Next years class for Barnes.

Depends on how much weight and strength Estrella adds AND most importantly, if he has that physicality to his game. I haven't seen enough of him to know one way or the other, but there are times....like today...where we need to be able to play some bully ball with teams like MSU and SCjr. Can Estrella be a combo of Plavi and Aidoo? Hope so, but if we go into next year depending on Aidoo to be a physical presence down low, I suspect we'll be disappointed. Not that guys can't change and improve, but I think nearing the end of his 3rd year, he is what he is.
Aidoo is soft.

Depends on how much weight and strength Estrella adds AND most importantly, if he has that physicality to his game. I haven't seen enough of him to know one way or the other, but there are times....like today...where we need to be able to play some bully ball with teams like MSU and SCjr. Can Estrella be a combo of Plavi and Aidoo? Hope so, but if we go into next year depending on Aidoo to be a physical presence down low, I suspect we'll be disappointed. Not that guys can't change and improve, but I think nearing the end of his 3rd year, he is what he is.
I feel ok (not great, but ok) about our front court for next year. Aidoo/Awaka/Estrella/Phillips should be ok. They’re not terrible this year and they’ll have another year of development. I’m more worried about what we have at the 3 behind Mashak. Are we hoping Carr finds minutes there?

Reactions: Volfan1000
Assuming everyone stays which isn’t likely, I think we need a combo forward with perimeter skills and a PG. ZZ would start obviously but I kinda liked it when ZZ and Chandler played together a few years ago. We have enough wings on roster.

Boswell is a PG.
I hope so as that may solve a problem. I may be wrong but thought he was more of a combo and given our recent history (no true PG during Johnson/Springer year, no true PG when ZZ got hurt, Dilione not being able to fill that role even as a backup, Gainey not being an adequate backup), I hope we can find a true PG in portal. We may struggle “again” to score next year in my opinion, and I like two creators on the floor, if we can find one.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Aidoo is soft.
I've asked earlier this year what we might look like if JJJ and Vescovi not returned? While our record likely wouldn't be as good, I do think we might be better off heading into the NCAAT. Definitely better off heading into next season. I'd also mentioned previously that UT really, REALLY needs to get a physical post from the portal. If we go into next season depending on Aidoo and Awaka we're in trouble against a team with physicality in the paint. Estrella looks like a very promising prospect, but so far, he impresses me as a finesse guy like Aidoo but with more tools. A team is a reflection of their leadership. Yes, Knecht is a senior but a one year guy. He's not got the gravitas in the locker room like JJJ and Vescovi do. ZZ will be the defacto locker room leader next year. Maybe that changes how we look next season? For better or worse, this team will go as ZZ and JJJ go, and that's a recipe for going home much earlier than anyone hopes. Right now it's 3 vs 5 on a good day. Aidoo doesn't show and it's pretty much over against almost anyone. We just can't remain a 2 man team. Barnes blew it by not getting a lot more minutes for Carr, Dillione and Estrella all through the year. Now we might pay a price.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
Looks like it is back to the old.....

1713030138778.png
for coach Barnes, staff and Vol Nation. Kind of like starting with a clean....

1713030243572.png

Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back