One analyst believes Tennessee’s quarterback battle has already been decided

Accuracy and decision making do transfer. I don't see how saying a kid who was 51% with 26ints and barely any starting experience, who in camp has been reported to be inaccurate and make bad decisions at times, has a long way to go is controversial. 🙃🙃🙃🙃
So why are you so adamant that JG not only can but has improved? Why different rules for JG and Shrout?

the only thing i will say....it would be better for TN if JG earsn and wins the job. that settles the qb issue for this year, and likely next with all the youth we'll have. and will buy time to develop Shrout, Maurer and anyone else we bring in during the next year or so.
I've been tilted in that direction but not because of next year... but due to watching KC play more. His ? are just as significant as JG's and his ceiling is lower.

Reactions: V_O_L_S
Maybe I'm just getting old but I remember when a freshman qb not being ready to play was not a big deal or failure on the part of coaching. I still don't think it is.
agreed. we see it happen more than we used to with freshmen all over the field, those that have instant impacts....and couple that with the fact that for the better part of the last decade, we've needed immediate contributions from an incoming class, i think we've forgotten that it's ok, and actually better, if we can get to the point we don't HAVE to start freshmen.

Reactions: sjt18
When introducing a new QB, I think Fulmer played a Fr more often than not. Shuler was inherited. Stewart then Manning started as Fr after UT lost Colquitt and Helton. Clausen started as a Fr. Ainge and Schaeffer split the job as Fr. IIRC, the only non-Fr to start a season under Fulmer and not be replaced... was Tee.

I've been tilted in that direction but not because of next year... but due to watching KC play more. His ? are just as significant as JG's and his ceiling is lower.
that's fine. but i think the coaches have to think a little bit down the road as well. i don't think anyone on that staff would look at losing your starting grad transfer QB and your back up RS JR to transfer as a great spot to be in going in to year two, with a RS fr and true freshman as your QB room.
lol...that would suck. but it is a scenario that could play out and all but assures that we'll go after another grad transfer for 2019 as well.

far better for JG to get it, do well and be here in 2019 and be that veteran QB you can build around. and not allowing for the possiblity he could go pro after 2019, he'd be here for 2020 as a RS Sr....

so yeah, i want JG to be that guy. but only if he's really earned it. if KC winds up beating him, play him if he gives us the best chance to win this year. then the coaches have to go do what they're paid a buncha money to do....go find the next one.

Reactions: V_O_L_S and sjt18
When introducing a new QB, I think Fulmer played a Fr more often than not. Shuler was inherited. Stewart then Manning started as Fr after UT lost Colquitt and Helton. Clausen started as a Fr. Ainge and Schaeffer split the job as Fr. IIRC, the only non-Fr to start a season under Fulmer and not be replaced... was Tee.
true. but the 94 situation was due to injury.

after 99, i would tell you we didn't do the greatest job of managing that position and put ourselves in positions to have to start freshmen thereafter, and maybe was one of the reasons Fulmer's decline started to ramp up. hard to make a living breaking in new qb's all the time. and don't say bama. please. lol.

Reactions: sjt18
So why are you so adamant that JG not only can but has improved? Why different rules for JG and Shrout?

No difference. Shrout can get better. It will take time. He just got here. He has a long ways to go. JG has been here. He has gotten better apparently.

Muarry " I don't think Pruitt can coach"
Pollack " I don't think Pruitt can coach"
Danielson "I said Tenn. Would turn it around"
Vern " Oh"

Reactions: Type Orange+
What I have seen of both QB's JG is the better passer and Chryst is the better runner. I was surprised at his running ability. Whomever wins hopefully can move this team up and down the field the goal is winning not just playing.

That remains to be seen. They say he looks good. He was accurate and took care of the ball last year though.

We will see if his issue with holding on to the ball and taking sacks too much is fixed. It was a combination of inexperience, coaching, line play, and wr separation. They have been stressing getting rid of the ball. I do expect improvement on JG's part. We will see if the other pieces step up too. I think the line and coaching will. IDK about the wrs yet.

Shrout will get better too imo. Its just going to be tough to live up to some fan expectations for him with the reported work he needs to do and the roster situation now and in the next few years.
And you don’t know what that situation will be.

If JG is the starter we are in for a very long season.
If JG is the starter then he beat out a guy who was brought in as a "game manager". That would suggest he's grown mentally and emotionally as a QB. It that's true then UT will have a passing game. The question has never been his arm.

Reactions: So.ProVOL

VN Store

Back