Perine vs Barnett (merged)

Clemson had a pretty good Defense and he still racked up 134 yards on 23 carries.

That's more one to look at than him slaughtering Kansas and Texas Tech.

I missed that one, but my point still stands.

1143 of his rushing yards came against defenses ranked 74th or higher overall. Remove the WVU game and 901 of his yards come in 4 games against teams with a defense in the 90s for points against overall or even worse. Pit him against better defenses and I'm saying his stats wouldn't look nearly as good at season's end.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I think we need to slow our roll just a bit regarding how good our DLine is gonna be. I'm as excited as everyone else regarding Tuttle and KMac, but expecting freshmen to step in and be outstanding/dominant isn't optimal. While we'll be elite on the edges with Barnett, Maggitt and JRM, we'll be relying on OBrien, Vickers, O Williams and the two freshmen up the middle while still not knowing who our inexperienced MLB is gonna be at this point. We're certainly talented in those spots, but there's little evidence, IMHO, to believe that we'll be dominant between the tackles which is what I believe you're suggesting.

I'm not that concerned. There are no DE's or hybrid edge rushers in the country than Barnett, Maggitt, Vereen, Weatherd, Kyle Phillips, Lewis, Taylor, Mixon, Butcher, and Johnson.

And our DT's are better than you're painting them out to be. O'Brien was actually solid last year as a Sophomore, and improved as the season went on. He had 15 tackles in the final 5 games, after having had 8 in the first 8 games. He also had 2.5 tackles for a loss in the last two SEC games, after having had 2 total all season prior to those games.
And Owen Williams is one of the strongest players in football, and showed flashes of being at least solid last season, particularly the Arkansas State game where he went beast mode, with 5 tackles and 2 sacks.

Kahlil should, at worst, look like a good/very good DT. At best, he could be one of the better DT's in the East this year. He has the strength, he has the training, and he has the burst. If we don't expect him to play 50 snaps per game, and rotate him well with the others, he should be able to play at a high level this year.

Tuttle looked fantastic in the spring, and looks at least as good as anticipated. I think that he can be a fantastic DT off the bench, and can use his excellent burst in 15-20 snaps per game and cause some real headaches.

But, most importantly, as phenomenal as our edge rushers are, our DTs are going to look much better. QBs will be forced to step up in the pocket, and will not be able to flea to the outside. There will not be many double teams, and any extra blockers brought in will be focused exclusively on keeping the best ends in the country off of their QB for a second or two.

If Kahlil and Shy play to their abilities, we could have a top 3 SEC DT crew, combined with the best edge rushers in the country. If they don't fully adapt in year one and are only good bench options, we should still have an above average DT crew, which would still leave us with a top 2-3 line overall.

Our D-line *is* stacked, no matter what concerns you may have. The only question is: will we be the best d-line in the country, or will a good, but not great, young DT rotation leave us as a top 10-15 DL in the country. Either way, Perine running over us (i.e., 150+ yards) *would* be a tremendous boost to his Heisman campaign, and would come as a bit of a surprise to me.

Reactions: 9 people
Well said, Turamber. The synergy of strong DTs makes our DEs even more dangerous. And the danger of our DEs makes our DTs even more commanding.

This line is going to shut down, I mean shut down, some opposing RBs who are getting a lot of media love right now. Sometimes 2+2 = 7, or 9, or 11. I think that's what we're gonna see this fall with the '4' part of our 4-3/4-2-5.

Clemson had a pretty good Defense and he still racked up 134 yards on 23 carries.

That's more one to look at than him slaughtering Kansas and Texas Tech.

I seem to recall the majority of that coming in scrap time. Clemson absolutely owned that entire team from the start. Game was over before halftime, much like you could make an argument about how Iowa faired against us by looking at the end stats. We let Iowa get some pretty good scrap yardage against back ups.

I think it's a travesty that some Vol fan would follow the guy on Twitter just to needle him.
Besides, that stuff has a nack for coming back on people later.....

