Miles or Jones

Combine Butch's recruiting and knowledge of a system with Les's cast iron battle tested cojones. Dr. Frankenstein where are you?

He's the Grumors guy. Don't know if I'd put much stock into what he says.

The Gruden episode has nothing to do with my beliefs on this. I have been a Butch supporter since his first season. He's done a bang up job recruiting, running a clean program, and keeping my University in a positive light. He's done a bang-up rebuild, and was the right guy at the right time. However, it is my opinion (if that's still allowed here) that he is not a great in-game coach. I certainly don't believe he is skilled enough to ever be viewed as an elite SEC coach.

I think he could excel in a lesser league, but don't believe he ever will here. I'm sorry if that offends you, but it's just an opinion. Thanks for the attempt to marginalize what I said.

Reactions: 3 people
You mean 8-3 Miles this year is worse than 7-4 Jones?? The same Miles that beat UF?

The thing is....

He's not 8-3 yet...can only do that by beating TAMU and winning the bowl game gets him to 9 wins.

Jones has the VOLS in position to have an equal or better SEC record this year as compared to miles over the past 3.

LSU beat UF after their QB was suspended...and had a hard time doing that. UF hasn't been the same on O since...come to think of it neither has LSU on both sides of the ball for that matter.

Reactions: 1 person
there's two things Les Miles has that Butch Jones doesn't:

1. Louisiana to recruit in
2. a personality

past that, you can't tell me that all the sudden we think Les Miles is this great game day coach? i've seem him buffoon it up on many occasions, including once against Fulmer, where he completely blew a clock management situation that allowed us to win the game. if you think butch has game management issues, let me introduce you to Les Miles.

Food for thought...LSU's much maligned Offense out ranks TN.

Not by much when you compare SEC games...even close w/in the same teams played which is probably more than a typical year would see. For whatever reason...SC is the primary outlier. I don't know how to make it show up legibly but the stats are attached to compare.

View attachment LSU _ UT 2015.xlsx

According to Paul Finebaum today, Les Miles definitely will be axed at season's end. Finebaum did not equivocate one iota. He always equivocates unless he is certain. He claims to have reliable insider info.

there's two things Les Miles has that Butch Jones doesn't:

1. Louisiana to recruit in
2. a personality

past that, you can't tell me that all the sudden we think Les Miles is this great game day coach? i've seem him buffoon it up on many occasions, including once against Fulmer, where he completely blew a clock management situation that allowed us to win the game. if you think butch has game management issues, let me introduce you to Les Miles.

All of a sudden? Not really.
He has had his fair share of issues but he's also won a ton of football games in the best division in college football.

As far as recruiting goes, you still have to prove you can coach and develop to keep all that talent from leaving. They have had many coaches that haven't been able to do that and that talent left the state.

Pre Saban, LSU was pretty bad to average several years in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Is he Saban? No. Saban is a major factor in why Miles is in the position he is in.
Is he better than most everyone else? He's record seems to point that way.

The thing is....

He's not 8-3 yet...can only do that by beating TAMU and winning the bowl game gets him to 9 wins.

Jones has the VOLS in position to have an equal or better SEC record this year as compared to miles over the past 3.

LSU beat UF after their QB was suspended...and had a hard time doing that. UF hasn't been the same on O since...come to think of it neither has LSU on both sides of the ball for that matter.

You're right I forgot their first game was cancelled and they never played. But had they played they would be 8-3. But you also have to look at LSU playing in the West. If we were in the West I'm not sure we are 4-3 or end up 5-3 in the conference. We are already 0-2 vs the West and Ark isn't even ranked.And we have lost like 10 or 11 straight against the west on top of that.

Year 1- Yes
Year 2- Yes
Year 3- Nah, I'll give Butch a chance to make the SEC Championship next year
Year 4- No SEC East- Yes again

You're right I forgot their first game was cancelled and they never played. But had they played they would be 8-3. But you also have to look at LSU playing in the West. If we were in the West I'm not sure we are 4-3 or end up 5-3 in the conference. We are already 0-2 vs the West and Ark isn't even ranked.And we have lost like 10 or 11 straight against the west on top of that.

the west may be better, but I'm not so sure they are light years ahead...plus, if you look at the teams we've played head to head this year that are the same as LSU the numbers are not that stark...cept for SC. They did be UF and we didn't but our VOLS did much better against ARk and UA than LSU did.

I may be mistaken on their records:

Butch Jones
Overall: 69–44
Bowls : 2–2

Les Miles
Overall: 137–53
Bowls: 7–6

But I'm still not 100% about the trade. Jones has the potential to be great considering his recruiting history but Les is really good and has proven his worth. Both have made questionable decisions but Les' history is more extensive.

Forced to make the call, I'm leaning yes.

Are we talking about the same Les Miles that had it not been for us having 13 men on the field would have lost to the idiot coach we had at the time?

That guy?

For the "But Butch" crowd. Jones lost with a Cincy team. Miles would have lost with an LSU team. Huge difference.

Besides.....would you really want that stupid little hand shake he does on our sideline?

If Jones left.. We should hire Miles in a SECOND..

Often agree with you but definitely not here.

He was 28-21 at Okie St. He walked into a program built by Saban that is one of the best recruiting situations in the SEC. Within 5 hours of Baton Rouge, you have a bunch of talented Louisiana homers.... and a good portion of East Texas. He would have far more competition for the out of state players he needs at UT and less in state talent... and even less when you factor in the distance to west TN.

Jones has proven worth as a recruiter and program builder. He's questionable after 3 seasons on game day against great competition.

Miles is a good recruiter and after all these years is still questionable on game day (not talking about the Mad Hater stuff either).

So does the recruiting situation at UT more closely match Ok St or LSU? I think the former. That's why Miles would fail at UT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
He was 28-21 at Okie St. He walked into a program built by Saban that is one of the best recruiting situations in the SEC. Within 5 hours of Baton Rouge, you have a bunch of talented Louisiana homers.... and a good portion of East Texas. He would have far more competition for the out of state players he needs at UT and less in state talent... and even less when you factor in the distance to west TN.

Jones has proven worth as a recruiter and program builder.

Re: program building, where was Oklahoma State when Miles got there? I don't think people saying "He wasn't that great at OK State" have done their homework, at all.

So does the recruiting situation at UT more closely match Ok St or LSU? I think the former. That's why Miles would fail at UT.

I disagree with this. Tennessee doesn't have the in-state talent LSU does, obviously, but Oklahoma State considers top-30 recruiting classes a success. Tennessee, even under Dooley for the most part, is much closer to LSU.

VN Store

Back