Practice 18

I hope you're right. We may be ok...just not hearing any glowing remarks about OL, except for Trey...could certainly be "coach speak" motivation.

Sorry, but I can't buy a single game vs Bama two years ago as "exhibit A" to say our OL has the right stuff. I think that game had more to do with Bama not being ready for Dobbs running and our spread attack being dialed in. After a year to scout us, they figured it out pretty well last year.

Dude, bama was the better team and would have won anyway but it didn't take much to beat the Tennessee team Butch fielded that day. They were beat up physically and emotionally after playing one of the most brutal string of SEC games in league history.

Lot of whining about "losing" a top (instate) DB prospect in Jacoby Stevens. Now he's a LB for LSU and Theo Jackson is looking like a future stud. :dunno:

A certain someone said last year around this time that Jacoby Stevens wasn't all he was cracked up to be and we shouldn't care that he went to LSU.

I wonder who that was?

The offense had plenty of problems against SCe and Vandy...couldn't crank a long drive or score out when we needed it most.....:salute:

Our offense ran all over Vandy. Almost 600 yards. 170+ on the ground. Our defense was just completely non-existent.

South Carolina. Josh Dobbs had one of his worst games as a Vol that night. He finished with a QBR of only 12.5 completing less than half his passes and throwing 2 INTs. That's also the game Jalen Hurd quit on our team in the middle of. Kamara missed the game bc of his knees. Just an all around sh*t show.

Reactions: 5 people
#14 Sapp looks like he is gonna be a beast. I saw 14 on those videos and wasn't sure who it was but damn did he stick out athletically. From those videos I now know why they have been so excited to get him back.

Reactions: 1 person
Dude, bama was the better team and would have won anyway but it didn't take much to beat the Tennessee team Butch fielded that day. They were beat up physically and emotionally after playing one of the most brutal string of SEC games in league history.

Dude, I agree we were beat up in 2016, but still don't think we're winning that game even if we played them on the front end of the 4 game gauntlet...we were too disjointed last year, even w/o the injuries, rarely playing a full 4 qtrs, which Bama would have exposed.

It also was an Ala team that was obviously exhausted and a step slow because they hadn't had an off week yet. We caught them at the perfect time and still couldn't beat them. We couldn't have had a better day and time to play them with potential for their to be an upset. Missed opportunities and FG's killed us again vs Ala.
Team 119 played especially on the OL as a unit very clean, physical, and almost penalty free the whole season. Comparatively team 120 was almost their polar opposite. I disagree concerning Bama as exhibit A here on VN we constantly hear of the talent stacked up at every position by them. You can't have it both ways with talent everywhere aching for playing time and the team "tired" and caught just right. Exhibit B, the right side of our OL the entire Bama game that season when our two freshman were in literally caved that side of their D in whenever their numbers were called. It was no fluke. What was a fluke IMO is how the gains from team 119 on the OL did not transfer well to 120. That OL from game one came out puffy, inconsistent, and lackadaisical and it c arried through the whole season IMO. My expectations are the staff has solved that gap between 119 & 120 with the coming group of 121 on the OL especially.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope not, given how little we throw to TEs, I don't know why we tie up so many scholarships at this position.

1. Wolfe
2. Johnson
3. Wolfe
4. Pope
5. Bumphus
6. Brown
7. Fant

Geez!!

Two of those are gone after this year, plus we red shirt at least 2 of those guys this year. Depth never hurts plus we'll actually be able to red shirt players at a position that is hard to play as a freshman. Stark difference from butch's first couple of years.

Stop listening to that bozo

If you take Basilio purely as entertainment, his show is great. I laugh out loud listening to his show more than any of the other local talk shows combined. But yeah, if you go in expecting accurate insider info all the time you'll be disappointed.

I absolutely love Coach Wells. He demands perfection and is always on his guys to be better. Every time I watch these videos, he stands out. I really hope it pays big dividends this year.

That's exactly right, the offensive line must be much more physical this season. They must block better, and protect the QB much, much better. Josh Dobbs is no longer available to bail them out with scrambling away from the rush.

Dormady will bail them out with quick decision making and a quick release, kinda like tyler bray used to do. Guys who know where to go with the ball and have the arm strength to get it there don't get sacked very often.

The reports on the OL continue to leave me bewildered... 😳

IF our OL is not vastly improved then you can bank on 8-4 being our ceiling this year.

Someone get me an OLINE RIGHT NOW. For the love of all that is holy.

Is it illegal to hire mercinaries to fill in at OLINE?

Keep reading and hearing on radio shows lots of concerns that we will be down several bodies for Tech in oline.
Of course, Halls out for year.
Are there two others that won't be fully ready to play with injuries along with (MAYBE,POSSIBLY,DEPENDING UPON WHO YOU BELIEVE that spreads the gossip) two more that may be out on suspension?