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not that concerned. There are no DE's or hybrid edge rushers in the country than Barnett, Maggitt, Vereen, Weatherd, Kyle Phillips, Lewis, Taylor, Mixon, Butcher, and Johnson.

And our DT's are better than you're painting them out to be. O'Brien was actually solid last year as a Sophomore, and improved as the season went on. He had 15 tackles in the final 5 games, after having had 8 in the first 8 games. He also had 2.5 tackles for a loss in the last two SEC games, after having had 2 total all season prior to those games.
And Owen Williams is one of the strongest players in football, and showed flashes of being at least solid last season, particularly the Arkansas State game where he went beast mode, with 5 tackles and 2 sacks.

Kahlil should, at worst, look like a good/very good DT. At best, he could be one of the better DT's in the East this year. He has the strength, he has the training, and he has the burst. If we don't expect him to play 50 snaps per game, and rotate him well with the others, he should be able to play at a high level this year.

Tuttle looked fantastic in the spring, and looks at least as good as anticipated. I think that he can be a fantastic DT off the bench, and can use his excellent burst in 15-20 snaps per game and cause some real headaches.

But, most importantly, as phenomenal as our edge rushers are, our DTs are going to look much better. QBs will be forced to step up in the pocket, and will not be able to flea to the outside. There will not be many double teams, and any extra blockers brought in will be focused exclusively on keeping the best ends in the country off of their QB for a second or two.

If Kahlil and Shy play to their abilities, we could have a top 3 SEC DT crew, combined with the best edge rushers in the country. If they don't fully adapt in year one and are only good bench options, we should still have an above average DT crew, which would still leave us with a top 2-3 line overall.

Our D-line *is* stacked, no matter what concerns you may have. The only question is: will we be the best d-line in the country, or will a good, but not great, young DT rotation leave us as a top 10-15 DL in the country. Either way, Perine running over us (i.e., 150+ yards) *would* be a tremendous boost to his Heisman campaign, and would come as a bit of a surprise to me.

I was very measured and balanced in my post. The poster I responded to said our DL will be "stacked"....I don't think so. You just said that OBrien and Williams were "solid" last year....don't disagree, too much anyway. In 26 games they averaged 1.7 tackles per game between them....a tackle for loss about 1 every 6 games....and a sack about every 8.5 games or so. Not saying they weren't "solid", but they'll likely be our starters and that ain't exactly great or dominant, like the poster seemed to want to try to say they are.

We will also be heavily counting on Kendal Vickers, a converted DE who's recently added 60lbs and has never played a down at the position for Tennessee. I also mentioned Shy and KMac, who I'm very excited about....but as we all know they're freshmen....again, they're true freshmen. Finally, as I mentioned earlier,we still don't know who our MLB will be. And regardless of who it is, he'll have very little to absolutely no experience.

We agree that our edge rushers, our peripheral guys are elite and should help take some pressure off the interior guys. But at the end of the day, the interior guys are gonna have to at a minimum hold their respective ground and in fact create pressure with push and penetration vs some of the best OLs in the country. Unless somebody steps up this fall who can't reasonably be projected at this point, we're gonna have a rotation of 5 or so DTs, 2 of which were "solid" last year, 1 of which has never played a down at DT in the SEC and 2 who are true freshmen. By anybody's standard, that just can't equal "stacked".

People are way, way overblowing what Perine is capable of. He's a great RB, don't misunderstand me, but he wasn't exactly tearing apart elite defenses last year. His best 5 games last year:

Iowa State (118th overall in points against) - 110 yards, 17 attempts, 6.5 ypc
Okla. State (94th overall in points against) - 151 yards, 26 attempts, 5.8 ypc
Texas Tech (126th overall in points against) - 213 yards, 25 attempts, 8.5 ypc
West Virginia (74th overall in points against) - 242 yards, 34 attempts, 7.1 ypc
Kansas (106th overall in points against) - 427 yards, 34 attempts, 12.5 ypc

I'm not trying to downplay the significance of what he accomplished. Don't misunderstand me. However, his best game came against a team that was TERRIBLE last year. The highest ranked defense he torched wasn't even top 50, or even top 70. He benefitted from some of OU's weaker conference opponents greatly.

