On a scale of 1-10–how hard has your fandom been hit by how bad we’ve been the last 10 years?

I'm a 10 in that I want every UT team to win every contest they particiopate in.

If UT loses a game, does it affect my day, week? NO...but it used to!!!!!! Although, I will say when the BB team lost at the end of the season, it hurt a bit. I want to get back to that feeling for the Football team.

Will I watch the next week with hope? Absolutely!!!!!

Reactions: Behr
10 meaning you’re still as into the Vols as you were at the height of Fulmer.

1 meaning you’re apathetic, don’t even really watch anymore.

10. I don't quite on the Vols because they are down.

I'm also a 10 on frustration but we have the right people in place now. No more flapping gums. now its about winning football games.....

Right, we were merely undefeated national champs and nothing more. And it's not like anybody involved with that is around our program today.

11 !!!
Yeah no one grumbled about the Arkansas game, or beating Florida State without Weinke or after the game. I was young enough to imagine it. We’ve always had the “yeah but” detractors...always will. Good Ole Days Syndrome Vols strain has always had a quick recovery time. BEFORE message boards and social media allowed you the privilege of reading them.

10 all day every day. These lean years have worn me down though. I’m not very optimistic during the week sometimes, but come Saturday morning I’m ready to go.

I'm about a six. Still watch all and attend when I can. Numb to the losses anymore. Honestly kind of expect it. Sad. Went from eating popcorn watching UT beat down someone to eating fingernails hoping they could win at Vanderbilt.

I’ve never cried over a win or a loss.

I have lost sleep over wins and losses.

I have not gotten into a fight over the Vols.

That puts me at about a 10. Tennessee Football is a passion of mine. I enjoy the game of football. I’ve had so many good times coming and going to games that I can separate the road trip from the outcome of the game. Sometimes it’s a long ride back home while other times the conversation about the win make the drive not so bad.

Bring on 2019 season. I’m ready for some football. A Vol party.

10 - I listen to Swain almost every morning via podcast and am on Volnation pretty much every day. Living in Atlanta, the internet has increased how closely I can follow the Vols. That access was limited when we were really good.

Just remember this next game thread when we're losing to Alabama and people say "I'm just going to turn it off" midway through the game.

Those people are 1s. Then when we're competitive again, those people will be wearing their Tennessee hats telling us how they've always been diehard fans.

Ugh. There's seriously nothing worse in the sports world than when "fans" brag about how they're going to stop watching the game midway through because we're losing. And it happens every single game.

Call these people out on it. Make fun of them. Revoke their Vol cards.

10 meaning you’re still as into the Vols as you were at the height of Fulmer.

1 meaning you’re apathetic, don’t even really watch anymore.
Not minimizing lives lost in Pacific Theatre in WW2, but hope this quote applies to our down trodden program over last 10 years...Volnation just waiting to erupt.
th

Based on most of us visiting this site a ga-zillion times a day, during non-working hours of course, how could anyone be anything less than a 10. I can’t think of anything better to obsess and waste my time over? What else are you going to do this fall, start watching ”keeping up with the Kardashians”? As John Ward would say “no sir-ee, no sir-ee, no sir-ee”. Our kids go through all kinds of stages and ups and downs? Do we still love them the same? Again, in the words of John Ward - “of course we do!!!! Give them 10 (on a scale of 10). I think we all feel that the tide is about to turn (pun intended), we have bottomed out and are on the verge of “rising up” again.

5 - The whole Fulmer to Kiffin to Dooley to Jones thing just took something out of me, and I haven't found a way back yet. With Pruitt, it's if he doesn't achieve much, then he's fired and we start over yet again. But if he has us winning, then Alabama gets him when Saban retires. I'm just not very hopeful right now.

Just remember this next game thread when we're losing to Alabama and people say "I'm just going to turn it off" midway through the game.

Those people are 1s. Then when we're competitive again, those people will be wearing their Tennessee hats telling us how they've always been diehard fans.

Ugh. There's seriously nothing worse in the sports world than when "fans" brag about how they're going to stop watching the game midway through because we're losing. And it happens every single game.

Call these people out on it. Make fun of them. Revoke their Vol cards.

Some fans handle adversity as a fan different than others. Pitching a fit is typical people behavior these days.

Talking about turning a game off, I had Irish fans claiming if they were at home they would turn it off. This was in line at Halftime of The Miracle. What a turn of events.

I didn’t call YOU a millennial...just paired it with bellyaching. If you identified? I am saying that even when we were a 10 win team, it wasn’t roses. After Peyton graduated, the subsequent preseason theme was the opportunity that was missed. Back then I ventured that with Tee the rest of the team would step up and we most likely would be surprised with the win total. Every realist Vol fan I met pooh poohed the wild ridiculousness of my mind set. This board didn’t invent that mindset...merely perfected it. 😉

I remember my dad cussing back then when we were up over someone like USCjr by 10 points because according to him they should’ve been up by 3 touchdowns...

Reactions: butchna
I was a 10 during the Fulmer Era. Speaking honestly, I'd say I'm at a 6 now. I've been beat down pretty hard living in Alabama.

I remember my dad cussing back then when we were up over someone like USCjr by 10 points because according to him they should’ve been up by 3 touchdowns...
Weren’t even in the conference in the 70’s and 80’s. Georgia Tech was a regular on our schedule and their color scheme was uhhh...effeminate? At least according to my family and we should’ve been pushing those girls out of the stadium!

I'm a 10 in that I want every UT team to win every contest they particiopate in.

If UT loses a game, does it affect my day, week? NO...but it used to!!!!!! Although, I will say when the BB team lost at the end of the season, it hurt a bit. I want to get back to that feeling for the Football team.

Will I watch the next week with hope? Absolutely!!!!!

I can't agree with that, entirely.

Significant emotional divestiture because I realized how futile it was to get wound up or let down by a football game during this extended stretch of suck.

...And tbh, my relationship with sports has changed pretty significantly over the past 10 years because of it. More focused on hobbies that I actually have control over, hunting, fishing, cooking, etc.

I'd still go to Knoxville if we got good again. It's a family thing. My grandmother was there cheering on Cafego.

VN Store

Back