Post from someone at the game...

Oklahoma was scared at several points in the game...they thought they were about to get they azz whooped.

First half had them worried. They knew down 13-7 they were a score away from losing.

OU fans are humble and gracious hosts. I didnt have a negative experience one.

We had flashes of greatness. Hurd's run. D kept their run game on lock.

It was the inconsistencies. It was the 3 turnovers in red zone. It was the difference. OU knew it.

This is the only game I have been to this year and I am excited, very excited.

Oh, by the way, no knock to OU, but their stadium was...not...so..good...people couldnt get to their seats, no markings to help people, no staff to help. I waited 30 minutes to get to my seat, while at the bottom of the stairs. It should have taken 3. OU fans actually apologized.

I am excited and you should be too.

Negatives:

Worley. He doesnt keep, he is afraid to get hit, he could have run several times for positive yards, 1st down, and even one potential TD.

I think this O would be better in its current state with a dual threat.

GBO!

Don't know who this guy is but I have to worry about his cred when says he had a hard time finding his way to his way to his seat. Sure did not see the same game I did.

Reactions: 2 people
I think Worley has played pretty well in the first few games other than keeping the ball. That is terrible and makes us completely predictable. Either te plays are actually just stupid run plays that develop slow and he's not even supposed to keep it, which is a horrible offensive scheme no matter how you slice it... Or he IS being too timid to keep he ball. Maybe he just doesn't process things fast enough. It takes a split second decision.

Read the first sentence of this article. Tells me a lot.

Climer: Vols make safe QB choice

Reactions: 1 person

Ainge said it on his show multiple times during the summer. I'm not sure if the podcasts are still up anywhere. You could go to the Swain Event thread and ask Stokes to confirm that.

Plus, Jones or Bajakian said Worley only had one true option called against I think Utah State (but there were plays that Worley made the call to pull on the fly even though it wasn't a designed option). I believe it was after an early week practice. I'm trying to remember which show I heard that on.

Edit to add: apparently Doug Matthews has said it a couple times as well.

Last edited:
Oklahoma was scared at several points in the game...they thought they were about to get they azz whooped.

First half had them worried. They knew down 13-7 they were a score away from losing.

It was the inconsistencies. It was the 3 turnovers in red zone. It was the difference. OU knew it.

Oh, by the way, no knock to OU, but their stadium was...not...so..good...people couldnt get to their seats, no markings to help people, no staff to help. I waited 30 minutes to get to my seat, while at the bottom of the stairs. It should have taken 3. OU fans actually apologized.

Negatives:

Worley. He doesnt keep, he is afraid to get hit, he could have run several times for positive yards, 1st down, and even one potential TD.

GBO!

Good post, appreciate your perspective and optimism. Not sure about the take on Worley. He doesn't keep it but I'm not sure that the reason is because he is afraid. I saw a kid stand in the pocket like a grown man, take a beating and keep getting up for more tonight. It's been suggested that the coaches are telling him not to keep it because we can't afford to have him get injured.

You put in your system and work with what you have until you can get the people that fit your system. I've said it before, we have to let the Dooley recruits slowly trickle out. That is not a knock on Worley though..he is night and day compared to last year and its a positive.

They wouldnt wait for Fulmer and Klawson to get that spread installed - Boyd was commited - And I agree with you - its CBJs system and that offense is what he wants recruits to see -- it was late and I didnt want to argue with that poster that was 'at the game' listening to OU fans

I think what some fans don't realize with the read option, is the defense sees the ball quicker (responds quicker) than the fans see it. Once the defender responds, their all in, such as going toward the middle, thus there "appears" to be an opening the QB could have ran through. But the defender was reading their options too.

