Please tell me Jones didn't say this...

Jones actually coaches his best when he coaches like he has nothing to lose.

We saw that vs USCe last year. He wasn't absorbed in fears of losing... just doing all he could to win. No pressure not to choke since the game was lost unless he could steal it back.

Very true. Maybe we should go down by two TD's every game instead of going up by two scores.

Jones says players have improved in areas that fans can't see, how do you dispute that? You can't and Jones knows it, yes?

Reactions: 1 person
"Sometimes you see results that maybe outside people don't see because you're gauged on wins"

If so, I'm about ready to lose my mind. Why win when you can just prattle on about some nonsense regarding "progress",then tell everyone they can't see it, but I can?

Looks like you and the other negavols can't see improvements or don't want to see them. Trolls

edit: haven't learned to insert like you do...but my responses are embedded above.

You just have to bracket what you want to quote with the word "quote" between [] at the beginning then "quote" after the slash in [/] at the end. When you first hit the quote button, notice how the large quoted section is designated.

Can't totally argue here....this is got me really thinking deeper about some of the issues; however, while I am not a polyanna....I do see enough of a spark to think they can turn the corner. Most of the key contributors are 1 or 2 years in college....these young men need a boost and I'll just continue to believe it will come sooner than later.

I do too. Which is the frustrating part.... the REALLY frustrating part.

They've played well enough to be 4-1 or even 5-0. So for all the handwringing over youth and mistakes... those aren't the reasons they've lost NOR are they permanent problems (unless of course attrition continues at the same rate).

The foundational probably IMO is that Jones gets tight in big, close games. I don't even like the harshness of the term but do not know a better one... he chokes. Not only that, he is such a strong personality that the rest of the team reflect his "tightness" and choke as well.

I believe that is the connecting fiber between Jancek making a bad call on that 4th and 14... and Foreman forgetting all of his coaching and giving up outside leverage on the same play.

I think it explains why Jones went for 2 and erroneously claimed it was because the chart told him to. It think it is why two guys now have cost UT big games by fumbling in the red zone.

I definitely think it impacts Dobbs. I recognize Dobbs' personality. He contains and controls his emotions. He normally has a high tolerance for pressure. The one thing that can throw someone like him off is someone, especially a superior, who is very expressive and VERY tightly wound/nervous.

Like I said, all of the talent, experience, and development problems are fixable. But what does that get you if Jones doesn't stop getting so tight in pressure situations? It gets you a team that can beat 7 or so opponents per year on talent... but only win a third of the rest on average because of "chokes".

The VERY worst thing that could have happened with Dooley would have been for him to win 7 or 8 games in his last year. That probably would have extended his tenure for a year or two... and hurt the program even more.

The worst thing that can happen with Jones is similar but not for the same reasons. Too many would settle for a program that produced the 8 or 9 wins per year that Jones can give them without changing. I'm just not one of them.

..but my responses are embedded above.

Answering your points:

There always seems to be someone who cannot execute in Jones' O system. Right now it is pretty much everyone except for Kerbyson and Hurd. The D talent when they took over wasn't what they wanted for their system and had limitations. That said, there was more that could have been done with what they had. As has been discussed many times here, most other coaches adapt to what they have until they recruit what they want.

Jones never faced a similar level of competition. At Cincy, he only faced a schedule where the majority of opponents had a winning record in his first year. He went 4-8. In the last two years, he played 7 and 6 teams respectively with losing records. At UT, he averages playing only 2 teams per year with a losing record. My concern is twofold. One, he isn't a spring chicken. He has a fully developed philosophy and ideal for coaching. Two, he has been VERY defensive when criticized and has been reluctant to consider personal changes to his ideals/beliefs.

As far as the OL comment, it isn't all or even mostly the players. An observer made a comment in the first year that the techniques they were teaching the OL's were "crazy" or something to that effect. Even DeBord said he wanted to simplify things for the OL. It is possible that it just takes too long to master in order to be effective against the types of athletes the SEC has... works at lower levels... but not here.

