Please tell me Jones didn't say this...

:lolabove: It's getting more and more obvious which segment of the fanbase Butch is attempting to appeal to with this type of logic.
If you can't see that this team is much better than any we have seen in years, you are blind. The results aren't there, and that is what matters, but let's stop pretending there hasn't been progress. Maybe Butch isn't the guy, but the program is in much better shape than it was when he took over.

Reactions: 1 person
If you don't realize this program is light years ahead of when Dooley was in control, you are just being irrational.

Dooley is not the standard upon which we judge our football coaches. Whether or not Jones is better than Dooley (And, actually, based upon records, he's not.), is immaterial because Dooley quit and was so mind-numbingly terrible that we could, literally, hire a monkey from the Knoxville Zoo and still be better.

Reactions: 12 people
I don't think Jones will be at UT much longer but this is not an unreasonable statement. Concrete thinking doesn't help anything; it's not all or nuthin'. Enough progress is there to justify giving him this yr and next. Now, if the leopard can just change his spots. :)

Does anybody actually believe the program is worse off than when he got here? Has he not made improvements in nearly all aspects of the program? As long as we are moving in the right direct, however slow it is, I am on board. As soon as we start regressing I will change my tune!

"Sometimes you see results that maybe outside people don't see because you're gauged on wins"

If so, I'm about ready to lose my mind. Why win when you can just prattle on about some nonsense regarding "progress",then tell everyone they can't see it, but I can?

It doesnt matter what he or any other coach does. A lot on here will never be happy. I remember when we were winning 10-11 games a year and everyone was ready to fire someone over not winning them all...not on here of course because this free for all format didnt exist back when we were actually relevant..

Dooley is not the standard upon which we judge our football coaches. Whether or not Jones is better than Dooley (And, actually, based upon records, he's not.), is immaterial because Dooley quit and was so mind-numbingly terrible that we could, literally, hire a monkey from the Knoxville Zoo and still be better.
Okay allow me to rephrase..

Jones has the program in a better position than it has been in 7+ years. See.. That includes three other coaches for ya.

If you can't see that this team is much better than any we have seen in years, you are blind. The results aren't there, and that is what matters, but let's stop pretending there hasn't been progress. Maybe Butch isn't the guy, but the program is in much better shape than it was when he took over.

I do not disagree with this assessment at all. I've even stated I believe him to be a good caretaker. He's fixed the program, based upon its condition when he arrived. But he has a very low ceiling as an SEC head coach. We'll be lucky to ever see 9 wins....and statements like this one prove to me that is ok with him.

Reactions: 3 people
"Sometimes you see results that maybe outside people don't see because you're gauged on wins"

If so, I'm about ready to lose my mind. Why win when you can just prattle on about some nonsense regarding "progress",then tell everyone they can't see it, but I can?
You forgot the other quote...

Inky Johnson called me yesterday and reminded that everyone wants the prize but no one wants the process." - Jones

Reactions: 2 people
:lolabove: It's getting more and more obvious which segment of the fanbase Butch is attempting to appeal to with this type of logic.

Well, much like the end with Dooley, 30k of them can go to Neyland and watch us get the crap kicked out of us.

Dumbass fan base. Any intellectual football mind can see progress in this team since the day he has taken over

I agree that there has been progress. In your opinion when does progress have to equate to wins and not just improvement. Thats the progress he is ultimately being paid for correct?

Butch is causing a lot of his own suffering by continuing with his ill-timed, and ill-advised chronic diarrhea of the mouth. I'm beginning to sense he is a very proud, stubborn individual who doesn't like to be questioned. And he's short...may have something to do with it. Also he has little tiny baby feet., which has no real bearing on anything, I just thinks it's a funny fact.

Boro I wear an 8.5-9. Don't hate on small feet.

Dumbass fan base. Any intellectual football mind can see progress in this team since the day he has taken over

Agreed. I am really getting tired of these idiotic threads with out-of-context quotes attributed to coach Jones that have meaning read into them that is so far from truth.

I agree that there has been progress. In your opinion when does progress have to equate to wins and not just improvement. Thats the progress he is ultimately being paid for correct?

Next year....always.

Butch is causing a lot of his own suffering by continuing with his ill-timed, and ill-advised chronic diarrhea of the mouth. I'm beginning to sense he is a very proud, stubborn individual who doesn't like to be questioned. And he's short...may have something to do with it. Also he has little tiny baby feet., which has no real bearing on anything, I just thinks it's a funny fact.

What was that you said last night about being all for Jones?
Tell the truth you are really suffering from short man syndrome and enjoy the hell out of instigating as much trouble as you can, correct?

Reactions: 3 people
I think it's the way Butch talks that is killing him. Everyone sees the progress, and I think everyone wants him to succeed, but he has to stop making himself look and sound like an idiot.

He should just quit talking period and let his assistants speak to the media. Jancek, Mahoney, etc. have all done a great job being fairly straight forward, taking the blame, explaining the situation, yet remaining positive. If Butch would quit with the stubborn BS, it would take a lot of the pressure off.

What was that you said last night about being all for Jones?
Tell the truth you are really suffering from short man syndrome and enjoy the hell out of instigating as much trouble as you can, correct?

Are you following me again? I told you the autograph is in the mail, along with the audiobook you requested.

You forgot the other quote...

Inky Johnson called me yesterday and reminded that everyone wants the prize but no one wants the process." - Jones

I like Inky but he's not one to rock the boat and "the process" has been a nefarious term used to try and keep the fans at bay from criticizing Jones. It has little meaning, at this point, other than to be used as a tool to dismiss criticism. You have something critical to say? "Oh, well, you just don't understand the process. See, now I don't have to answer for anything." The proof is in the pudding and the on the field product demonstrates the process isn't quite what Jones purports it to be.

He sees his team every day in practice. The media doesn't. We don't. He's entitled to make that statement. It may be a truthful statement.

You're mad if he uses coach speak and cliches, you're mad if he gives an honest opinion. What do you want from him?

If you don't realize this program is light years ahead of when Dooley was in control, you are just being irrational.

Seems that many people put their sights on this being the break out season in which we win the close games and win the games that we are favored to win, thus having a 1 or 2 loss season.
Now your expectations are shattered and people are responding in certain ways.
I always expected 2016 to be the break thru season.

VN Store

Back