Is there anybody who REALLY has inside info on these SUPPOSED injuries and suspensions that can tell us which 5 we can expect to start against Tech.
And/or if you do know but it's double knot spy secret stuff not to alert Tech, that's cool too. :crazy:

Keep reading and hearing on radio shows lots of concerns that we will be down several bodies for Tech in oline.
Of course, Halls out for year.
Are there two others that won't be fully ready to play with injuries along with (MAYBE,POSSIBLY,DEPENDING UPON WHO YOU BELIEVE that spreads the gossip) two more that may be out on suspension?

Is there anybody who REALLY has inside info on these SUPPOSED injuries and suspensions that can tell us which 5 we can expect to start against Tech.
And/or if you do know but it's double knot spy secret stuff not to alert Tech, that's cool too. :crazy:

We need more then 5 my friend and that is the problem. If we go out there with 5 guys total and half are freshmen ... forfeit the season, see you next year. For crying out loud. My kingdom for an OLINE.

We need more then 5 my friend and that is the problem. If we go out there with 5 guys total and half are freshmen ... forfeit the season, see you next year. For crying out loud. My kingdom for an OLINE.

I think I saw someone say that we have 8 scholarship healthy/non suspended oline bodies avail for Tech.
But, they wouldn't name those 8 or which 5 of those 8 will start in opener.
Very frustrating.
But, I guess the good news is that it must somewhat frustrate Techs dline and Dcoord not knowing either.

Well, kinda sounds like you ARE panicking, because we know some of our OL vets have been banged up with some minor injuries, and we have the luxury of practicing some talented young guys who have benefitted from the extra reps and looks.

It will soon be settling down into the main guys we are gonna go with, and we'll quit experimenting as much and start giving them more time to jell as a unit.

Every team has some injuries in their OL, including GA, GTECH, and LSU has been more than decimated by their losses.

I hope your right and I expect the O-Line to be good, but I will say it is time now to get a group in there and let them get in synch. I get switching people around to prepare for things if you have a injury or something but we need to work on continuity at this point. GBO!!!!!

I'll take a stab at the starting OL assuming no suspensions or additional injuries:

RT- Kendrick
RG- Smith
C- Robertson
LG- Boulware
LT- Richmond

I think the next 3 up will be Tatum, Jones, and Thomas. All three will play in the starting rotation. Honestly, I didn't expect Jones to be fighting for a position at this point... I thought he'd be an established starter but it seems as if others have caught and passed him.

The biggest question in my mind is who is next up at LT if Richmond misses time.

If they haven't, they need to choose and start working with their top 7 or 8 OL's this week. If guys aren't ready due to injury then you just have to incorporate them later. They may not get a primary role vs GT.

By watching the plays they ran.... and particularly how smoothly they ran them.

Are you going to claim that Dormady doesn't have a better grasp on the O than JG? Writers and coaches HAVE said that.

No. Just watching for the indicators. I don't have a horse in this race. My only hope is that they determine who the right guy is and start him. I love the talent JG has demonstrated. I think a lot of you underestimate QD's talent.

You seem to be pulling for JG and that's fine. I'm just trying to watch and listen at this point and figure who I believe the race is tilted to.

JG had a whole summer to study, work, and improve. But QD was clearly in sync with and control of the offensive scheme in the spring game. JG was still fighting it.

Wouldn't be the first time that was the message to make sure everyone kept working. In fact, it has happened every single year since I've been on this board at one position or another.

If a driver has a 5 second lead at Pocono with 10 laps left... he hasn't won the race yet. But the guy in 2nd has to catch some breaks and do some work.

You can believe what you like. You can pull for one guy over the other. But Dormady was ahead leaving the spring and it wasn't terribly close. Jones has said that QD was "consistent" this fall. Consistent with what he did in the spring game... makes him the starter.

JG was fighting what? He was 4/5 and looked great before the game was called. He looked great in the spring and this fall. They both have. JG has gotten praise every time that QD has. Yes QD will probably start the first game. You are wrong about every thing else like usual when it comes to qbs. You are the guy that says Worley is a better passer than Dobbs. You obviously pick a qb when there are two and just make up anything to make your favorite look better and downplay the other. I'm not pulling for either. QD has shown that he has the potential to be a good qb and has a little more experience. JG also has shown potential and is said to have more upside.

Jones has praised both equally and will play both. If there was some lead at all QD would be the unquestioned starter. Butch is on the hotseat. Do you really think he is so stupid to risk playing two guys and all that could go wrong with that if Dormady really had a lead in play so far? Butch isn't that stupid. The practice reports say they both look good to great. Butch says they are close. The other coaches say they are close. :hi:

I'll take a stab at the starting OL assuming no suspensions or additional injuries:

RT- Kendrick
RG- Smith
C- Robertson
LG- Boulware
LT- Richmond

I think the next 3 up will be Tatum, Jones, and Thomas. All three will play in the starting rotation. Honestly, I didn't expect Jones to be fighting for a position at this point... I thought he'd be an established starter but it seems as if others have caught and passed him.

The biggest question in my mind is who is next up at LT if Richmond misses time.

Subtract 2 of these guys, possibly three. I see Tatum starting at that point, who else?

VN Store

Back