One analyst believes Tennessee’s quarterback battle has already been decided

I’m saying if JG doesn’t get it done then go with Shrout. Why go with KC? And you can’t start KC straight up or the fans and media will turn on you the minute he throws a pic or goes three and out. Go with the future if JG is a bust
For one we don't know if he is the future. We have at least one Elite Eleven qb coming in if not two.

Two the reports say he needs to get stronger and he is metally miles, and miles behind JG and Chryst. Even if he could be the future if he gets to much time when nowhere near ready it could ruin his whole career.

He isn't going to be ready to play this year most likely.

For one we don't know if he is the future. We have at least one Elite Eleven qb coming in if not two.

Two the reports say he needs to get stronger and he is metally miles, and miles behind JG and Chryst. Even if he could be the future if he gets to much time when nowhere near ready it could ruin his whole career.

Don’t let yourself get distracted. Shrout is a FUTURE threat to your sanity. Those high school stats will be just as handy and relevant to lean on in two years. 😜

Don’t let yourself get distracted. Shrout is a FUTURE threat to your sanity. Those high school stats will be just as handy and relevant to lean on in two years. 😜

I would love for Shrout to play like Peyton and win a ton of games. I wouldn't count on it. Accuracy and decision making needs to improve big time. The "experts" say he needs at least a year. By then our Elite Eleven QBs will be here. We will see. 🤷

I would love for Shrout to play like Peyton and win a ton of games. I wouldn't count on it. Accuracy and decision making needs to improve big time. The "experts" say he needs at least a year. By then our Elite Eleven QBs will be here. We will see. 🤷
Got at least a year before we need your math lessons. Tell “all the experts” to hold their water.

Reactions: Behr and jakez4ut
Got at least a year before we need your math lessons. Tell “all the experts” to hold their water.
Past data is the best indicator of future performance. The numbers aren't in his favor. Especially with one or two Elite Eleven QBs coming in who will be more highly touted and who will have better high school resumes next year.

Past data is the best indicator of future performance. The numbers aren't in his favor. Especially with one or two Elite Eleven QBs coming in who will be more highly touted and who will have better high school resumes next year.
World’s littered with the bodies of Elite 11 QB’s not even drafted while the Baker Mayfield’s and Josh Allens cash their guaranteed first round money. It’s high school man...those stats don’t transfer. 😉

I’m saying if JG doesn’t get it done then go with Shrout. Why go with KC? And you can’t start KC straight up or the fans and media will turn on you the minute he throws a pic or goes three and out. Go with the future if JG is a bust

I fully support giving Shrout some snaps against ETSU and UTEP. See what he brings to the table. If nothing else, it'll help determine if you need to take a second QB in this class.

Reactions: Type Orange+
You do understand that the competition faced by different players in different areas of the country varies greatly, right?

A "high school resume" may get them a scholarship. It won't win the job for them.

And honestly, some players just adapt better to the next level than others. You don't have to look further than ANY D1 roster to find examples of that.

Eh...high school numbers don't necessarily translate to college, especially with QBs. Justin Worley had insane numbers his HS senior season. Shrout's high school tape shows a guy with an absolute cannon of an arm who is still learning the fundamentals of the position (footwork, reading defenses, etc). He's raw but has tools you can't teach. Give him some playing time against ETSU and UTEP. See for sure what he brings to the table without losing the redshirt.

at best he's 3rd on the depth chart right now and is more than likely going to RS. let's not put the cart before the horse. plenty of time for development, and when we got this kid, it was basically with the understanding he needed to. sheesh.

but pretty telling of you to set the bar at Peyton Manning..........lol.

you are what you are, so why try? lol.

and we've already recruited over him.

somene get shrout some transfer papers stat.

lol.

Accuracy and decision making do transfer. I don't see how saying a kid who was 51% with 26ints and barely any starting experience, who in camp has been reported to be inaccurate and make bad decisions at times, has a long way to go is controversial. 🙃🙃🙃🙃

IF he isn’t ready ready to be able to play this year then that’sa coaching failure

Accuracy and decision making do transfer. I don't see how saying a kid who was 51% with 26ints and barely any starting experience, who in camp has been reported to be inaccurate and make bad decisions at times, has a long way to go is controversial. 🙃🙃🙃🙃
it's not.

it's the notion that that's just who he is and won't change. he's gonna be a RS this year.

if you're going to place the same burden of not being able to change or get better on Shrout, then we should see JG on his backside a lot this year too.

can't have it both ways.

