Mashack next?

ETSU, I am just messing with you...but I could say, I have been speaking with my first cousin who is the team manager...he says that Mashack is waiting until tomorrow so he wouldn't be stealing Aidoo's thunder...and ZZ is announcing Monday for same reason. It is all due to Barnes announcing his retirement sometime early next week.
Understand this is blue font, but now its "thunder" when you announce you are leaving? What a bunch of egotist.

Reactions: Heartlandvol
UConn only has Mens's and Women's basketball.

When that is most if not all then it is easier to optimally organize the NIL resources, maybe.

UT is not the same as UConn.
At the same time when basketball is your main sport it puts your AD in a bad position because comparatively, the difference in money is incomparable. For an example, each year P5 schools all award about 2-4 'money' games to small schools. Those games alone make those teams athletic department more money than all other sports combined will make for the whole year. Now Uconn men's and women's basketball programs are likely more profitable than most programs but you can only sell so many tickets in a stadium that holds 16k. With each of those tickets comes some amount of parking and concessions and merch. Just logistically football is more profitable. Also, funny enough, expectations of money are very different in the sports. Football because it has more players has way lower average salaries and a lot less opportunities outside the NFL. For a college football player, it's pretty much NFL or bust. IF you're not playing in the NFL there is the CFL where the highest salary is like 1.9 mil (1.86 something something to be exact) Most players in not NFL leagues could make more money managing a McDonald's. For 2023-2024 there are 454 of 475 players making more than 1 mil. NFL Players average $3.26 million/yr. NBA Players average $8.32 million/yr. In men's basketball, they only have to play one year before going to the NBA football its 3.

I know all that seems like a lot but the short story is that because of this Basketball players are a lot more prone to move around if they are not happy. They have more opportunities elsewhere. They have a higher chance to be able to shine elsewhere also. Football is a lot more structured and players are a lot more dependent on their teammates and the system for success. I can be a great basketball player on a terrible team (Wemby) and put up historical numbers anyway. Put an all-time great on a terrible football team and they get lost in the sauce. For instance, you could have taken the best player at any offensive position and put them on Iowa's team last year and at best they would have taken that offense from historically bad to just ick. Put James Harden (or any top player) on the Pistons and he'd have averaged 30 points, Put Caleb Williams on Iowa and he's a 3rd rounder at best instead of the number 1 pick.

But your main point stands unassailed UT is not Uconn. They play in the Big East. We actually, historically, field competitive teams in every major sport not involving snow/ice. At its worst UT will be one of the top 10-15 revenue earners as an athletic department. In my lifetime I am proud to be a lifetime fan of a university that every year at least puts up something of hope somewhere. When our football team is struggling basketball is doing something if not the men the women and lately if both of those fail we have baseball or track. It's great to be Tennessee Vol.

I know all these 'defections' seem disheartening. But, I think its a rebuilding year and all hope is not lost. the transfer portal has lots of lovely things to bring and p[ast success will make us an attractive destination. I didn't think it would happen but Knecht did the thing and will likely be a lottery pick and likely top 10. If that goes down some major dominoes will drop. I refuse to go into panic mode before the draft because it determines our fate. Not just Knechts position but everything that happens there who gts drafted who does not will change the landscape of the portal in a major way. Cal to Arkansas and who Kentucky hires plays a huge factor in our fate. This is gonna be an exciting offseason.

Last edited:
You got marketing companies out here trying to make a buck helping players to maximize NIL. This is the world that was created. At this pace, only the fans can fix it if they start tuning out. For a lot of fans things will not change for them in fact they will increase their support, for many others interest will wane and they will find something else to do. I think we will be surprised at how unrecognizable the sport will be soon.

I'll put this out there. I think you could make more money in the long run by sticking around and endearing yourself to Volnation than if you leave. Loyalty matters and is valued around here.

We can rehash everything, but the NIL and transfer portal is absolutely destroying college sports. PERIOD
Under the table stuff has being going for years but this is crazy. When I played at Memphis State in 1972-1973, you saw the best players driving new cars but come on college sports has gone bonkers. Players need to sit out a year if they go to the portal.

Mashack really needs a bigger offensive role. Seems like he could be good driving to the basket and taking a few threes each game.
Been saying that. Don’t get me wrong JJJ was on fire in the tourney this year, but there were stretches where I think Mashack should have taken some of his minutes. If we get Dubar and Tyson I think a small ball line up with them on the perimeter and Mashack slashing with Estrella in the post could be pretty effective.

Just hope Barnes can get these transfers relatively quickly so the guys can at least start getting to know each other. Going to be a process getting the team to gel with such a big overhaul.

Reactions: Smokey 77
I'll put this out there. I think you could make more money in the long run by sticking around and endearing yourself to Volnation than if you leave. Loyalty matters and is valued around here.
Someone touched on that this week by pointing to some guys who get local radio/tv gigs, commercials, etc. However, passing on income that is right in front of you because you may be able to make more later, is hard to do at any age.

Reactions: spyfish007
Someone touched on that this week by pointing to some guys who get local radio/tv gigs, commercials, etc. However, passing on income that is right in front of you because you may be able to make more later, is hard to do at any age.
Bird in hand...present value v. future value...want pie.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
We can now officially say that Mashack was indeed not next to the portal
I'm calling it. Mashack is going to have a Josh Richardson-type breakout season! Remember Richardson took over the Alpha role after Jordan McRae graduated. Before that he had just been a complimentary player and a lock-down defender. Went on to have a great career in the NBA.

This season Mashak morphs from Robin into BatMan.

VN Store

Back