Ones that got away

Maybe this isn't thread worthy but I heard an interesting conversation on sports radio about instate recruits that were never pursued by their home state school that went on to do great things at other programs and beyond.

So I was thinking about Tennessee kids that were never recruited or overlooked by the Vols that went on to good or great college careers elsewhere and 3 came to mind:

Spurrier
Chad Pennington
Randall Cobb

Am I missing anyone else?

Spurrier was recruited but he didn't like what for.

;-(

TennesseeDuke

I remember there being some grade concerns with Corey Moore. Also, it's not like we were hurting for DE's back then either. Willis is much harder to understand.

I remember Todd was the USA Today defensive player of the year and UGA managed to lure him away. That one stung on signing day but he never really panned out at Georgia.

Your Wiki search should have told you that he stayed injured in Athens, actually transferred to "us" for a semester before landing at Carson-Newman and dominating. :hi:

Reactions: 1 person
He was one of the best athletes I've ever seen. How Jo Pa got him I have no idea

Played against him twice in HS. Won one lost one. I think Reggie Cobb (Knox Central) had already committed but I can't be sure of the timeline. PSU put a few tailbacks in the NFL.

I guess I missed the point of this thread. I understood this was about recruits we barely or completely didn't recruit who balled out at other schools. Seeing a lot of names that were HEAVILY recruited. :dunno:

Brentwood Academy's early days where everybody in the SEC came for players but UT, got a WR named Jimmy Hockaday out of there. Seems like Auburn picked up a player or two from Carlton Flatt's early days at BA. Tickled we finally closed ranks with BA and The Hill, it has paid UT huge dividends over the years finally putting that pipe in place.

read the whole thread, and can't beleive no one has mentioned Albert Means?:blink:

I guess I missed the point of this thread. I understood this was about recruits we barely or completely didn't recruit who balled out at other schools. Seeing a lot of names that were HEAVILY recruited. :dunno:

I think it's about people from the state of TN who we missed out on regardless of if we recruited them or how hard we recruited them. That was my take anyway.

I think it's about people from the state of TN who we missed out on regardless of if we recruited them or how hard we recruited them. That was my take anyway.

Yeah I missed on the in-state aspect but not the other...from the OP:

So I was thinking about Tennessee kids that were never recruited or overlooked by the Vols that went on to good or great college careers elsewhere

And made Alabama fans out of everybody in Marshall County.

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Bammer fan in a Wal Mart down that way anyhow, but the majority are still all Vol. And there's a Missagain contingent too. Medley is from Lewisburg.

Right. We recruited most of the guys ya'll are talking about, took a swing and missed. Patrick Willis and Jackson Harris the exceptions. Both of the Collins brothers were heavily recruited by UT and Todd wore the orange for a little while. Dooley may have bumbled a few, but all the ones that went to Bama, I assure you the Vols were recruiting.

I remember Todd was the USA Today defensive player of the year and UGA managed to lure him away. That one stung on signing day but he never really panned out at Georgia.

Georgia lured him away because his brother, Brent, was on the Georgia squad having signed after the 1986 season. Todd was really torn on staying in Tennessee or joining Brent in Georgia. On signing day he signed with Georgia saying "blood is thicker than water". Then Dooley retired after the 1988 season and Brent left for Carson-Newman. Todd transferred to Tennessee and was having a great spring but blew out his knee. He then also, transferred to C-N where he became an NAIA all-american LB. He was drafted by the Patriots where he played for Bill Parcells and started in the Super Bowl against the Packers. He also later was a starting linebacker for the Rams when they beat the Titans in the Super Bowl. If things had turned out different I have no doubt he would have been an all-sec player at Tennessee.

VN Store

Back