Need Some Prayers

Hopefully will leave the hospital tomorrow, the rehab for a while but at least I will be at home with the wife and kids. Can’t thank you all enough for the thoughts and prayers because they certainly helped.
Glad to hear

Reactions: Vol since 77
Wanted to add that I am only 47 and in what I thought was decent shape. There was an abundance of precaution by my doctor and cardiologist to get the stress test done which revealed some irregularities. They didnt think there was significant blockage, but they order a heart cath just to make sure. The heart cath showed 80, 80, and 70% blockage in the LAD and sent me right into prep for surgery. I only had slight chest pain and I only mentioned to my doctor because we were just talking about anything and everything. Just take precaution with your heart and dont ignore the signs. If I had not gotten this done when I did, I may not have been here much longer.

Wanted to add that I am only 47 and in what I thought was decent shape. There was an abundance of precaution by my doctor and cardiologist to get the stress test done which revealed some irregularities. They didnt think there was significant blockage, but they order a heart cath just to make sure. The heart cath showed 80, 80, and 70% blockage in the LAD and sent me right into prep for surgery. I only had slight chest pain and I only mentioned to my doctor because we were just talking about anything and everything. Just take precaution with your heart and dont ignore the signs. If I had not gotten this done when I did, I may not have been here much longer.
Can you describe what it feels like? I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. The pains you were having

Your story sounds familiar. My triple bypass was at age 73. Today I'm back to walking 3-4 miles daily & doing yardwork; I do STOP when feeling wobbly or dizzy. THank the Lord & the caregivers at Vanderbilt Hospital. (It's rare you'll hear me sing the praises of Vandy, but in this case: KUDOS). Appreciate your update & pray that your recovery continues, BearCat204. :cool:

Thanks for sharing your story. So glad you are on the road to recovery.

Your story sounds familiar. My triple bypass was at age 73. Today I'm back to walking 3-4 miles daily & doing yardwork; I do STOP when feeling wobbly or dizzy. THank the Lord & the caregivers at Vanderbilt Hospital. (It's rare you'll hear me sing the praises of Vandy, but in this case: KUDOS). Appreciate your update & pray that your recovery continues, BearCat204. :cool:
Thanks fellow zipper club member :)

I had similar experience when I was 46. I noticed in the Spring that I was having chest pain while mowing the lawn. Then a few weeks later, the same pain came at work. My family doctor immediately scheduled a stres test at a cardiologist’s office. The same pain came during the test but the echos were inconclusive. The cardiologist recommended a coronary angiogram where they found the blockage. They put a stent in and I have been fine since (22 years). I have lost 25 pounds since then and take statin and blood pressure medication. Like Bearcat says, if I had ignored the chest pain, the outcome could have been much worse.

Many people don’t realized that heart muscle, unlike other muscle tissue, can’t repair itself.

A heart attack (myocardial infarction or MI) occurs when some of your heart muscle is starved for oxygen for an extended period of time, because the heart blood vessels (coronary arteries) are partially or completely blocked.

If you have a full-on heart attack, as opposed to temporary chest pain from not enough oxygen, you lose that heart tissue forever, to be replaced by scar tissue instead.

The scar tissue can’t contract (squeeze) like healthy heart muscle, so your heart loses some or a lot of “oomph” in pushing blood with fresh oxygen through your whole body. If there’s enough heart muscle damage, you may be looking at congestive heart failure (CHF.)

Get yourself checked out if you’re experiencing ANY of these, especially more than one (from Heart attack-Heart attack - Symptoms & causes - Mayo Clinic):
  • Chest pain that may feel like pressure, tightness, pain, squeezing or aching
  • Pain or discomfort that spreads to the shoulder, arm, back, neck, jaw, teeth or sometimes the upper belly
  • Cold sweat
  • Fatigue
  • Heartburn or indigestion
  • Lightheadedness or sudden dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Shortness of breath
Women may have atypical symptoms such as brief or sharp pain felt in the neck, arm or back. Sometimes, the first symptom sign of a heart attack is sudden cardiac arrest.

Some heart attacks strike suddenly. But many people have warning signs and symptoms hours, days or weeks in advance. Chest pain or pressure (angina) that keeps happening and doesn't go away with rest may be an early warning sign. Angina is caused by a temporary decrease in blood flow to the heart.
There’s also often a feeling of anxiety. I get really twitchy when I see a man looking sort of worried, rubbing his (left) shoulder and neck, and looking kind of tired and grey and sweaty. It rarely looks like Redd Fox clutching his chest and shouting to Elizabeth.

My first husband called me at work one day to say that he was tired, chest was aching, out of breath, and sweaty, and should he go to the doctor. I asked: for how long? He said a day and a half. I told him to wait in the driveway, broke multiple laws getting from the VA Clinic on Cedar Bluff to South Knox County and then to UT Hospital. Said the magic words “chest pain”, back he went, got his EKG and labs, was diagnosed with a full-fledged heart attack, and on to the cath lab for angioplasty and stents.

He recovered, but he had to medically retire long before he had planned to and went on disability until old enough for Social Security, losing a career he loved.

Sorry for the uninvited lecture! But don’t screw around with this. Chest pains might well be heartburn (reflux) or muscle pain, but in case they’re early warnings, heed them.

Great to read the stories of those who caught things in time!

VN Store

Back