Practice 13

Heres a conspiracy theory for ya. What if Jones realizes Byrd is ultimately an all american, shut down corner but also a game changer at the slot. Given were somewhat short on big time threats on offense, why not leave Byrd at the slot this season and maybe even run him on defense in some nickel and/or dime packages. If he explodes at the slot then great unless he decides to declare. If not then Jones gifts him to Warren to develop into the shut down corner many of us believe he can be. This way next year is Byrds coming out party and his senior year he becomes the all america 1st round pick we all hope he is. I know it's far out but stranger things have happened and this way we get four years of his services and everybody makes out

I think more then likely they want Byrd ready to fill in if need be. But what do I know. He seems to be a damn fine corner.

Reactions: 1 person
So more a talented than #15 and #10? Seriously?

FWIW, Jennings is one of the most talented WR's to pass through UT in a while... and mostly because of nuances I doubt you have any ability to understand.

Jauan is a gritty tough guy who has made a ton of plays for us but he isn't overly talented IMO. He's not very fast. His hands are not that great (which is understandable cause he's only been a receiver for 2.5 years). He double catches a lot of balls. I like Jauan but I wouldn't call him an elite talent.

Josh Palmer reminds me of David Boston. Remember him? Before he went crazy with steriods he was a pretty good player. He was drafted in the top 10 of the 1999 draft. Palmer and Boston have similar size, body types, gaits, and I think they look similar catching the ball.

Jauan is a gritty tough guy who has made a ton of plays for us but he isn't overly talented IMO. He's not very fast. His hands are not that great (which is understandable cause he's only been a receiver for 2.5 years). He double catches a lot of balls. I like Jauan but I wouldn't call him an elite talent.

Josh Palmer reminds me of David Boston. Remember him? Before he went crazy with steriods he was a pretty good player. He was drafted in the top 10 of the 1999 draft. Palmer and Boston have similar size, body types, gaits, and I think they look similar catching the ball.

So now Jennings isn't an elite talent? Lol

Reactions: 2 people

You're the weirdest human on earth

Reactions: 13 people
Malone and his 4.40 speed wasn't explosive on the outside last year?

Malone was more of a long range speed kind of guy than someone who was explosive. Just look at his vertical leap numbers at the combine and compare them to someone like Alvin Kamara who had a slower 40.

IMO 40 time is a measure of long-range speed. The vertical jump and broad jump are measures of explosiveness.

Alvin Kamara = explosive but not fast
Josh Malone = fast but not explosive
Julio Jones = fast and explosive

Reactions: 4 people
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VInV5yT3KlQ[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq3SiekI3t4[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TGqjqx2kOg[/youtube]

Physically? No. I think when he gets to the combine he will test as an average athlete at best. I don't expect to see a very fast 40 or a high vertical jump. Also I wouldn't say Jauan's skills as a receiver in terms of hands or route running are elite. He double catches a lot of balls and doesn't possess natural hands.

With that said, Jauan is a dog and I wouldn't trade him for any other receiver in the country. Not even Antonio Callaway, who I think is vastly more talented and will be the better NFL player. There is just something about having a gritty competitor like Jauan Jennings that is totally invaluable on this football team.

Jauan Jennings is the heart and soul of this team and I have a feeling he's gonna lead us to a championship this year.

Reactions: 3 people

Don't think he's saying that...

Jauan is a really good athlete....but, he's a better competitor than he is silky smooth athlete...

I'd take Jauan all day over silky smooth, but Palmer does look very fluid in the routes videotaped recently....

Palmer looks graceful...without much effort...more so than Jauan...

Let's see how it translates to Saturday's...

Again, I'd take competitor over athlete all day...

Speed and size on Palmer just looks different from everyone else. I like Callaway but he looks like he's plodding when he's running. And Brandon Johnson is more smooth than explosive.

Palmer just looks explosive. Something we haven't had on the outside in a long time.

What about that Josh kid from last year that's now with the Bengals. A few years before him was the kid that went to return kckoffs for the Vikings, he was really explosive.

I hope this freshman is a good as either of them!

Last edited:
You're the weirdest human on earth

I just have great pattern recognition skills so I notice things like how a player runs and when it reminds me of another player with a similar running style I'm able to connect the dots fairly quickly.

When I first saw Josh Palmer I said to myself I had seem someone like him before. So I kept trying to think of what player he reminded me of. Then finally a few days ago it hit me. David Boston.

Same thing happened when it comes to Quinten Dormady. I've been comparing him to Joe Flacco for a while but that comp never felt completely right to me. So a few days ago I'm watching youtube clips and I see Kerry Collins throwing the football and boom just like that it hits me. That's Quinten Dormady's comp. Kerry Collins has similar size and throwing motion.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't think he's saying that...

Jauan is a really good athlete....but, he's a better competitor than he is silky smooth athlete...

I'd take Jauan all day over silky smooth, but Palmer does look very fluid in the routes videotaped recently....

Palmer looks graceful...without much effort...more so than Jauan...

Let's see how it translates to Saturday's...

Again, I'd take competitor over athlete all day...

Exactly. Jauan is probably my favorite player on the team just from the way he plays the game and the toughness he brings to the team. But he isn't exactly the most graceful or skilled athlete out there. And he's far from the most natural receiver on the team.

I think people too many times equate talent with how good you are. A guy can be incredibly talented but simply not as good as another guy who is less talented but doesn't always play up to that talent level. For example, Justin Martin has been one of the most talented players on our team since he showed up in 2015. But he's rarely shown it. While Jauan has been far from the most talented but he's been an impact player since his first game as a true freshmen against Bowling Green.

Reactions: 5 people
Have to agree....Palmer is smooth! Looks like he's in another class athletically...

I agree 100% with u..Brandon is not explosive but his feet work is off the charts smooth as hell.. Brandon loved Palmer and he thinks he is going to be a star..I think Callaway going to be good but sometimes he looks to stiff.. In the off season Chad work on Brandon foot work getting off the line

Exactly. Jauan is probably my favorite player on the team just from the way he plays the game and the toughness he brings to the team. But he isn't exactly the most graceful or skilled athlete out there. And he's far from the most natural receiver on the team.

I think people too many times equate talent with how good you are. A guy can be incredibly talented but simply not as good as another guy who is less talented but doesn't always play up to that talent level. For example, Justin Martin has been one of the most talented players on our team since he showed up in 2015. But he's rarely shown it. While Jauan has been far from the most talented but he's been an impact player since his first game as a true freshmen against Bowling Green.

Totally agree...anyone who's played sports knows that there is rarely a substitute for a gritty competitor!

Jauan is a baller! He has instincts and grit! He is athletic, but not elite....his will and competitive spirit will win us games before his athleticism does...and has!

Last edited:
I agree 100% with u..Brandon is not explosive but his feet work is off the charts smooth as hell.. Brandon loved Palmer and he thinks he is going to be a star..I think Callaway going to be good but sometimes he looks to stiff.. In the off season Chad work on Brandon foot work getting off the line

Yeah Brandon is gonna be nice. He's got that smooth Reggie Wayne type game.

I think Brandon will be significant contributor this year...solid, heady and sneaky athletic...

Never hurts to have a former All-Pro as your receivers coach during the off season.:)

VN Store

Back