Post from someone at the game...

Ainge said it on his show multiple times during the summer. I'm not sure if the podcasts are still up anywhere. You could go to the Swain Event thread and ask Stokes to confirm that.

Plus, Jones or Bajakian said Worley only had one true option called against I think Utah State (but there were plays that Worley made the call to pull on the fly even though it wasn't a designed option). I believe it was after an early week practice. I'm trying to remember which show I heard that on.

Edit to add: apparently Doug Matthews has said it a couple times as well.

Those podcasts aren't available anymore. This is a spread offense ran out of a shotgun. That doesn't mean every running play is a "read option" play. If it's not a called option then he is going to keep it. The problem, from a perception standpoint, is that none of us are in the huddle and the run plays all look the same. it looks like Worley should keep on every single play. But that isn't the case. Should they call more options for him at times, yes. But he isn't a running QB. He can do enough to pick up some positive yards and extend plays and move withing in the pocket, but he isn't ripping off 20 yard gainers. The coaches call plays and mold the offense as best they can to the personnel they have. As far as last night goes, I wouldn't have called any options for him at all with the way he was getting beat on every time the ball was snapped. No sense it giving the defense a free pass to tee off on him. I do think the play calling was suspect at times. The sweep to pig late, going 5 wide on 3rd and 2 near the goal line when the o-line was actually getting push at the time. Regardless, the o-line was a liability and it didn't really matter what was called most of the game. The moral of the story is that a large percentage of the run plays called are not "read option" plays.

Thanks man.

I'd agree the play calling wasn't great at times last night, although I'm nowhere near the Fire Bajakian bandwagon some seem to be cranking up.

I'll hold out hope he can adjust and become more consistent.

Vehemently disagree about Worley being a negative.

Guy played his pills off.

I agree! Worleys arm has impressed me, so far. Wish he could run but there is no way he is afraid to get hit. Stayed in the pocket most of the night making damn good throws. Oline has to protect him.

Reactions: 2 people
he was afraid to run the ball...OU fans were making fun of him. They said...oh look, the option, I wonder who isnt going to run...

Were you at the game? No...Worley disappointed the TN fans around me, and rejoiced the OU fans around me...

The OU fans actually applauded Worley's toughness and even said they wish they were playing in Knoxville this year because they will be better next year.

I agree that Worley should keep the ball occasionally on the read option because the DE's and OLB's were crashing down the line.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think we are running the read option.
It's either a hand off or a pass.

This is the run and shoot.

guys I don't think the coaches want Worley running the ball, our season goes down the toilet if he gets hurt. With Worley healthy we have a solid chance at several upsets.

Reactions: 4 people
Just curious...but how many of you complaining about Worley/play calling make a living on the offensive side of the football? If you don't and simply are a spectator...I will listen when you get a paycheck an an OC.

The OU fans actually applauded Worley's toughness and even said they wish they were playing in Knoxville this year because they will be better next year.

I agree that Worley should keep the ball occasionally on the read option because the DE's and OLB's were crashing down the line.

Lucky for you if you didnt sit next to the OP at the game

Considering the lack of blocking, Worley did very well. He maybe could have run on the option a couple of more times, but not a big issue. He fumbled once, but I am surprised it wasn't more, considering how many times he got hit. The first interception was a good pass, just Croom's fault to let it be taken away. The second interception was his only really bad play, but I can't blame him too much considering all the stress he was under. Our other QBs may get there in the future, but I don't think they are ready for this right now.

Like what I saw with J Worley. Toughness, leadership and grit. From an outside view, I was wondering about some of the play calling. It seems that some calls put Worley into a more difficult position than needed.

Oklahoma was scared at several points in the game...they thought they were about to get they azz whooped.

First half had them worried. They knew down 13-7 they were a score away from losing.

OU fans are humble and gracious hosts. I didnt have a negative experience one.

We had flashes of greatness. Hurd's run. D kept their run game on lock.

