Practice 18

ON THE LINE: Tennessee appeared to have eight scholarship offensive linemen available for any potential 11-on-11 work based on the early periods of practice.

The players getting most of the work during individual drills were Brett Kendrick, Drew Richmond, Marcus Tatum, Ryan Johnson, Riley Locklear, Venzell Boulware, Jashon Robertson and Trey Smith.
That was a sneaky way to tell us who missed practice.... J Jones, Thomas, Niehaus, Hall... did I miss anyone with a realistic shot at making the two deep?

Reactions: 2 people
thanks Fingers...boy, the footballs sure got bigger since the bowl game...:)

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With two 5* players and a wealth of experience, if the O-line blows this year, Butch needs to reconsider the blocking scheme. It's absurd this is still a concern.

Offense was statistically, in the top 2 in Tennessee history last year. The offense was not the problem. The defense was statistically one of the two worst in Tennessee history. Vols have to keep the starting DL healthy (depth is unproven at best), get some production (any production would be an improvement) from LBs and find at least one cover corner and much improved play from safety.

Defense has to at least play to a MAC level this year or Vols will struggle to win 7.

Reactions: 4 people
The reports on the OL continue to leave me bewildered... 😳

IF our OL is not vastly improved then you can bank on 8-4 being our ceiling this year.

Yep. Badly need Coleman Thomas and Jack Jones back ASAP with Chance Hall and K'rohn Calbert already out for the year. Sounds like we already have 4 OL out at the moment.

Last edited:
So P. Fant is going to be moved to TE?

He looks the part to me. Was wondering that back when the first practices began. We'll see if anybody emerges to play in tandem with Wolf. We're going to need at least one guy to step up big next season.

Hearing that we actually may have good LB depth is probably the most important thing. It raises my faith that we hit 10 wins this season.

The LBs look to be very conditioned, agile, and quick. Obviously, we need them to have a great understanding of the defense, but they look the part imo

Looks like McBride will start!

Seriously, more of a 3 way battle than most believe. McBride will still probably be the 3rd option/redshirt but news about him is encouraging.

It isn't a 3 way battle. It isn't even a two way battle unless JG has made a LOT of progress since the spring. Based on the part of the O he ran and the way he managed it, QD had a pretty good lead coming out of the spring. Ignoring the 100% completion rate since it isn't realistic to expect that from any of them... QD operated the O in a smooth fashion. He made the right line calls. He made the right pre-snap reads. He made the right post snap reads. He didn't appear to make any mental errors at all.

Since then... Jones has called him "consistent". That's not a flashy compliment but probably the highest one Jones ever gives anyone

Reactions: 2 people
That was a sneaky way to tell us who missed practice.... J Jones, Thomas, Niehaus, Hall... did I miss anyone with a realistic shot at making the two deep?

I loved that and laughed really hard. So stinking funny.

I have been waiting since the begging of camp for the O-line to get some good press, news, tweet etc. and I haven't seen it yet. Either improvement has not been made or it has been kept under wraps. I am really getting worried. I know the story line, long list of returning players, good talent, good depth, better coach.
I here good reviews about the running backs. I can only assume they are doing well because the blocking is better. Is it? What's going on over there?
Some inside info would be appreciated.

Reactions: 1 person
It isn't a 3 way battle. It isn't even a two way battle unless JG has made a LOT of progress since the spring. Based on the part of the O he ran and the way he managed it, QD had a pretty good lead coming out of the spring. Ignoring the 100% completion rate since it isn't realistic to expect that from any of them... QD operated the O in a smooth fashion. He made the right line calls. He made the right pre-snap reads. He made the right post snap reads. He didn't appear to make any mental errors at all.

Since then... Jones has called him "consistent". That's not a flashy compliment but probably the highest one Jones ever gives anyone

Of course it's not a 3-way battle.

But do you honestly know or have enough information available that QD will start? I would bet QD starts too but it is far from certain.

Even in the O&W game that QD blew up, JG had great stats with a lot less playing time...as his OL didn't hold up as well as the one QD had.

Also, DB was a relative unknown until the last few weeks of fall camp his FR season. Sometimes surprises happen.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back