Rock Gullickson will not be part JP coaching staff per Austin price

I think that good nutrition is one of the keys to on-field performance. Bigger and better players, however, are most important. Put the two together with his coaching staff and it should be smooth sailing.

The juice bar story, assuming it is being accurately told by Clay Travis, really does say something about the man. He was a salesman at heart.

Having said that, going on and on about a juice bar or talking about Champions of Life or 5-star hearts isn't even a story if he won more.

Case in point: the video below is of Alabama's S&C Coach Scott Cochran. He's giving a tour of their weight room, just like Butch was doing. Now I get it that Cochran is just the S&C guy and not the HC. But he comes off as certifiably insane and/or under the influence of drugs in this video. I mean, who talks like this? Who tucks a polo shirt in with sweatpants? However, he's thought of as some kind of folk hero and lovable figure, especially among Bammers. Why? Because he's on a winning team. No more, no less. If you are going to act like that, you better win.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fquDTF09bk[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I'm still trying to figure out how all these people were pretty dang good at their jobs prior to coming to UT, but failed big time when they were hired. Shoop, Rock, etc.

Well, it would probably be a big disappointment to move all the way to Knoxvile only to discover it's not still "The Streaking Capital of the World!".

Do we really know who is on the new coaching staff? SDS reports Weinke may go to FSU or elsewhere. No updates on UT web site. Is there a time scheduled for the new staff to be introduced?

I'm going to say that yes it is...no offense to Rock, he seems like a great guy and a good S&C coach.

Just doesn't seem to mold guys into the image that CJP is after. Rock seems to be more leaned toward the faster, more agile conditioning. Whereas it looks like Pruitt is wanting the bigger, stand up and nail you in the mouth type player.

Hopefully he can get his guy and that guy sticks around for more than a season or two...that has been a problem in the past.

Rock had been here less than a year. What did you expect? Shake and Bake?

Rock had been here less than a year. What did you expect? Shake and Bake?

Yep. Many on here obviously dont understand how a S&C program works. If its not a complete turn around in year 1, then time to fire. I think many are just assuming Rock sucks because Butch hired him. Thats a sad way to think imo.

Reactions: 1 person
Two words, Butch Jones. He was a cancer to everyone around him.

Yes, the most telling indictment I heard about Butch was that before this last season was the first time that Butch finally allowed his team to run 7 on 7 drills in the offseason. He had previously banned 7 on 7 in the offseason because of injury concerns. No wonder our DBs couldn't cover anybody and our passing game was so poor! We might have been the only power 5 school with such a ban.

I posted this in another thread but this is probably a better place for it:

I’ve heard from someone knowledgeable on the situation that Butch started meddling quite a bit in Rock’s S&C program. Apparently, Butch would change some of the workouts around as he didn’t agree with all of Rock’s ideas. Apparently, it made Rock pretty mad too and created a lot of tension between the two. I heard this from a grad assistant at UT that my sister dates.

I heard Rock probably wouldn’t be back but was waiting until it was official to post this.

Reactions: 2 people
Wonder if he will go after Mark Hocke from Bama? Kirby got ride of him after one season at GA.

JP has every right to put in that position who he wants but another S&C coach at Tennessee? Whats that something like 10 in the last 9 yrs?

Rock was in the NFL when Pruitt was learning to drive. I think he knows alittle about what it takes in that league.

I always like the bashing that goes on about S&C’s.

I'm surprised ADs haven't gone for a more comprehensive S&C program bringing it under one umbrella for all sports and then breaking out football in a dotted line report to the HC of football.

With Rock you left out the brittle part........our kids seemed to be made of clay this past few years.

He was only S&C coach for one year. He was in the NFL for years with 3 different teams and won Strength Coach of the year. Not the guy to be taking shots at. He was in a no win situation.

Reactions: 3 people
Well strength and conditioning is arguably the most important coach on the team under the head coach. You wouldn't expect Pruitt to keep an OC or DC from the previous staff especially if the results were lackluster.

As much as I didn't like Butch as our coach this past year...I think it's a shame that he leaves with such a bad legacy. Imo he DID give his all for this university..and it's just unfortunate he leaves with such a horrible rep of failure. I remember the video where someone from a dorm was playing "Sweet Home Alabama" and he got all mad and demanded they turn it off. It was stuff like that that endeared me a bit to him. Leading the band in Rocky Top after a big win...stuff like that. On the other hand i'm resentful of him choking away 3 of the 4 Florida games...and the Oklahoma game...the Bama game 3 years ago etc etc.

He did do some good things..but it coulda been sooooo much better. He just wasn't good enough.

That Sweet Home Alabama video was fake, it was a scripted video meant to induce coach worship...which it did. #neveragain

Wonder if he will go after Mark Hocke from Bama? Kirby got ride of him after one season at GA.

I believe he was let go when Kirby took the job, Hocke was on UGA staff only one year (Mark Richt’s last year)

Still odd.

I'm still trying to figure out how all these people were pretty dang good at their jobs prior to coming to UT, but failed big time when they were hired. Shoop, Rock, etc.

Jones had the reverse Midas touch...Everything or Everyone he touches turns to crap...

He was only S&C coach for one year. He was in the NFL for years with 3 different teams and won Strength Coach of the year. Not the guy to be taking shots at. He was in a no win situation.

I agree...I hate it for him.

Can't expect for him to have S&C turned around in one year.

They were all "Lyled.' Could be a new word for being jinxed in Vol football jargon.

VN Store

Back