a better coach than Fulmer. Miles as far as i can remember never lost to Vandy, Memphis or Wyoming. Miles was known for winning the games he was supposed to win and having trouble beating Saban. As every other coach in America seems to share characteristic number 2, i am not too worried viewing CLM as a major upgrade over EITHER Fulmer or Jones

Miles lost to UK.

Would be best fit at Tennessee.

1. Great recruiter
2. Had best teams in league behind Alabama for years in a dominating West division
3. Can get his missing piece with Tennessee's abilities to recruit quarterbacks.
4. Knows the SEC landscape and the relationships with high school coaches in the region
5. Would now have his team in the East division

6. We would get to see what John Kelly, ty chandler COULD actually do!!!

If were gonna hire an old coach with his better years behind him, I'd rather have Fulmer back.

VN Store

Back