One analyst believes Tennessee’s quarterback battle has already been decided

Chris Low on Swain Event right now....paraphrasing

Yes, I agree, it’s always been JG’s job to lose and he’s done nothing to lose it. He gives Tennessee more options....Chryst was brought in for 2 reasons 1) to provide competition for JG 2) to provide a backup quarterback.....

Tifwiw

That is what I suspected in my attempt to mind read from my comfortable arm chair.
Chryst was brought in to be a competent backup and to push JG to improve. Competition hones the skills. And if JG were to fold and Chryst wins the job, then no harm, no foul. We still have an experienced starting QB.

Reactions: V_O_L_S

Yes, I agree, it’s always been JG’s job to lose and he’s done nothing to lose it. He gives Tennessee more options....Chryst was brought in for 2 reasons 1) to provide competition for JG 2) to provide a backup quarterback.....

Tifwiw
i like c low, but i gotta tell ya, i like reading his stuff vs. listening. man he sounds sooo boring on the radio. and his segments are soo long. lol.

as for his stance, i have no idea how connected he is, but it's not dissimilar from what several other media guys have said about it, and i'd venture to say that he may just be regurgitating what he and some of his fellow media members in Knoxville have just talked about over coffee. lol.

Have any of yall actually heard the Price interviews, or only going on what quotes are picked out? Those on here stating that he's saying what he says is fact probably have not listened to his interviews and only going off somebody picking his quotes out and typing those up. I've listened to multiple interviews of his on multiple media outlets and he's pretty consistent with saying that from what he's seen with his own eyes and talking to his sources inside the program is where he has come up with his opinion. He's also said in every interview that if he's wrong he'll be the first to come out and say he was wrong. Don't think he's trying to come across as trying to make anyone believe that what he says is the only way it can happen.

Reactions: butchna
Have any of yall actually heard the Price interviews, or only going on what quotes are picked out? Those on here stating that he's saying what he says is fact probably have not listened to his interviews and only going off somebody picking his quotes out and typing those up. I've listened to multiple interviews of his on multiple media outlets and he's pretty consistent with saying that from what he's seen with his own eyes and talking to his sources inside the program is where he has come up with his opinion. He's also said in every interview that if he's wrong he'll be the first to come out and say he was wrong. Don't think he's trying to come across as trying to make anyone believe that what he says is the only way it can happen.
i know, speaking for myself, i've listened to and read his comments, and have said when commenting on them that while he's extremely confident in his stance, it's still just his best educated guess based on what he's seen and heard regarding the qb competition.

as is the case with those that have been projecting KC winning the job.

no one has been given any info regarding any decisions that may have been made by the staff that i'm aware of.

Reactions: 10ac_Vol83
Do you take mechanics as hot garbage or overall QB as hot garbage? If JG is the guy its going to be a painfully long season.
I know you’re not a JG guy, but why this assumption? He flashed some good things to go with the bad last year. He was better than QD and McBride, that’s for sure.

Don’t think he can improve from his freshman to sophomore year? Most, nearly all players do, including quarterbacks. I recall a freshman QB back in 1994 who wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire who at least half the fans wanted to see benched in favor of Brannon Stewart....he certainly improved in year two. Not sure why a very physically talented Guarantano can’t improve as well, especially with the help of an actual QB coach for the first time.

I know you’re not a JG guy, but why this assumption? He flashed some good things to go with the bad last year. He was better than QD and McBride, that’s for sure.

Don’t think he can improve from his freshman to sophomore year? Most, nearly all players do, including quarterbacks. I recall a freshman QB back in 1994 who wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire who at least half the fans wanted to see benched in favor of Brannon Stewart....he certainly improved in year two. Not sure why a very physically talented Guarantano can’t improve as well, especially with the help of an actual QB coach for the first time.
Better than the other QB's last year? Yes. Can one improve year to year? Yes. But I don't think he is going to be able to improve that much in the past few months where its going to help the team that much. I hope I am wrong..But physically talented..not sure about that. He has lead for legs. Does he have "arm talent"? Some people think so and his completion % tends to lean towards yes on that. But his mental game is way, way off. Cant throw TD's, can't lead scoring drives, but can take sacks and throw int's 50% of the time..

Better than the other QB's last year? Yes. Can one improve year to year? Yes. But I don't think he is going to be able to improve that much in the past few months where its going to help the team that much. I hope I am wrong..But physically talented..not sure about that. He has lead for legs. Does he have "arm talent"? Some people think so and his completion % tends to lean towards yes on that. But his mental game is way, way off. Cant throw TD's, can't lead scoring drives, but can take sacks and throw int's 50% of the time..
You do understand that this will be a completely different offense than the one he was running last season, and that he won’t be throwing behind a patchwork offensive line. It’s harsh to judge a qb that was hit almost every time he dropped back to pass. I think the oline will improve drastically this year, and with it so will Guarantano.

Reactions: TrueVolsGBOInsider
That is what I suspected in my attempt to mind read from my comfortable arm chair.
Chryst was brought in to be a competent backup and to push JG to improve. Competition hones the skills. And if JG were to fold and Chryst wins the job, then no harm, no foul. We still have an experienced starting QB.
AN experienced QB that more than half the fan base thinks is not up to our standards. At this point, if JG isn’t able to improve, just throw Shrout out there. You are going to have to show this fan base JG can’t get it done or CJP will be roasted by the fans. And before anyone says who cares, remember this is a fan base that got a coaching contract nullified.

