Ones that got away

Vonn Bell. He was not in-state but went to Ridgeland High School in Rossville, Georgia, which is a couple miles south of the border with Tennessee and considered part of the Chattanooga metro area.

He was not even recruited by Dooley. After Dooley was fired, and Butch almost got him despite only getting to recruit him for the time between his own hiring and signing day.

Thinking about more instate guys, some of whom we lost in recruiting and some who were just rough diamonds or people we recruited over. I like thinking about this group more than the one's where we got jobbed or outbid by some out of state pimp.

Rupert Colemore, Jr. from Chattanooga was the most decorated player in Sewanee's SEC days.

I already mentioned Too Tall Jones from Jackson who became and All American at TSU. Mike Hegman of Memphis and Mike Jones of Chattanooga are a couple more Tigers who were good enough to start for the Vols.

Robert James from Murfreesboro played for Fisk and had a decent NFL career thereafter.

Gerald Sensabaugh from Kingsport went to ETSU and UNC.

Some Vandy players that could've helped the Vols include Dennis Harrison from Murfreesboro, Hunter Hillenmeyer from Nashville, Jim Peebles from Culleoka/Columbia, and Phil King from Dyersburg.

Mike Caldwell from Oak Ridge and Tyrone Calico from Millington by way of Cali were Blue Raiders who could've worn orange. Also, on the MTSU theme, if not for a fellow named Payton, we'd probably have had Kelly Holcomb from Fayetteville on our roster.

There have been so many that it's awful to think about.....here are just a few:
Alex Barrs, 4★ OT, to ND, Nashville
Dillion Mitchel, 4★, WR to OR, Memphis
Tyrel Dotson, 4★, ILB to TAMU, Spring Hill
Jackson Harris, 4★, TE, to GA, Columbia
Rico McGraw, 4★, CB, to GA, Nashville
Bryce Matthews, 4★, OT, to Ole Miss, Brentwood
Emmitt Gooden, 4★, DE, to MS St.... (we might get him yet out of JuCo), Brownsville
Taquarius Tisdale, +3★, Ath/LB, Ole Miss, Lexington

We have missed all these, and more, since 2014, meaning they'd all be contributing now for us. I've missed a number of good ones no doubt.

Well Rico McGraw did contributed for us today by taking off his helmet and getting called for unsportsmanlike conduct setting up good field position for the miracle Hail Mary.

VN Store

Back