Reactions: butchna
it's not.

it's the notion that that's just who he is and won't change. he's gonna be a RS this year.

if you're going to place the same burden of not being able to change or get better on Shrout, then we should see JG on his backside a lot this year too.

can't have it both ways.

Bro I was originally responding to someone who said throw him out this year. He is a long way from starting. You could ruin his confidencec playing him too early before he is ready. Not to mention make UT look bad.

He can develop and be great. The odds are not in his favor though. He has issues and competition to overcome.

There are some things a qb can get better on easily and some issues that are harder to fix. Accuracy and turnovers have been the toughest issues for qbs to fix traditionally. Those are the areas he needs work in. He can get better for sure. It will be a lot of work.

He will also be competing with other qbs who have just as much or more talent the next few years. They may not have the same issues.

It is not cut and dry that he will be the next star qb for UT or that he will even ever start like some have made a foregone conclusion. He has a tough road to make that happen. I think that is a very fair thing to say. Not saying he is terrible. He has an uphill battle though. Great arm but many obstacles to overcome.

but JG has solved all his problems and is gonna be fine.

just pointing out the double standard.

i don't knwo one way or the other, nor am i claming to.

Reactions: butchna
IF he isn’t ready ready to be able to play this year then that’sa coaching failure
How? A freshman qb that started one year of high school and who wasn't in Spring Camp isn't going to be ready to play SEC games 99% of the time. Good coaching for Shrout this year would be Helton working with him to get him ready to contribute next year.

but JG has solved all his problems and is gonna be fine.

just pointing out the double standard.

I don't know one way or the other, nor am i claming to.

That remains to be seen. They say he looks good. He was accurate and took care of the ball last year though.

We will see if his issue with holding on to the ball and taking sacks too much is fixed. It was a combination of inexperience, coaching, line play, and wr separation. They have been stressing getting rid of the ball. I do expect improvement on JG's part. We will see if the other pieces step up too. I think the line and coaching will. IDK about the wrs yet.

Shrout will get better too imo. Its just going to be tough to live up to some fan expectations for him with the reported work he needs to do and the roster situation now and in the next few years.

Reactions: Thall17
How? A freshman qb that started one year of high school and who wasn't in Spring Camp isn't going to be ready to play SEC games 99% of the time. Good coaching for Shrout this year would be Helton working with him to get him ready to contribute next year.
If he can’t go in at least UTEP the yes, it is a coaching problem.

i don't think the fan expectations are all that huge for shrout. he's a relatively unknown 3* kid from CA that we got last minute. he seems to have embraced the Knoxville community, and many fans have taken a liking to him.

what any of them think regarding his ability...who knows. i think most believe he has some skill and a good arm, and based on what the coaches have said about him during camp, it basically confirmed what we knew about him before....great arm, lots of other stuff to work on.

he's not a factor this year regardless, and is hardly worth mention at this point, unless to deflect attention elsehwere....

i'm assuming you've read some of my posts on this qb deal, so hopefully you've gleaned that i don't really have a favorite.

i just don't understand the partisan nature of this particular topic. never have, never will. especially when the two qb's vying for the job both have ?'s, and neither has a frame of reference with this staff. it's not like you have a ton of history to go on, and you can go point to this or that and say that's why he should start.

the only thing i will say....it would be better for TN if JG earsn and wins the job. that settles the qb issue for this year, and likely next with all the youth we'll have. and will buy time to develop Shrout, Maurer and anyone else we bring in during the next year or so.

Reactions: sjt18
Sorry but being part of the worst team in Tennessee football HISTORY...and literally not scoring for what, 4 games? 5 games? No points at all...I dont get that warm fuzzy feeling when I think about this guy starting as QB. There comes a point where you have to remove coaching as an issue and put the blame on the players. A good QB would have been able to overcome a lot of what happened last year (see Dobbs). Can he be a good QB? Not sure. He is from NJ so...but here is to hoping that a first time HC and his first staff he assembled can polish a turd.
“Polish a turd”?? Wow.

“Polish a turd”?? Wow.
My bad. Should I have used some sort of fairy godmother reference? Like turning a pumpkin into a carriage? Transforming a stationary tackling dummy into a slightly more mobile tackling dummy?

VN Store

Back