I don’t see any way KC starts ever here outside of injury. If he does it’s because we exhausted every chance for JG to get it done and are most likely 2-6

AN experienced QB that more than half the fan base thinks is not up to our standards. At this point, if JG isn’t able to improve, just throw Shrout out there. You are going to have to show this fan base JG can’t get it done or CJP will be roasted by the fans. And before anyone says who cares, remember this is a fan base that got a coaching contract nullified.

I don’t see any way KC starts ever here outside of injury. If he does it’s because we exhausted every chance for JG to get it done and are most likely 2-6

Why would you just throw Shrout out there? All the reports say he has a long way to go. Good arm but way behind in the mental aspects and passing accuracy. The guy who was 51% with 26ints last year is not the answer anytime soon.

2 ints for the year means throws ints 50% of the time? What type of math is that? lmao

Not "some people." Everyone who has seen him play thinks he has tremendous arm talent. He lead plenty of scoring drives for a freshman in his situation. Even in games like the Sc game he drove the field and bad play calling cost us in the redzone.

Reactions: tatervol

Throws interceptions 50% of the time? He had 4 TDs to just 2 INTs.

Wait... did I read that right? Price doesn't think the battle is close despite what Pruitt says? I'm pretty sure that what Pruitt says is the QB battle.
What does he and the rest of that group know about football. Not one of them played a down..............Price does cover the HS girls well....

Reactions: Type Orange+
That’s some serious hyperbole you got going there. Nobody did much of anything right last year. They were all at a distinct disadvantage with that staff in a very toxic environment, JG included.

As for what you say JG didn’t do last year...

Led 3 scoring drives vs SCar (would’ve been 4 had Brandon caught his perfectly thrown pass for the game winning TD), 5 vs Kentucky, 2 in a half of play vs Southern Miss, 2 vs LSU and 4 vs Vandy......that’s 16 scoring drives total. Not nearly enough, obviously, but quite a few more than none.

Threw 4 TD passes, not none.

Took the same average number of sacks per game as Wil McBride, about 4 per game.

Threw 2 interceptions last year in 139 attempts....that ain’t 50% of the time, it’s .0144% of the time.

Look, the kid struggled last year, primarily because he held the ball too damn long in an attempt to make plays. He obviously wasn’t good at making his reads quickly and getting rid of the ball so he wouldnt take bad sacks....that’s the biggest thing he’s gotta clean up, cause the last staff, who had Utah State’s former running backs coach masquerading as an SEC qb coach wasn’t worth a damn at coaching that out of him...I’d bet Helton and Pruitt will do a much better job helping him with that. And please keep in mind that he was throwing to a WR corps that at one point didn’t have any guys running a route on a freaking flea flicker.....so perhaps that poor passing game performance wasn’t squarely in him??

Why would you just throw Shrout out there? All the reports say he has a long way to go. Good arm but way behind in the mental aspects and passing accuracy. The guy who was 51% with 26ints last year is not the answer anytime soon.

2 ints for the year means throws ints 50% of the time? What type of math is that? lmao

Not "some people." Everyone who has seen him play thinks he has tremendous arm talent. He lead plenty of scoring drives for a freshman in his situation. Even in games like the Sc game he drove the field and bad play calling cost us in the redzone.
I’m saying if JG doesn’t get it done then go with Shrout. Why go with KC? And you can’t start KC straight up or the fans and media will turn on you the minute he throws a pic or goes three and out. Go with the future if JG is a bust

Where's sjt18? Is he still at Larry's house?

Tifwiw

Reactions: butchna
What does he and the rest of that group know about football. Not one of them played a down..............Price does cover the HS girls well....
Oh yeah, none of the guys who cover the University of Tennessee’s football program for a living know nothing about football...nothing I tell ya. And, quite honestly, that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not Austin has a reliable source within the athletic department who’s telling him who is very likely to be the starting QB. You wouldn’t need to know a pigskin from a pigs foot to understand what it meant if someone who would know told you “hey, it’s JG’s job and it’s not close”.

That’s some serious hyperbole you got going there. Nobody did much of anything right last year. They were all at a distinct disadvantage with that staff in a very toxic environment, JG included.

As for what you say JG didn’t do last year...

Led 3 scoring drives vs SCar (would’ve been 4 had Brandon caught his perfectly thrown pass for the game winning TD), 5 vs Kentucky, 2 in a half of play vs Southern Miss, 2 vs LSU and 4 vs Vandy......that’s 16 scoring drives total. Not nearly enough, obviously, but quite a few more than none.

Threw 4 TD passes, not none.

Took the same average number of sacks per game as Wil McBride, about 4 per game.

Threw 2 interceptions last year in 139 attempts....that ain’t 50% of the time, it’s .0144% of the time.

Look, the kid struggled last year, primarily because he held the ball too damn long in an attempt to make plays. He obviously wasn’t good at making his reads quickly and getting rid of the ball so he wouldnt take bad sacks....that’s the biggest thing he’s gotta clean up, cause the last staff, who had Utah State’s former running backs coach masquerading as an SEC qb coach wasn’t worth a damn at coaching that out of him...I’d bet Helton and Pruitt will do a much better job helping him with that. And please keep in mind that he was throwing to a WR corps that at one point didn’t have any guys running a route on a freaking flea flicker.....so perhaps that poor passing game performance wasn’t squarely in him??

Sorry but being part of the worst team in Tennessee football HISTORY...and literally not scoring for what, 4 games? 5 games? No points at all...I dont get that warm fuzzy feeling when I think about this guy starting as QB. There comes a point where you have to remove coaching as an issue and put the blame on the players. A good QB would have been able to overcome a lot of what happened last year (see Dobbs). Can he be a good QB? Not sure. He is from NJ so...but here is to hoping that a first time HC and his first staff he assembled can polish a turd.

Reactions: robtom

VN Store

Back