In my line of work, you call it incremental improvement only if you gain ground without losing significant ground somewhere else... and that only if the bottom line result reflects improvement as well.

It is also difficult to call something "incremental" improvement when a comparison can be made between Jones' record and Dooley's through this point in their tenures.

I do see improvements in the team... but then backsliding in other places. For instance, the OL has improved IMO including pass pro.... but they don't seem to have a WR who can catch a cold much less get open.

And... the talent is now good enough to expose what looks like significant issues with coaching.

Can you honestly say there's been incremental improvement at WR in these 3 years? Is Pearson a much better player than when he arrived? Can they even keep WR's healthy?

The '13 D... the one without talent supposedly... allowed 29 ppg. Without Oregon (UT plays no one with an O like that this year), they allowed 26. They're currently allowing 25 ppg after allowing 24 ppg last year. I don't really see much improvement there either.

They're allowing 414 ypg currently and allowed 418 in '13. That isn't incremental improvement.

Last edited:
Dooley is not here anymore and Butch is the coach now. We're still in bad shape over the dumb a** coaching decisions made by our superior Butch Jones. He's getting paid millions of dollars and he's not earned one cent of that money since he's been here.

Reactions: 3 people
Look People, just think about this: While CBJ & company keep putting Colton Jumper out there does that NOT make you think "WHY IN THE HELL DO THEY KEEP PUTTING HIM IN THE GAME" after the Bowling Green game............does that not make you sit back and think, they MAY not be putting the BEST players on the field.........as I am a firm believer of you put the BEST talent on the field and learn to live w/ their mistakes early but talent will always rise to the top. Just like the O-Line, why in the holy hell do they move Robertson to RG when Wiseman is injured...........you should keep Robertson on the left side w/ Kerbyson to KEEP THE CONSISTENCY (non verbal language) they have and since you practiced Jack Jones (especially) and Crowder at Guard then why not move one of them in to that position instead of flip flopping ur line and as you can see the line has got worse w/ that move over the last 2 weeks.........go back and look at replaly of the games and look how bad Crowder is getting beat. Thats all im saying, but its the players they play in certain situations that have me scratching my head at times...........fire away. I just think its hard to belive that either Hall, J. Jones, Richmond, boulware could not move into that RG or RT spot and become more effective,

Jones does not believe in "gamers". So as long as Jumper is a great practice player... he'll keep playing.

Every major team doesn't have Lane Kiffin come in and run everyone off before hiring Derek Dooley to slack off in recruiting and bring the program to its worst depth in program history.

And not all of our oline guys have been in the system 3 years. You're reaching.

Curt was our best player and leader. Please point to another team that loses its best player and leader that performs to championship standards?

Ok - Wiseman, Crowder, Kendrick, Kerbyson, Sanders, all 3 years..........thomas, robertson, 2 years........that is enough time to develop talent, obviously you think they need 4+ years - and Curt was NOT our best player on D as that would be Barnett and Sutton, and besides most coaches will tell you that your best player can't be INJURED all the time.......as Maggitt has been injured 75% of his time at UT w/ 1 healthy season (last year), unfortunately, Maggit is one of those guys that is what you call an "injury waiting to happen" meaning he just gets dinged up on too many "freak" injuries

Jones does not believe in "gamers". So as long as Jumper is a great practice player... he'll keep playing.

Yep, he (jumper) can line everybody up but he can't make a tackle..............I saw 3 plays last week that if Jumper was in the game there was no way he would have made those plays that Kirkland made.......yes, Kirkland made some mistakes but I can see that guy being a monster by the end of the year.............running down every play from the backside

NONE of McElwain's OLs have been in his system for 3 years. Somehow they're playing effectively anyway.

Reactions: 3 people
That is called "peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining"

69262_627149060654812_392804430_n_zps54a0fccb.jpg

VN Store

Back