It was the inconsistencies. It was the 3 turnovers in red zone. It was the difference. OU knew it.

This is the only game I have been to this year and I am excited, very excited.

Oh, by the way, no knock to OU, but their stadium was...not...so..good...people couldnt get to their seats, no markings to help people, no staff to help. I waited 30 minutes to get to my seat, while at the bottom of the stairs. It should have taken 3. OU fans actually apologized.

I am excited and you should be too.

Negatives:

Worley. He doesnt keep, he is afraid to get hit, he could have run several times for positive yards, 1st down, and even one potential TD.

I think this O would be better in its current state with a dual threat.

GBO!
I was with you all the way and even on Worley running for + yards...but he was not afraid to get hit...he took it again and again.

Glad you were well received and had a good time, but your assessment of Worley is ridiculous. He played very well, didn't get a lot of help from his receivers, and just kept peeling himself up from the ground and pushing on. There were multiple times that I thought he might be done for the night. I actually feel better about him going forward...the OL is where you should worry.

Oklahoma was scared at several points in the game...they thought they were about to get they azz whooped.

First half had them worried. They knew down 13-7 they were a score away from losing.

OU fans are humble and gracious hosts. I didnt have a negative experience one.

We had flashes of greatness. Hurd's run. D kept their run game on lock.

It was the inconsistencies. It was the 3 turnovers in red zone. It was the difference. OU knew it.

This is the only game I have been to this year and I am excited, very excited.

Oh, by the way, no knock to OU, but their stadium was...not...so..good...people couldnt get to their seats, no markings to help people, no staff to help. I waited 30 minutes to get to my seat, while at the bottom of the stairs. It should have taken 3. OU fans actually apologized.

I am excited and you should be too.

Negatives:

Worley. He doesnt keep, he is afraid to get hit, he could have run several times for positive yards, 1st down, and even one potential TD.

I think this O would be better in its current state with a dual threat.

GBO!

You had me until Worley getting hit comment. Dude took a pounding last night and I'm still not sure he doesn't have a concussion. We have to have a leader on the Offense with such a young offensive and inexperienced team. He is the one for the job! 7-8 wins this year should be about where we get to.

:eek:k:

Tennesseeduke

he was afraid to run the ball...OU fans were making fun of him. They said...oh look, the option, I wonder who isnt going to run...

Were you at the game? No...Worley disappointed the TN fans around me, and rejoiced the OU fans around me...

Peyton Manning disappointed me in the super bowl. SS fans everywhere were making fun of how bad he was. I guess its established he sucks then.

Ignorant observation IMO. I don't care if you rode on the team plane.

So you have to be at a game to truly assess what happened? I guess that is why coaches always say they need to look at the tape.

:no:

Read option aside. There were many opportunities while scrambling for Justin to get 6-7 yards and slide. Instead it was force the ball into multiple coverage. The play that got me, other than 3rd & 2 on the 3 pick 6, was a 3rd & 6 in the third qtr. He could've peeled of 10 yards EASILY (He had closest DT already beat and all LBS were in coverage) before sliding and kept the drive going. Instead it ended up in the 2n row. Throwing it away on 3rd down instead of running 6 yards with nobody around. Smh
I'm praying he's being told not to run. If that's the case, why did he keep it and get to the 3 yd line two plays before the pick 6?

THIS!!! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IM SAYING...some of the responses on here are ignorant. And yes being at a game in the crowd is different than sitting your ass at home...you get perspectives from both sides..everyone gives their opinion and you have a discussion...

Still trying to figure out how my watching the game n TV changes the fact that I saw Worley get hit on probably 70% of the plays and kept getting back up and getting back in there.

Did they add hits to the TV version that the rest of us saw?

Makes no F***ing sense. :blink:

Personally, i could care less what the Sooner fans thought of Worley. I suspect that if he had a decent OL in front of him, they would not have been "rejoicing him". THey would have been upset because they could not keep him from picking apart their DB's.

VN Store

Back