Practice #1 Updates 8.4

Neiko and Pig

11231949.jpeg

I want to see something from Neiko this year. This kid is too much of a physical specimen not to make some sort of impact this season.

i think intrinsically this team gets it. and it's evident that the culture and mindset that CBJ wants ingrained is taking shape. this, in and of itself, doesn't necessarily translate in to play on the field, but this kind of stuff is what good/great teams generally are made of:

“We had a great leadership opportunity [today] and Cam Sutton took full advantage of it,” recalled Jones. “When our second team defense didn’t sprint onto the football field, he called them all back and had them re-huddle and sprint back onto the football field. [Sutton] said, `That’s not the way we do things at Tennessee.'”

if there can be this kind of accountability and ownership can continue to be displayed by the PLAYERS, i think we'll win more than we lose.

and this was on day one. talk about setting a tone, or setting an expectation......

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I feel for Saulsberry man, hoping he can stay healthy this year and be a solid contributor on the interior.

Great to have a guy like that among those youngsters. Hope he can stay healthy enough to ball out some this year too.

Practice jerseys look like Broncos orange....maybe the lighting?

They are wet. Before practice they look good but after with them being in the dark and wet they start to look Bronco orange.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
i think intrinsically this team gets it. and it's evident that the culture and mindset that CBJ wants ingrained is taking shape. this, in and of itself, doesn't necessarily translate in to play on the field, but this kind of stuff is what good/great teams generally are made of:

“We had a great leadership opportunity [today] and Cam Sutton took full advantage of it,” recalled Jones. “When our second team defense didn’t sprint onto the football field, he called them all back and had them re-huddle and sprint back onto the football field. [Sutton] said, `That’s not the way we do things at Tennessee.'”

if there can be this kind of accountability and ownership can continue to be displayed by the PLAYERS, i think we'll win more than we lose.

and this was on day one. talk about setting a tone, or setting an expectation......

that kind of attitude and leadership cannot, nor should not be undervalued! I'm loving the updates and apparent unstoppable drive from the team leaders.

Reactions: 1 person
Yep, building on itself! If it were interest rates, we'd use the term "compounding."

After 30 days, with improvement building on itself day after day, the team would be 33.4% better.

After 60 days, the team would be 80% better.

Butch ain't dumb. That boy got some smarts in him.

Go Vols!

[p.s. Truth be told, Butch's genius in this case has nothing to do with math or compounding ... it has to do with getting 105 players focused on the idea of improving every day, no slack days, no day off, finding ways to get better ... that's the genius part]

The Cam Sutton machination of taking the 2nd string D off the field and reentering...because they didn't do it right the first time? The sometimes corny rhetoric and clichés Butch espouses OVER AND OVER...suddenly you see players bought in. The concept of fundamentals is to practice them over and over until they're part of you...we're seeing that mentally as well as physically in the players. :victory:

Reactions: 3 people
@Volquest_Paul: After talking to players, two newcomers that impressed were Justin Martin at corner and Jauan Jennings at WR.

@VolRumorMill: I understand the game better. I understand offensive line schemes. I'm a lot more confident now, no more nerves.
-Derek Barnett

@Vol_Football: BARNETT: I've got more pass rush moves. I'm stronger too. http://t.co/VQ5Tvq3j4i

@Vol_Football: BARNETT: I'm excited to see what he does this fall. Khalil is doing good things.

From what I can see in the video, Martin is a very smooth and gifted athelete. I like E. Mosely a lot, but Martin looks like a potential starter if he can pickup the playbook quickly. Also, a stronger and more technically sound Barnett could produce some record setting numbers. Defense will be really salty.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 431
Yep, building on itself! If it were interest rates, we'd use the term "compounding."

After 30 days, with improvement building on itself day after day, the team would be 33.4% better.

After 60 days, the team would be 80% better.

Butch ain't dumb. That boy got some smarts in him.

Go Vols!

[p.s. Truth be told, Butch's genius in this case has nothing to do with math or compounding ... it has to do with getting 105 players focused on the idea of improving every day, no slack days, no day off, finding ways to get better ... that's the genius part]

The Cam Sutton machination of taking the 2nd string D off the field and reentering...because they didn't do it right the first time? The sometimes corny rhetoric and clichés Butch espouses OVER AND OVER...suddenly you see players bought in. The concept of fundamentals is to practice them over and over until they're part of you...we're seeing that mentally as well as physically in the players. :victory:
he's kept it "small" for them. we're not trying to win the national title today. we're not trying to end a 10 year losing streak today. with all the hoopla and fan anxiety, which i'm sure they're all well aware of, he's done a very good job of keeping things "small". set small, tangible, reachable goals, that do get raised little by little over time.

and it's nothing new, i've heard coaches and leaders in general, talk about this all the time. the trick though is getting the buy in. and you do that by being constantly consistent---purpose, clarity, set expectations, communicate, over communicate and communicate again (the corny stuff some of us have already started to make light of--process, brick by brick, worry about what you can control etc...).

if this stuff isn't fake, and it's truly representative of your core values and beliefs, eventually, that becomes the culture.

and i think, to this point at least, you're seeing all of this come to fruition. next step...how does it translate over the next month in practice, and then in live competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Guys....in case it isn't as clear to everyone else as it is to me...our roster was complete garbage under Dooley compared to our current team. I remember them being slower, WR's dropping passes, QB's making crap throws, and just not quite looking like top tier SEC talent, to the point that it was obvious even in the practice videos. I mean...remember the meltdown when Da'rick left the team? We were starved for talent.

This is not the same Tennessee and the past 5-6 years are about to be forgotten. I know most of us are really just hoping for an 8-4 season, but I think something special is about to happen on The Hill.

Agree 100%. I made a thread saying something similar a few days ago. And after seeing the post-practice interviews, my belief in this team has increased. You can just tell there is a confidence in everyone from the players to Coach Jones that they're about to do something special. Derek Barnett sorta let it spill when he said the reason he's looking forward to this season is because he knows they're gonna be good. From Dobbs to Cam to Curt to even the always conservative Coach Butch Jones, you can really see the optimism they all have.

They know they have a squad and they're ready to let the rest of the nation know how good it is. I expect huge things this season.

consistent---purpose, clarity, set expectations, communicate, over communicate and communicate again...truly representative of your core values and beliefs, eventually, that becomes the culture.

Amen, amen, amen, and amen.

The path to championships, illuminated by Butch. The man flat-out knows how to coach young men.

VN Store

Back