Ones that got away

Gene Hickerson (had to go way back in this one, but he's in the NFL HOF)

Corey Moore (had a great carrier at VT)

Dalton Santos
Jesse Scoggins

Santos was not instate. From Van, Texas. Originally committed to Vols but went to the other UT when they decided that they had room for him and offered.

and Scroggins was from Lakewood Cali. Went to USC, then Arizona, then a Lindenwood College (NAIA maybe).

Hope you are better at reading biopsies than you appear to be at following thread titles......:crazy:

Daniel Boone

He went on to play in the first Alamo Bowl :)

Is this real life??🤔 I can't even respond to this....😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Spurrier was definitely recruited by tennessee, and he may have come here if we weren't still running the wing t (from his autobiography "it's always too soon to quit" :pilot:

Marlon Brown 5 star to UGA
Patrick Turner 5 star to So Cal

:thud:

Boy did we ever gnash a lot of teeth over almost nothing there. :no:

Spurrier was highly recruited here, but chose a school that fit his game. We unfortunately changed the next season iirc. Had he came, we may be comparing SS to Manning as greatest all time Vol QB. LOL!

The biggies Cobb and Willis. Cobb appeared down the board also and when Fulmer and staff came on strong, he was locked in. Smart move on his part really, b/c he was UKs "C Patterson" immediately. He was given everything to do on offense and performed. May have had to share for a while here.

Willis ... I can't even bring myself to think @ it. Let him walk for a 100* 5* bust instead.:dunno:

Every time I see Fulmer anymore, I see the guy who said no to Willis, and roll my eyes when people go on about how great he was. Yeah, we can blame Kiffin, but he was here less than a year. And we can blame Dooley, but he walked into a train wreck. But the tracks fell apart because of Fulmer getting lazy and arrogant. And some want him as AD? :sick: :yuck: :confused: :whatever: :disappointed:

Dumbest post in the history of the internet. Fulmer put over a hundred guys in the NFL...but ONE MISS tarnishes all that?

Reactions: 3 people
Maybe this isn't thread worthy but I heard an interesting conversation on sports radio about instate recruits that were never pursued by their home state school that went on to do great things at other programs and beyond.

So I was thinking about Tennessee kids that were never recruited or overlooked by the Vols that went on to good or great college careers elsewhere and 3 came to mind:

Spurrier
Chad Pennington
Randall Cobb

Am I missing anyone else?

Do just a little research? We pursued both Spurrier and Cobb they did not like how they would be used s they went elsewhere....

I think you'd find it's not that we did not recruit the top instate guys, they turned us down

Randall Cobb was pursued. Just too late and half effort

Patrick Willis a great one mentioned above. Do we include Terrell Owens? He was from Chatanooga right (or only played at UTC?)
He's actually from Alabama big man just played at UTC.

It's going back a while but how about Shannon Mitchell from Alcoa? Played TE at Georgia in the early 90's. Carl Stewart of Maryville who played FB at Auburn. We haven't had much luck in Blount County. Kinda weird. Also, Fernando Bryant of Murfreesboro Riverdale. He played DB at Alabama in the 90's.

Didn't see anyone mention Keenan Reynolds.

Not that he was a world beater coming out of high school but he has the FBS record for rushing yards by a QB and an NCAA record 88 TD's while at the Naval Academy.

Gene Hickerson (had to go way back in this one, but he's in the NFL HOF)

Corey Moore (had a great carrier at VT)

yup Corey always carried a chip on his shoulder towards us because we never recruited him. He grew up a Vol fan similar to Willis

Reactions: 2 people
Randall Cobb was pursued. Just too late and half effort

Patrick Willis a great one mentioned above. Do we include Terrell Owens? He was from Chatanooga right (or only played at UTC?)

He was from somewhere in Alabama, only played at UTC. The story is that he signed with UTC thinking it was UTK. :lolabove:

If Spurrier had come to TN then the legend of The Swamp Rat would have been much different. Dewey might have stayed at linebacker instead of being Spurrier's backup for a year or two.

BTW, Dewey is back on the radio for a hour on Wednesdays and Thursdays (3-4 PM). He told a story about the first time he entered the game as TN's QB. He forgot to bring his helmet.

1180 in Knoxville... it's on the Tune-In radio app for those outside of the terrestrial footprint. WVLZ I think, Google 1180 Knoxville if that doesn't work.

I reckon it's a matter of perspective. For every "one that got away", you may find we got one that we had no business getting. I'm speaking historically, not necessarily the Fulmer Era.

I wonder if Georgia fans ever wish they would have offered Dobbs. I mean I know they run a completely different offense but still.

yup Corey always carried a chip on his shoulder towards us because we never recruited him. He grew up a Vol fan similar to Willis

I heard that at an awards dinner that Fulmer apologized to CM that he didn't offer him. I don't know if it's true but it sounds like a classy move that Phil would do.

Came here to post the two brothers.

Played softball with Brent, could hit it a country mile!

I remember Todd was the USA Today defensive player of the year and UGA managed to lure him away. That one stung on signing day but he never really panned out at Georgia.

VN Store

Back