You read one guy.....it doesn't matter what the others react to.....you run for 3 yards and slide.....it keeps the defense honest and the they won't have the whole team going after the RB

Read option aside. There were many opportunities while scrambling for Justin to get 6-7 yards and slide. Instead it was force the ball into multiple coverage. The play that got me, other than 3rd & 2 on the 3 pick 6, was a 3rd & 6 in the third qtr. He could've peeled of 10 yards EASILY (He had closest DT already beat and all LBS were in coverage) before sliding and kept the drive going. Instead it ended up in the 2n row. Throwing it away on 3rd down instead of running 6 yards with nobody around. Smh
I'm praying he's being told not to run. If that's the case, why did he keep it and get to the 3 yd line two plays before the pick 6?

It may be true that Worley is not much of a run threat and that is because he is not much of a runner, but how can anyone say that is because he is afraid to get hit? Worley has been a big part of our success this year.

That being said, it is also true that we need more of a dual threat at QB for this offense to really work properly.

Reactions: 2 people
It may be true that Worley is not much of a run threat and that is because he is not much of a runner, but how can anyone say that is because he is afraid to get hit? Worley has been a big part of our success this year.

That being said, it is also true that we need more of a dual threat at QB for this offense to really work properly.

Agree. Wish Worley would run it more, but he ain't afraid.

Negatives:

GBO!
Agree that Worley should keep the ball more often on the read to bring credibility to the play. That being said, I know longer think he gives the ball off due to being afraid to be hit. That young man got pounded last night and kept getting up and making some tough plays late in the game. Our OL needs to get tougher with pass protection. Give him another second and who knows what he might do. I am proud of those young men, and even though there were some questionable plays, they played hard the entire game. Some of the teams in the past would have folded at half time. It was a good learning experience that (hopefully) will produce dividends later in the season. Go VOLS!

91 stayed home on the left all night. That grimlin striker was too quick to keep and go right. There was maybe 2 plays that worley Maybe gets back to scrimmage if he keeps. You way off on QB being your 1st complaint. If u think u can see better from the stadium than we can from the couch u should be gripin about the no call holding or pass interference. I don't think OU was called on either all night. Maybe I missed one when I went to bathroom

Wow...a reasonable explanation...you too must be a liar.

But, we weren't there so what do we know...

They wouldnt wait for Fulmer and Klawson to get that spread installed - Boyd was commited - And I agree with you - its CBJs system and that offense is what he wants recruits to see -- it was late and I didnt want to argue with that poster that was 'at the game' listening to OU fans

Thank you so ppl not remember them saying they gear the offense toward the personnel they have if Worley was a 4.5 guy this would be a different team but he's not he is a good solid an that does what he is told ...truth be told I dnt want him pulling it till we play Bama or put in a wideout with speed they have plays look at the highlights from when they were at cincy

You put in your system and work with what you have until you can get the people that fit your system. I've said it before, we have to let the Dooley recruits slowly trickle out. That is not a knock on Worley though..he is night and day compared to last year and its a positive.

Exactamundo! Should be pretty obvious too! JD can't manage or make the throws JW can. You use what you have that gives you the best chance of winning!

thank you so ppl not remember them saying they gear the offense toward the personnel they have if worley was a 4.5 guy this would be a different team but he's not he is a good solid an that does what he is told ...truth be told i dnt want him pulling it till we play bama or put in a wideout with speed they have plays look at the highlights from when they were at cincy

what?

he was afraid to run the ball...OU fans were making fun of him. They said...oh look, the option, I wonder who isnt going to run...

Were you at the game? No...Worley disappointed the TN fans around me, and rejoiced the OU fans around me...

Glad he was smart enough to not run. Can't afford to have him get hurt. Worley is playing very smart. I can't question his heart or his toughness.

Reactions: 3 people
he was afraid to run the ball...OU fans were making fun of him. They said...oh look, the option, I wonder who isnt going to run...

Were you at the game? No...Worley disappointed the TN fans around me, and rejoiced the OU fans around me...

Lol @ were you at the game. News flash: while being at the game is more fun, you see things better on TV. Don't have to be at the game to see how it unfolds.

VN Store

Back