Redemption for Jalen Hurd

That is a crazy idea, but it might just work for both parties. Hurd would have to earn trust all spring and fall. It would be great to have a rb of his caliber back.

John Kelly earned the right to be on top of the depth chart. Do you honestly think players would stick around for a quitter to be put back on the team and get the reps he gave up? Honestly, Jalen wouldn't come back unless he was on the top of the depth chart.

Reactions: 1 person
He is a kid. If he realizes he made mistake and apologizes to his teammates, I don't think it would be an issue an long as his teammates forgive him. Kids make mistakes, we all did as kids.

Man I love how everyone is instantly ready to not give him a second chance. This isn't the NFL, these aren't 30 year old grown men. Their still young and immature, and if it takes him quitting on his team and loosing everything to grow up, then I think he could still be an asset to our program. It shows a lot of maturity to to admit when your wrong, and to take the hard steps to fix those bridges. I think if he wanted back, it would take the team and CBJ to just his intent and to judge his heart.

I hope for his sake he goes this route. Even if he comes back, I would like to see the only way the team lets him is to make him redshirt next year. Spend a year on scout and earn his way back. To me that is payment for quitting on your team.

I don't think many people disagree with second chances, they just don't always have to be in the same place. Why would you take a scholarship away from someone and give to someone who quit your team? If you work for me and steal from my store and I fire you, I'm not against you getting a second chance just not at my story. As an old country song once said, you quit once and you will be a quitter for the rest of your life.

I heard he mom challenged CBJ to a brawl on the practice field if he doesn't take him back. :bash:

If this was a rumor coming from people around Hurd, I might think about the possibilities.

Hurd wants to come back, let him walk on. Let those knuckleheads who got in his ear foot the bill.

I know one in particular that has not mentioned anything about this. The last I heard from him (2 or 3 weeks ago) Jalen was training and that the thought was he would enter the draft.

I think it was one "Knucklehead" in particular.

Hurd tweet in response to SEC FOOTBALL twitter account, early December ....

@SECfootball "still transferring" was said to inform people that I indeed plan to transfer bc your article said otherwise

WTH?!?! It's not great but it for %$@ sure is not "terrible." It's a money RB, Hurd was that, but he was not an elite guy as compared to his peers and when he did play, give the devil his due, he was not terrible.

Trust me, it's terrible. His 3.7 average was worst in the league for RBs. The next closest to him was 4.3 yds per carry.

he has until the 16th to decide about the draft i believe, i havent heard a peep about him since he left the team.....

Agreed, it would be awesome if Hurd asked for forgiveness from is team and coach, came back to play next year, and gave his all on every play.

WTH?!?! It's not great but it for %$@ sure is not "terrible." It's a money RB, Hurd was that, but he was not an elite guy as compared to his peers and when he did play, give the devil his due, he was not terrible.

3.7 is horrifically bad. Especially when the other running backs on the team, all of which were behind him on the depth chart, averaged a combined 6.1 yards per carry with approximately 200 carries.

Reactions: 2 people
Not letting him back on the team wouldn't be "not giving him a second chance" it would be teaching him a lesson IMO. Sometimes in life you make a poor decision and you have to live with the negative consequences of this poor decision. Life doesn't always offer second chances to correct things. Sometimes you just have to take the negatives and learn from them and fix it to become better in the future. I wish Jalen the best of luck in the future and thank him for his two and a half years here, but there have been too many bridges burned here.

Reactions: 4 people
Hurd didn't quit before spring ball or during summer workouts. He quit in middle of the season, in middle of games. There is a huge difference. I don't think the players would want him back so that he could set an individual record. And I figure CBJ wouldn't consider bringing it to a team vote. You don't go back over rough ground you've already covered.

Reactions: 3 people
Not happening.. Pretty sure both camps have moved on. If not, they should have by now.

Why would UT want him back?

I don't ask that because he quit or because he was a problem in the locker room. I ask that because he's not very good. Is UT in desperate need of a plodding running back who runs for less than 3 yards on 60% of his carries?

The problem with your theory OP, is that Hurd really isn't that good. I don't care what offensive system you play in, 3.7 yards per carry is terrible on the college level.

It wasn't bad when you consider the OL. I was watching how the kid played not his stats, and he pushed back a lot of players to get that 3.7 yards per carry.

John Kelly earned the right to be on top of the depth chart. Do you honestly think players would stick around for a quitter to be put back on the team and get the reps he gave up? Honestly, Jalen wouldn't come back unless he was on the top of the depth chart.

Why wouldn't he come back and play #1 h-back? That's his best shot at the NFL. I'd love him back. I highly doubt he'd be more trouble and you can always have him on a short leash.

The idea that Butch couldn't possibly manage him to our benefit is a vote of no confidence for Butch. The past is the past.

It wasn't bad when you consider the OL. I was watching how the kid played not his stats, and he pushed back a lot of players to get that 3.7 yards per carry.

It was horrible no matter how you look at it. 4.5 was bad enough, 3.7 is incompetent, especially in comparison to what Kelly and Kamara did behind the same OL once they got their chances.

Why would UT want him back?

I don't ask that because he quit or because he was a problem in the locker room. I ask that because he's not very good. Is UT in desperate need of a plodding running back who runs for less than 3 yards on 60% of his carries?

Bc he'd be the best h-back in the SEC

VN Store

Back