Mashack next?

Uh.... because their NIL for basketball is leagues above ours, as is their financial investment into facilities and the almost certainly contract increases incoming for their staff and Hurley. Has nothing to do with football. Basketball is their sport.

Not to mention far more user-friendly NIL pages directly associated with the university:

While true, you still have to live in Connecticut though

Not since the season ended. That’s what the discussion was about.
Shifting goalposts and cognative dissonance. Now you're narrowing the metrics to a very very specific set of circumstances and recency bias to justify your moronic take instead of admitting you're either wrong or just simply don't like Barnes regardless of what he does and are relishing in every moment that might cast a shadowy light on his image.

So, according to you now, on March 31, 2024 there was a seismic shift in the universe and now Barnes magically fits into the mold you mentally constructed and players don't like him anymore. Got it.

You took the quote out of context. The discussion was based solely on losing our two best big men in one week. I said nothing about our success on the court.
The discussion wasn't about losing two big men. The discussion was about Mashack loving Barnes and believing he will stay.

And for some reason the idea of an athlete loving Rick Barnes makes you shudder.

CRB will win big in the Portal. Wait and see. Aidoo can only go down from here. He might get a bigger check somewhere else and that might make sense. He is not a ten year veteran in the NBA caliber player, yet. Add 25 pounds and another year under Barnes tutoring how to play physical and sky is the limit.

Tobe and Mashack can really move to an elite level program as they have special skills any top 5 program should desire, if they want to be a high paid 6th man. Who knows where we will be next year. Portal says it all. We need Bigs and we need scorers.

Anyone who can light it up from beyond the arch should be trying to get to Knoxville after Knecht’s showcase. The difference is Knecht was not just a 3 point shooter. He could drive the lane and get physical on a contested layup. Not many like him. He was special.

How do you know “he likes Barnes” and if he does is that enough to keep him? Obviously it wasn’t the case with Awaka and Aidoo. Barnes is NOT a player’s coach. He is hard nosed and has high expectations. He is old school and good at it. That is no longer a recipe for success.

Only quoting this so I can save it.

Filed under: Posts too dumb to respond to

No worries. Basketball rosters are one year deals now. Gotta shift your perspective and don’t get too attached to individual players.
Might as well go after 5 stars more so than program building players. We recruit well for our style. Seems like mid majors will be somewhat of a farm system for emerging players looking to transfer to a big boy

Irrelevant. You said, "Barnes is NOT a player's coach." Players love him. Just because he's a tough coach doesn't mean he's not a player's coach.
I mean I think the definition of players coach should be re-written and Barnes is like the prototype of that definition. Players coach is just shorthand for lax. Coaches like Banres who are going to make players the best they can be without going to the level of say, a Bobby Knight, are what the definition should be. I have heard Barnes described as tough but it's always for an obvious reason not for the sake of being an arsehole. It also shows obvious results, consistently. He does not seem to be unapproachable at all and as said many times most players that stick around tend to genuinely love him. Sadly I think in this day and age of Portal/NIL his job is 1000% harder I think Jordan Mcrea's take on it all sums it up.

The “system” isn’t the only factor keeping players. None of UConn’s players have hit the portal (yet) and certainly none that were likely going to get serious playing time. There’s a reason for these players leaving and i suspect our NIL $$ are similar to theirs. So if you’re saying it’s not the “system” then is it the coach?
Hurley recently stressed that they get all the resources they need to succeed. I've heard that our NIL resources are 'not optimally organized'.

UConn only has Mens's and Women's basketball.

When that is most if not all then it is easier to optimally organize the NIL resources, maybe.

UT is not the same as UConn.
I get what you mean but they got a lot of programs there, less than us for sure though, we did woop em in ball last yr

Unfortunately, it seems like we are going to have to get used to what Kentucky has had to deal with for years where the whole roster changes every year due to the transfer rules. I always wondered how they could pull for guys who were such mercenaries and came in and played a year and then left. It’s much easier to pull for guys you think are VFLs. I have a hard time remembering much about our one and done guys like Springer, Keon, Phillips, and Chandler. Are any of them getting significant time in the pros? It’s just a shame that all these agents and handlers are pulling all the strings, often giving terrible advice just for their piece of some “signing bonus”.
As I posted in another thread, fans are checking out. I lived in Lexington for 3 years and still have friends there. They are done with the roster turnover every year from the 1 and dones. I know I have very little fondness for the 1 and done freshman that have gone through here since Tobias Harris did it. I think I will care but then I just tend to forget them.

Reactions: BigBabyWilliams

VN Store

Back