Please tell me Jones didn't say this...

He sees his team every day in practice. The media doesn't. We don't. He's entitled to make that statement. It may be a truthful statement.

You're mad if he uses coach speak and cliches, you're mad if he gives an honest opinion. What do you want from him?

Oh I don't know, how about winning football games?

Reactions: 2 people
He also said that he understands that your success is gauged on wins and losses. Dont take things out of context

Reactions: 4 people
The one number that counts. This is the type of quote that a loser says in order to distract from the fact that he's failing in the job he was hired to do. Carry water for him, if you want, but you're just fiddling on the deck of the Titanic while you commiserate over how stupid everyone is for not following the stupid logic put forth by Jones.

It should be readily apparent, however, that, even beyond the wins and losses, the idea of "progress" is a smokescreen because they, clearly, aren't well coached and Jones is well over his head.

Looks like we struck the berg. Damage control teams are away surveying the damage and we are waiting on reports. All will be well if we beat GA and AL, and we can get underway again. Don your life jacket and go to your lifeboat if we are 2-5. Prepare to abandon ship on Halloween night if we lose to Kentucky and are 2-6. Every fan has done his duty if we are 2-7 and lose to SC...at that point every fan for himself.

Reactions: 1 person
Jones also said today that "those who live in glass houses get dressed in the basement and he doesn't basement". Where does he come up with this stuff.

I guess he should have bought a house with a "basement" with that 3.5 mill.

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

He sees his team every day in practice. The media doesn't. We don't. He's entitled to make that statement. It may be a truthful statement.

You're mad if he uses coach speak and cliches, you're mad if he gives an honest opinion. What do you want from him?

in most cases - you play like you practice. and in this case the Vols are 2-3 this year and statistically the Vols are awful in a number of categories.

I do not disagree with this assessment at all. I've even stated I believe him to be a good caretaker. He's fixed the program, based upon its condition when he arrived. But he has a very low ceiling as an SEC head coach. We'll be lucky to ever see 9 wins....and statements like this one prove to me that is ok with him.
What's wrong with the statement? He's not wrong, and the OP conveniently left off the end of the quote "and I get that". I get why people are mad, but the piling on everything the dude says is out of control.

Your attraction to me is bordering on unnatural....but I am flattered.

You do seem to envision yourself quite the expert which I find curious when viewed in light of your admission that you don't have a clue.

If you don't realize this program is light years ahead of when Dooley was in control, you are just being irrational.

So if you had a kid failing math with a defeatist attitude who didn't even turn in the homework and had a 45% average you wouldn't expect more than just "improvement". I mean if the kid started saying positive things, turning in homework, and then seemed to plateau at 55%... would you be happy with that "light years" improvement?

Some things SEEM to have improved. But Jones still isn't winning and we are STILL getting a steady stream of excuses and rosy promises.

One of my employees who I like quite well has an attendance problem. She's a very good employee otherwise. We have coached and counselled her on several occasions. Each time she sincerely says she's working on it and promises to improve. If she doesn't improve soon, we will have to let her go. She intends to improve... but she's coming up short.

Jones no doubt intends to improve. He's trying. But saying he's better than Dooley doesn't say he's a success or will be one.

I don't know.

My gut reaction is that I want to see wins. In that light, the answer is dumb.

On the other hand, if you are trying to build (or re-build) a program, then the answer makes perfect sense.

We can debate all day long about whether he is the right guy or not. But, I really believe that he believes that is he doing right for UT football.

What's wrong with the statement? He's not wrong, and the OP conveniently left off the end of the quote "and I get that". I get why people are mad, but the piling on everything the dude says is out of control.

To me...and many others,the entire statement, even with the omitted phrase, is indicative of a level of comfort with just getting better. 4 million dollar head coaches are paid to win, not improve incrementally. And ther are most certainly not paid to lose by giving away two touchdowns leads late in their 3 biggest games.

There are those that believe I want a new coach. I don't. Yet. It's not time in my opinion, and the upheaval will set us back yet again. But Butch needs to step back, reassess, and humble himself a little. The system that is infallible, is failing him. It can be fixed, but his time to do so is now ticking away.

in most cases - you play like you practice. and in this case the Vols are 2-3 this year and statistically the Vols are awful in a number of categories.

If you can say with a straight face that you think we played "awful" in two of our three losses, then I'll shake your hand. For the first three quarters against Oklahoma and Florida, we played better than any Tennessee team I've seen in the last 5 years at least.

I'm disappointed as well. I'm very disappointed. But the team has gotten tons better, that just haven't closed against great competition. It's unfortunate, and I want to win now like you all, but I can see flashes of a team that can compete for an SEC championship without much talent in the upperclasses. That's pretty promising.

Seems that many people put their sights on this being the break out season in which we win the close games and win the games that we are favored to win, thus having a 1 or 2 loss season.
Now your expectations are shattered and people are responding in certain ways.
I always expected 2016 to be the break thru season.
Agreed. Still feel 8wins should be where this team ends the season. Including bowl game. 6-6 would be disappointing to myself and many others.. But no way should Jones be crucified for it. Lot of variables factor into a season..

You do seem to envision yourself quite the expert which I find curious when viewed in light of your admission that you don't have a clue.

Context little man, context. We've moved from the previous discussion. Now we are expressing opinions on a different subject. Still no expertise or "inside" info expressed or warranted, just guys expressing how they feel.

Your a sensitive guy...you get feelings, right?

The only things that matters (for job security) is wins.

I do not disagree with this assessment at all. I've even stated I believe him to be a good caretaker. He's fixed the program, based upon its condition when he arrived. But he has a very low ceiling as an SEC head coach. We'll be lucky to ever see 9 wins....and statements like this one prove to me that is ok with him.

Preach

To me...and many others,the entire statement, even with the omitted phrase, is indicative of a level of comfort with just getting better. 4 million dollar head coaches are paid to win, not improve incrementally. And ther are most certainly not paid to lose by giving away two touchdowns leads late in their 3 biggest games.

There are those that believe I want a new coach. I don't. Yet. It's not time in my opinion, and the upheaval will set us back yet again. But Butch needs to step back, reassess, and humble himself a little. The system that is infallible, is failing him. It can be fixed, but his time to do so is now ticking away.
How would you have answered the question? He has stated over and over
that he understands he is judged on wins and losses, so what's wrong with pointing to some positives in the same breath and showing confidence in his team?

VN Store

Back