Redemption for Jalen Hurd

The last I heard, he hadn't signed with an agent and hadn't requested a release to go to any particular destination. I know that some will roast me for this but it's cool. A group of friends were discussing where he might possibly go in the upcoming draft (if at all) and this thought came to me. The best possible situation for him at this point is to go to CBJ and the team and apologize, and beg to be given another chance. He needs to explain that he let some people get in his head and that he made a huge mistake. He also needs to let it be known that he will do whatever it takes to earn the trust of his teammates and coaches, as well as show a willingness to do whatever he can for the benefit of the TEAM. If he came back for his senior year and played inspired, unselfish football, splitting carries as John Kelly's back up, he could redeem himself in the eyes of his team, most of Volnation, and NFL GM's. He would also still become UT's career rushing leader. Flame away.

Nah, the offense was better without him.

Reactions: 7 people
The problem with your theory OP, is that Hurd really isn't that good. I don't care what offensive system you play in, 3.7 yards per carry is terrible on the college level.

Reactions: 8 people
No way, no how. Ship sailed, hit the 'berg and sank. Need to turn the page and focus on the kids coming back/in. Hurd if a free man to do what he and his family consider best for their future. No way Butch or even fans should entertain the thought of bringing him back.

Reactions: 5 people
The last I heard, he hadn't signed with an agent and hadn't requested a release to go to any particular destination. I know that some will roast me for this but it's cool. A group of friends were discussing where he might possibly go in the upcoming draft (if at all) and this thought came to me. The best possible situation for him at this point is to go to CBJ and the team and apologize, and beg to be given another chance. He needs to explain that he let some people get in his head and that he made a huge mistake. He also needs to let it be known that he will do whatever it takes to earn the trust of his teammates and coaches, as well as show a willingness to do whatever he can for the benefit of the TEAM. If he came back for his senior year and played inspired, unselfish football, splitting carries as John Kelly's back up, he could redeem himself in the eyes of his team, most of Volnation, and NFL GM's. He would also still become UT's career rushing leader. Flame away.

Hey Bud..got a match? Oh, can I also borrow some gas?
:good!:

He probably would fit in better with the team he has rejected and then went back to than a new team altogether. (But, it would take time and serious, sincere effort). I'm surprised we haven't heard some news of him from his former teammates. Surely, some are still friends with him.

No thanks.

He walked out, quit on us and is done with us.

That was his right.

I'm done with him no matter if he begs, pleads or anything else.

He's a QFL now, Quitter For Life.

I was warned about him and how he would act during his Senior year of high school but I didn't want to believe it from 1 of his own classmates.

He's gone, get over it and move forward.

Just like this past season, it's over so get over it and move forward.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 4 people
The best thing for Hurd would be for him to come back and ask for another shot and to be told NO. He might learn from that. Otherwise he'd probably not change much if any at all. Possibly what actually DID happen. If so, good.

So there is no actual redemption? Just an idea of adding him back to an offense that seemed to do better without him?

5d1a8b845abd978cca140a1bf71b5524d1e7de442442537481bb22049d2a6d9e.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
How do we know he hasn't signed with an agent or done anything else? No news doesn't mean no actions.

I can't believe any of you would be good with this. Same kind of people that are okay with stealing as long as you don't get caught

Reactions: 1 person
My inside sources say he will either take a redshirt year and try to play some unknown position at another Power 5 school for a year
OR
Go to FCS school and play immediately.

He will not be playing football for THE University of Tennessee.

Here's the 64 dollar question. Is he enrolled at any school to continue his education?

As far as the team welcoming him back, I'm sure 99 of 100 of this generation probably would.

I agree, that would be the best for him...but not the best for the team. Once you quit on your brothers, there's no going back.

Correct. It is not about Jalen Hurd any longer at UT. Granted CBJ nor the program trashed the young man, but the young man's surrogates on social trashed the program and he needs to reap what he sowed. Tough lesson but one he will learn IMO. No one in the NFL understands what or why. Do you as an agent want to promote a guy who says he doesn't want to be a RB any longer but a TE?

One option is to take a year off, work out, and go to another top school for a year before going pro. I really don't know why he would have liked that option, but good luck to him. I would hate to have to think to myself the rest of my life "dude, you could have been the best running back in history at Tennessee"

Will never happen and wishful thinking. You are going to bench kids you recruited and have been in your program for a guy to walk in for one year at TE no less, a position he's never played or practiced for, so he can get to the NFL?!? I can think of no quicker way to lose your entire locker room's respect as a coach IMO.

Note to self. If I ever get real close to legend status at UT. Pay no attention to the wit and wisdom of my helpful uncles.

The problem with your theory OP, is that Hurd really isn't that good. I don't care what offensive system you play in, 3.7 yards per carry is terrible on the college level.

WTH?!?! It's not great but it for %$@ sure is not "terrible." It's a money RB, Hurd was that, but he was not an elite guy as compared to his peers and when he did play, give the devil his due, he was not terrible.

Man I love how everyone is instantly ready to not give him a second chance. This isn't the NFL, these aren't 30 year old grown men. Their still young and immature, and if it takes him quitting on his team and loosing everything to grow up, then I think he could still be an asset to our program. It shows a lot of maturity to to admit when your wrong, and to take the hard steps to fix those bridges. I think if he wanted back, it would take the team and CBJ to just his intent and to judge his heart.

I hope for his sake he goes this route. Even if he comes back, I would like to see the only way the team lets him is to make him redshirt next year. Spend a year on scout and earn his way back. To me that is payment for quitting on your team.

That is a crazy idea, but it might just work for both parties. Hurd would have to earn trust all spring and fall. It would be great to have a rb of his caliber back.

If this was a rumor coming from people around Hurd, I might think about the possibilities. But just a group of friends saying, "What if?" No offense, but I am not getting invested in a random fantasy by well meaning fans.

If he wanted to do this, we would have had to come forward before now. Coaches went back on the road today to recruit, and the scholarship spot Hurd gave up will go to an incoming freshman if they fill the roster, or to one of the senior walk on guys who have earned it by never quitting.

Hurd wants to come back, let him walk on. Let those knuckleheads who got in his ear foot the bill.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back