Pig Howard suspended 1st game

How will Pig's absence in game one affect our performance against Oklahoma the next week? I'm deeply concerned that our rhythm and rhyme could be off big time. If I were Butch I'd just sit him out all year or move him to tight end.

How many TEs are we gonna have? I thought Hurd was already there anyway.

Yes and no. They are college aged, but also considered adults. Some are dying for their country. Some, myself included, were/are married with children at that age. That was my own choice.

However, signing a contract (scholarship) to play football at a major university is a responsibility and for lack of a better word, a job. That means you are expected to make adult choices and be held accountable. Pig is a senior and now a grown man. He should know better. In the real world, it probably would have cost him his job. The "kids will be kids" argument is why 26 year olds are still on their parents health insurance.

The only problem, pot is probably the #1 violation in the NFL. So grown men playing fb as a career, don't actually lose their job.

Reactions: 1 person
Is it really hard to go through life without smoking weed? It's amazing, million and millions of people can get through a day without it, but somehow being a starting WR at a major university with 9 days to go before your opener is not enough reason to stay clean?

Reactions: 11 people
Yes. But the other 99.8% of CFB players need to learn that the rest of the world isn't the NFL.

Well, I wasn't really debating you, just pointing out that it is common among players. But I will say this, if you really think that NFL coaches are the only "bosses" that let mj slide, that's way off also.

How will Pig's absence in game one affect our performance against Oklahoma the next week? I'm deeply concerned that our rhythm and rhyme could be off big time. If I were Butch I'd just sit him out all year or move him to tight end.

Thanks for the joy that you've given me. I want you to know that I believe in your song: the rhythm, the rhyme, and harmony. You've helped me along; you're making me strong.

They're 19-21 year olds expected to act like soldiers at boot camp when they're actually at college where people (and hot young women) are partying all around them AND they're the popular stars to these partying individuals. These guys are going to violate team rules, it's just going to happen. I like Butch's approach though, hopefully it minimizes it.

Of course, soldiers at boot camp are also 18-21 year olds with the same underdeveloped judgment and testosterone-driven urges as their college cohorts. It's why the only businesses that outnumber barbers, laundromats and pawn shops outside military bases are strip joints. Kids gonna be kids everywhere...but, just like in boot camp, kids gotta learn maturity and when not to be dumb.

Last edited:
Wasn't Pig off the team for a bit, then supposedly made some important changes/decisions and was reinstated? If that's the case, I certainly hope he hasn't slipped back into old ways. It's really sad these guys risk so much for stupid crap like MJ.

Reactions: 2 people
Hmm, months ago, you say...months ago, I think...*goes to revisit the Von Pearson Update thread, may it never die*....

Of course, soldiers at boot camp are also 18-21 year olds with the same underdeveloped judgment and testosterone-driven urges as their college cohorts. It's why the only businesses that outnumber barbers, laundromats and pawn shops outside military bases are strip joints. Kids gonna be kids everywhere...but, just like in boot camp, kids gotta learn maturity and when not to be dumb.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it's LIKE their at boot camp but with weekend passes or leave every single night in arguably the partyin-est atmosphere in the state of Tennessee. They're also the stars of this atmosphere to everyone partying. You will never, ever completely weed out college kids being college kids. I just hope none of our star players really do something stupid (looking at you Da'rick Rogers)

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it's LIKE their at boot camp but with weekend passes or leave every single night in arguably the partyin-est atmosphere in the state of Tennessee. They're also the stars of this atmosphere to everyone partying. You will never, ever completely weed out college kids being college kids. I just hope none of our star players really do something stupid (looking at you Da'rick Rogers)

Yeah, you're absolutely right, the distractions and temptations are (on a daily basis) far more intense for a college football star. Or any college kid, for that matter, compared to the guys locked into boot camp.

That's all the more reason for them to buy into and develop maturity, judgment as soon as they can, I'm thinking.

Reactions: 2 people
Is it really hard to go through life without smoking weed? It's amazing, million and millions of people can get through a day without it, but somehow being a starting WR at a major university with 9 days to go before your opener is not enough reason to stay clean?

This. If I want to be lazy, hungry, and paranoid I can do that without an illegal (in 48 states anyway) mind altering drug.

Oh come on guys. It's for one game and it's a weaker opponent no less.
Should Pig have done whatever? No
Is this common and will pass without much notice? (except for VN) Yes.

(1) You got a nickname like "Pig," you're gonna be trouble.
(2) It's a good game to be suspended for.
(3) Coaches getting the attention of the starters and upperclassmen: fellas, no one is above the law. Keep it tight! Pig just happens to be the starter/upperclassman who gave them the outlet (see (1), above).

Yup. I agree. Good coachable moment without much downside do to the opponent. No big deal.

Well, I wasn't really debating you, just pointing out that it is common among players. But I will say this, if you really think that NFL coaches are the only "bosses" that let mj slide, that's way off also.[/QUOTE

Sorry I wasn't arguing either and I agree with you. I don't care what a guy does on his own time and try to stay out of it. Sometimes policy comes into play and a guy gets bitten. In Pigs place, he should know there will be checks and cross checks. That's all I'm saying.

I completely agree with you, BUT in Pig's defense, if there is such a thing (assuming it was the ganja), alcohol is far more destructive to your strength and conditioning as well as mental/physical stamina for days following a binge. Reefer arguably could help some of our scrawny guys put on some much needed size if they could just work around the piss tests lol

Sorry I wasn't arguing either and I agree with you. I don't care what a guy does on his own time and try to stay out of it. Sometimes policy comes into play and a guy gets bitten. In Pigs place, he should know there will be checks and cross checks. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah, that's true.
I may not be offended by it like some but
I don't understand risking much over/for it either.
Seems silly but hopefully it passes with no further issues.

Pig is one of my favorites to watch.

Hmm, months ago, you say...months ago, I think...*goes to revisit the Von Pearson Update thread, may it never die*....

You may be on to something...

"According to the accuser, she met Pearson, senior wide receiver Alton “Pig” Howard and other football players at The Hill, a bar on Forest Avenue, around midnight April 24. The woman, who was a 19-year-old UT student, knew Pearson and Howard through mutual friends.

They left the bar in a single car at about 1 a.m. and went to University Walk Apartments on Forest Avenue, where Pearson, Howard and Mixon share an apartment. Mixon was not at The Hill, but was home when they arrived."

VN Store

Back