Sad reality

I know Butch was a mid level coach but was hoping he would grow into a top level coach.This year was a step backward but if can pull a great season next all will be forgotten and forgiven.

Reactions: 1 person
I know Butch was a mid level coach but was hoping he would grow into a top level coach.This year was a step backward but if can pull a great season next all will be forgotten and forgiven.

Oh good grief. Butch is what he is. He was (at Cincy) what he is. You sound like a girl who thinks she can change a guy. There is no plausible reason to believe he gets it done and wins 10 or something next season. None.

Lol. They've won plenty before he arrived, they'll win plenty after.

They are at a different level on offense than they were before he got there. They were winning with defense and special teams. Now they are just destroying good teams by 40.

The fans want championships. We are starved for it per Herbstreet.

The University of Tennessee would "like" to win championships but it's not a priority.

Look at the last hire. We went the cheap route. And gave a huge buyout to get the "cheap" guy so he'd take the job.

I really hope that CBJ can turn this around and win (which I doubt seriously) because I have zero confidence in my university to hire his replacement.
And here's more good news.
I think the standard for the fans is "win the east" next year. I think the standard for the university is less than that.

Someone convince me that I'm wrong.

Which championship coach would you have chosen instead in 2013?

I could live with losing to Alabama, everyone else has. Maybe even Texas A&M, heck we turned the ball over seven times and STILL had a chance to win the game. South Carolina and Vandy are squarely on the backs of the coaching staff. Some people say you shouldnt make negative comments because of the players. I think OUR PLAYERS deserve better than what they are getting from this coaching staff. Josh Dobbs has represented this university with a level of class and heart that hasnt been seen in a long time. He played his heart out, was the ultimate student and an outstanding ambassador for the program and the fans. I hate to see the young man go but wish him well. The coaching staff, just need to go period.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Didn't they hire Butch because their top 3 targets, Gruden, Strong and whoever else turned them down first? Nobody wanted to come here

I disagree with this. Nobody knows exactly who Hart had on his list or who all he seriously interviewed. IMO, Hart didnt really do his due diligence and went with Butch because he knew him and Butch knew Tennessee was an upgrade to Cincy.

Reactions: 2 people
I thought this was a moan -n- groan, woe is UT thread.

Seriously though, our top potential season is 11-2 no matter who coaches. Be great compared to what we have. But let's stop deluding ourselves that we can win any championship with Saban in the conference.

12-2 right?

I disagree with this. Nobody knows exactly who Hart had on his list or who all he seriously interviewed. IMO, Hart didnt really do his due diligence and went with Butch because he knew him and Butch knew Tennessee was an upgrade to Cincy.

Hart really has done a shameful job on almost every hire, IMO.

Which championship coach would you have chosen instead in 2013?

Clearly I shouldn't be picking the coaches as I wanted Strong.

And that's not the point.
To get a Kelly type you're going to have to pay for it and I don't think it's in our business model.

LOL. No it wont. Its Saban's system. The next OC will just be the next guy to call plays in his system.

Defensively yes.
Kiffin is and has gone away from what Bama did in Sabans early championships which was sledgehammer running and defense.

Doesn't mean the next OC won't be successful with great players but Kiffin has made them explosive with a FR QB.

People here don't like him for obvious reason but he can coach offense and QBs as well as anybody.

Reactions: 4 people
Even though Im salty about Bama/Saban, my point is we (ut) may be better off having a steward who runs a tight ship, keeps kids in line, does well with APR, and recruits decently.

We arent gomna compete with Bama. Love to compete. It just isnt realistic right now.

Hart really has done a shameful job on almost every hire, IMO.
Not Bama Dave. Truly it's more than just him. We have some out of touch elites up there, bean counters that are satisfied with participation trophies and Life Championships. That is until the attendance slips. Which looking at the schedule and what we have returning, shouldn't be too long into the 2017 season before that happens. More cliches and youth excuses to come.. Maybe we can slip a bamboo reference or two in there to calm everyone down.

If UT had gone 10-1 and won the east, Butch could sell recruits that they are who he needs to take the next step. He legitimately had that opportunity and let it slip. Injuries? OK, whatever. Those type of crossroads only come around every so often.

Who cares about winning the east only to be thrashed by the Crimson Turd. Until Saban retires, the head coach of UT is inconsequential.

We were so far in the dumpster a few years ago, that we wanted to see progress and improvement.
We have made progress. Recruiting classes are better. Becoming bowl eligible is a yearly occurrence. WInning the bowl game is a yearly occurrence. The next step is for us to represent the East in the SECCG.
Once in the SECCG, our next goal would be to win the SECCG and make the play offs.
One step at a time. So, yes, the SEC East is an important goal..............

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back