By comparison let's look at Chubb's best 5 games:

Auburn (63rd overall in points against) - 144 yards, 19 attempts, 7.6 ypc
Florida (20th overall in points against) - 156 yards, 21 attempts, 7.4 ypc
Kentucky (95th overall in points against) - 170 yards, 13 attempts, 13.1 ypc
Arkansas (10th overall in points against) - 202 yards, 30 attempts, 6.7 ypc
Louisville (24th overall in points against) - 266 yards, 33 attempts, 8.06 ypc

Maybe not some of the video game stats of Perine, but against FAR better defenses. If I were our fans, I'd be more concerned with Chubb.
Don't look at points against. B12 defense had to put up wiTh TCU and Baylor who btw put 42 points on Ole Miss in 3 quarters. You need to look at run defense.

not really this thread, but I'm most worried about Striker more than Perine. Looking at Striker's numbers in his other games last year, it looks like he had some really amazing games (like against us) or ones where he really either just didn't show up to play or was just neutralized by his opponent's scheme.

Anyone with enough free time to watch all of his game footage and see what other teams did to try to slow him down? Does having a mobile quarterback keep him more honest to his LB position, and keep him from creating so much havoc in the backfield?

not really this thread, but I'm most worried about Striker more than Perine. Looking at Striker's numbers in his other games last year, it looks like he had some really amazing games (like against us) or ones where he really either just didn't show up to play or was just neutralized by his opponent's scheme.

Anyone with enough free time to watch all of his game footage and see what other teams did to try to slow him down? Does having a mobile quarterback keep him more honest to his LB position, and keep him from creating so much havoc in the backfield?
Everyone either doubled teamed him or they threw quick passes (ala Baylor) Also mike stoops grew conservative and stopped rushing him

Just a very quick thought with regards to your your last question. Last year, Striker just pinned his ears back and ran faster forward, virtually untouched, than our poor OTs could backpedal, to the point at which Worley would plant his back foot to throw. Justin was a virtual statue, an unwilling runner and OU very quickly figured this out. I gotta believe that an elite mobile running qb and very willing runner like Dobbs, should very quickly make a speed rusher like Striker become much more honest and conservative after popping a few runs in the area Striker just vacated. So yes, Dobbs could, if not neutralize Striker altogether, could certainly slow his rush down considerably so that he's not the incredibly disrupting force this year that he was in 2014.

Reactions: 4 people
Samaje Perine's rushing Stats from the 2014 Tennessee game:
9 rushes
67 yards gained
0 yards lost
0 TDs
31 yards long
7.4 average.

I predict that Perine won't make it though the first half.They will be locked in on him and his 0-line won't be as good as last year.

my thoughts as well...he is a good RB but the monster games came against pretty week D's...that 400+ monster game was against Kansas for crying out loud.

This is true, but regardless of opponent he broke the ncaa record....in a pouring rain, and in a game he didn't start. The guy is a beast.

my thoughts as well...he is a good RB but the monster games came against pretty week D's...that 400+ monster game was against Kansas for crying out loud.

I don't know anything about the runner. Did he play against us last year? If so, how did he do? Our defense improved through the year and it should be better this year. His stats were very good, but I think we will be ready for him this year.

I don't know anything about the runner. Did he play against us last year? If so, how did he do? Our defense improved through the year and it should be better this year. His stats were very good, but I think we will be ready for him this year.

He played against us last year. Came off the bench behind Ford iirc. 67 yards on 9 carries. Kid's a hoss.

I would think they would try to hit us up the gut or put him out wide and pass it to him. Pretty sure Oklahoma is breaking in new tackles on both sides, could be wrong. I don't think he's as great as they try to build him up but he's def good.

They lost both OTs and 2 OGs (one starter) on the two-deep from what I can tell from this chart. So I don't see them being as dominant on the line as they were last year (offensively). Their D is mostly intact however. Oklahoma Sooners 2015 College Football Preview

VN Store

Back