Miles or Jones

Your opinion. I disagree. Fulmer's 2008 class was shaping up to be special before he got axed - Tajh Boyd & Bryce Petty could've fixed a lot of the problems.

His biggest mistake was the Clawson hire. Really bad timing and fit.

Les hasn't recruited nationally so I guess we'll never know.

People think those QBs are better than they are. The heralded Class of 2007 was littered with busts, and the class of 2008 was the worst Tennessee has had in decades. He wasn't good at evaluating talent or landing it, and the team wasn't in shape.

Plus, again, Miles simply accomplished more. In less time. Trying to equivocate them by making excuses is pretty weak.

People think those QBs are better than they are. The heralded Class of 2007 was littered with busts, and the class of 2008 was the worst Tennessee has had in decades. He wasn't good at evaluating talent or landing it, and the team wasn't in shape.

Plus, again, Miles simply accomplished more. In less time. Trying to equivocate them by making excuses is pretty weak.

I get it. You hate Fulmer. Moving on.

I totally agree. It would have been something to see what Fulmer, Cutcliffe and Chavis would have done in their prime at Auburn, Georgia, LSU or an SEC school with a built-in mega recruiting base. They ranged far and wide to get talent and did exceptionally well - but Chief is correct - there is no comparison to the strong deep south recruiting bases to Tennessee. That is one reason the coach-envy fetish has many perils at Tennessee - few top level coaches will take on the challenge with the limited recruiting base. Vols are extremely lucky to have Butch Jones. Tennessee has to have an exceptional recruiter to compete which they had with Fulmer and now have with Jones.

Again, Tennessee has always recruited well. It takes someone truly awful like Dooley to take Tennessee out of the recruiting top ten, and even then not by much. It's always been weird to me how people are quick to downplay the greatness of the Tennessee program just to make a certain coach look better.

Reactions: 1 person
I mean, good Lord. Miles accomplished more in less time. If you're all about "facts" and still can't see that, it shows that you love Fulmer more than I "hate" him.

Again, Tennessee has always recruited well. It takes someone truly awful like Dooley to take Tennessee out of the recruiting top ten, and even then not by much. It's always been weird to me how people are quick to downplay the greatness of the Tennessee program just to make a certain coach look better.

Might want to review the years 1971-1984 & compare to 2002-2015.

It's just not an easy program to turn around when things go south.

It took Johnny 9 yrs to win the SEC.

I mean, good Lord. Miles accomplished more in less time. If you're all about "facts" and still can't see that, it shows that you love Fulmer more than I "hate" him.

Fulmer actually recruited the players on his championship teams.

u-mad-2.jpg

Lol how did that sound mad?

Miles has consistently recruited well, just like he's consistently been competitive in a tough division. As much as you try to take those away from him, you can't.

Lol how did that sound mad?

Miles has consistently recruited well, just like he's consistently been competitive in a tough division. As much as you try to take those away from him, you can't.

Miles gets all the credit for great recruiting in a program that is VERY easy to bring in tons of in-state elite talent. Very few Louisiana kids turn down LSU.

Fulmer gets zero credit (all Rodney Garner) for recruiting at a program that must recruit nationally to compete for the SEC East.

You seem jaded and bitter. Jmo

Miles has balls, but can't develop a QB to save his life. Yes yes, time will tell if Butch can develop a QB

I've heard there's an alum that played at TN that's interested in coaching QBs. I wonder if could develop a QB?

Miles gets all the credit for great recruiting in a program that is VERY easy to bring in tons of in-state elite talent. Very few Louisiana kids turn down LSU.

Fulmer gets zero credit (all Rodney Garner) for recruiting at a program that must recruit nationally to compete for the SEC East.

You seem jaded and bitter. Jmo

Lol. You're the one trying to say Miles gets zero credit and "didn't recruit anyone." If that's the "bitter" statement, you're more bitter than I am.

I don't see much of a difference between recruiting against incompetent coaches and recruiting with a geographical advantage against good ones. Players want to play for good coaches. If Miles were bad at recruiting, he wouldn't just stumble into elite talent by default; he'd lose it to Saban (especially given Saban's Louisiana ties) just like Ray Goff lost it to Fulmer.

100% no way!

And that is no disrespect to Les Miles, who has won a bunch of games and the ultimate prize. I like where Butch has us -- and more importantly, where I think he has us going.

Reactions: 5 people

Have to disagree with you. Only FSU and Miami put more players in the NFL than Fulmer while he was our coach. He was also 2-1 against those two programs as the head coach.

5-6 in 2005 and 5-7 in 2008 was the reason Fulmer was let go. Come on man. Will never forget the good times he brought us though.

So two losing seasons? That is your reason? That is a weak case, considering the good will and success that CPF brought the program.

So two losing seasons? That is your reason? That is a weak case, considering the good will and success that CPF brought the program.

Fulmer was 24-15 (61.5%) in his last 3 years...similar to the Bear at Bama from '68 - '70 (20-13-1 60.5%)...wish Bama had run him off in 1970 like some of their fans wanted...

Yes and I hate to say that but Jones can only hope to reach the coaching heights that the mad hatter has already reached . I hope we keep jones and he makes it to the top here but give credit to the hatter he is one of the better HC in the country. LSU may be making the same mistake we made . Before any of you jump on me I was not a big Fulmer fan and I wanted him gone at the time but that was a big mistake because we have stunk it up for awhile . They better have a great coach in the works and not bungle their way through it like we did with Kiffin and Dooley

CPF
Or Peyton when he's done playing if he ever changes his mind about not wanting to be head coach.

VN Store

Back