Sad reality

Defensively yes.
Kiffin is and has gone away from what Bama did in Sabans early championships which was sledgehammer running and defense.

Doesn't mean the next OC won't be successful with great players but Kiffin has made them explosive with a FR QB.

People here don't like him for obvious reason but he can coach offense and QBs as well as anybody.

How do you know Saban didnt change his offensive philosophy?

Last edited:
Not Bama Dave. Truly it's more than just him. We have some out of touch elites up there, bean counters that are satisfied with participation trophies and Life Championships. That is until the attendance slips. Which looking at the schedule and what we have returning, shouldn't be too long into the 2017 season before that happens. More cliches and youth excuses to come.. Maybe we can slip a bamboo reference or two in there to calm everyone down.

Maybe with a new chancellor and AD, things will change for the better. We can only hope.

Also, still making fun of the Life Championships comment is just dumb.

Not Bama Dave. Truly it's more than just him. We have some out of touch elites up there, bean counters that are satisfied with participation trophies and Life Championships. That is until the attendance slips. Which looking at the schedule and what we have returning, shouldn't be too long into the 2017 season before that happens. More cliches and youth excuses to come.. Maybe we can slip a bamboo reference or two in there to calm everyone down.

Hell, Hart didn't even do a search for a replacement for Pat. He kept Holly and that looks to be a mistake, at this point.
At the time, bUTch looked to be a good hire. He came with good reviews from other coaches. He was on Colorado & Purdue's list to replace their fired coaches and he took the Tennessee job. If a coach is being seriously considered for coaching jobs at other universities, then that leaves one to think he is a hot commodity. bUtch may turn out to be a good hire in the end. He slipped this season, but he may unexpectedly bounce back in a big way next season.
He messed up on the Donnie Tyndall hire. They should have done more investigating on the Southern Miss situation.

Reactions: 2 people
We were so far in the dumpster a few years ago, that we wanted to see progress and improvement.
We have made progress. Recruiting classes are better. Becoming bowl eligible is a yearly occurrence. WInning the bowl game is a yearly occurrence. The next step is for us to represent the East in the SECCG.
Once in the SECCG, our next goal would be to win the SECCG and make the play offs.
One step at a time. So, yes, the SEC East is an important goal..............

I would LIKE to see us play in the SEC CG. The offseason is brutally long. That extra game would be a treat.

Better to play in it and lose or better to miss it and avoid the addional L?

I can assure you that boosters know what a failure this season was.

Even though Im salty about Bama/Saban, my point is we (ut) may be better off having a steward who runs a tight ship, keeps kids in line, does well with APR, and recruits decently.

We arent gomna compete with Bama. Love to compete. It just isnt realistic right now.

Wow...do you not remember almost beating them last year!??

Not saying we could do that consistently but you act like it's comparable to taming a unicorn to race a leprechaun up a rainbow.

Saban is going to be there for a while, the loser mentality has to be left behind. Tennessee needs to use Alabamas blue print, use Peyton, Fulmer and a few more football guys to pinpoint a long term guy and do what ever it takes to get him. I believe Peyton is a great liaison and should be a big part of any coaching search.

Reactions: 1 person
Saban is going to be there for a while, the loser mentality has to be left behind. Tennessee needs to use Alabamas blue print, use Peyton, Fulmer and a few more football guys to pinpoint a long term guy and do what ever it takes to get him. I believe Peyton is a great liaison and should be a big part of any coaching search.

What in our history makes you think there's any chance we (UT) will ever take the "whatever it takes " mentality

What in our history makes you think there's any chance we (UT) will ever take the "whatever it takes " mentality

We do qhatever it takes ro set up unnecessary hurdles in ourathletic programs. Thats a start, right?

The administration should be embarrassed by the conditions of athletics in general, football is the cash cow. It's time for UT to take responsibility to provide the very best option out there! There are people within the family that know what it takes to play for championships. Need to swallow their pride and ask people who know and stop pretending to know more than a top five NFL QB of all time. Let him help!!

Even though Im salty about Bama/Saban, my point is we (ut) may be better off having a steward who runs a tight ship, keeps kids in line, does well with APR, and recruits decently.

We arent gomna compete with Bama. Love to compete. It just isnt realistic right now.

You have a point on the current and winning the SEC. But Jones is not the guy to clean up after he's gone. For that matter he can't clean up against the poor division he's in.

You can have the steward.

I disagree with this. Nobody knows exactly who Hart had on his list or who all he seriously interviewed. IMO, Hart didnt really do his due diligence and went with Butch because he knew him and Butch knew Tennessee was an upgrade to Cincy.

I just asked the question

This is all I'm trying to say.
Oh i've been on these people's ass since the early 2000's. There was a disconnect back then, just about the time Dickey retired. It hasn't got any better since. There are different views up there now as in how to run the AD department ..Their way hasn't worked worth a shat.. Proof is in the pudding, the pudding is moldy...

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back