"SC Wins Tomorrow" - Tony Morrell

I miss Ol Phil this time of year. Missing the great pumpkin.

You miss a guy who kicked your sorry asses 14 out of 16 years? Brilliant.

Of course, given how pathetic your program is now and has historically been, you're likely "missing" all kinds of coaches from years gone by.

Reactions: 1 person
A lot of idiocy in this post along with Tony Morrell. At no point in this thread has logic or realities been applied.

It's generally a waste of time to respond to posters who lead with statements like this, but what the heck... it's a slow day and you've provided enough material here to make this interesting.

To start, ad hominem attacks and generalizations like the bolded ones above are why some avoid the FF.

The reality is that UT played a very tough, physical four game stretch that UT hasn't played in several years without an off date. The other reality is we were missing a lot of really good players

Both valid points, neither of which were "not applied" in my original statements. Of course, we played a tough schedule and were missing players. But, we got humiliated at home by AL. How the team recovers from that is a valid question, whether you think it is, or not.

but for some odd reason many on this board seem to think that we should have been able to overcome those injuries against a team that UT couldn't beat even if everyone were healthy much less several key injuries.

Two parts to this... addressing the first statement: obviously the difficulty of overcoming the injuries is glaring, especially against a team like AL.

That said, your bolded statement is just cowardly garbage. When healthy, this team should be able to beat anyone, on any given day. Even with the injuries, this team has a lot of talent, and a good scheme, play calling, and execution gives this level of talent the opportunity (at home!) to beat a true freshman quarterback. The notion that we "couldn't even beat" AL "even if everyone were healthy" is pathetic. Thank God you're not coaching UT.

Another reality is that SC has beaten absolutely no one of consequence and hasn't scored more than two touchdowns against a single SEC opponent including such defensive powerhouses as Kentucky, Mississippi State, Georgia, and Texas A % M. The other reality is that SC only beat 1-7 UMass because they turned the ball over 4 times something SC fans conveniently forget. Has UT played some close games? Yep, but they have also proven that they can score against just about any team not named Alabama including over 700 yards against A & M, and nearly 40 points against UF.

File all of this under: "Do we have the talent to embarrass them? Yes."

As far as the whole "Muschamp is in Butch's head" nonsense, those UF teams were loaded with talent on defense despite the excuses made by SC fans. Should UT have won last year? Yep but not the previous two meetings,

Both the 2013 and 2014 games against Muschamp's FL teams were replete with crappy playcalling on both sides of the ball, bad clock management by Jones, not to mention back-up quarterbacks who came in and embarrassed us. That 10-9 game was atrocious, and we should not have lost it.

But, just for fun let's assume you're right and that, on paper, we should have lost those two years. Now we're back to your "we can't beat more talented teams" complex. AL lost to A&M in 2012, Sumlin's first season, in Tuscaloosa. They lost to Auburn and OK in 2013 (Malzahn's first season). They lost to Ole Miss in 2014, etc... Teams with superior talent are not unbeatable.

many UT coaches wet the bed against UF including CPF and Majors. It had more to do with the name on their jersey than the moron coaching them. To say that UT had any where near the talent UF had in 13' or 14' and CBJ just got out-coached is laughable.

Okay... the fact is that Jones has never beaten Muschamp. Should he this year? Absolutely. I suppose we'll agree to disagree about this talent chasm you reference between the two teams in '13 and '14.

UT is superior to SC at nearly every measurable category including coaching and winning at SC isn't the obstacle that most home stadiums present including a much more talented Spurrier coached team in 14'. Even the moron CDD had every chance to win there with a terrible 12' team. I guess if they want to hang their hats on beating a waining 08' CPF team and a couple of moron led Dooley teams then more power to them but when UT has had the superior team UT has won. This year will be no different. Those SC teams that beat terrible UT teams were much more talented and better coached than the current SC team ever dreamed it is. The 2010 and 2012 SC teams won 9 and 11 games respectively.

None of this has any bearing on my original comments. Although I see you are enamored with name-calling. Perhaps this was a waste of time responding to you after all. Oh well...

Last edited:
Yes, I understand we have had injuries, but for sheer perspective on strength of schedule and where we stand versus them so far this season:

SC's Opponents this far are a combined 23-28 and they are 3-4 coming out of a stretch that would likely see us at 6-1 or maybe 7-0.

We have managed to go 5-2 through a stretch of teams that are currently a combined 38-12.

I know the transitive property doesn't apply in these situations, but objectively USC would be possibly 2-5, maybe 0-7 with our schedule at this point. There is no question that we are the better team, and if we lose it will be very telling of where we stand.

By that rational Spurrier owned us too... Till he went to USC. History repeating itself my friends.

You miss a guy who kicked your sorry asses 14 out of 16 years? Brilliant.

Of course, given how pathetic your program is now and has historically been, you're likely "missing" all kinds of coaches from years gone by.

Savage

So we're getting most of our players back, the team is as rested as they're going to get this late in the season and the coaches have had a bye week to gameplan against a team with a FR QB that won't even make a bowl-- and people are predicting the Vols to lose?

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Vols have to come back from behind, though.

I think the team SC meets will be different than the team Ala met. With so many returning starters playing in a hostile environment, I think you'll see a determination not seen since the 2nd halves of UF and UGA.

A few different offensive sets wouldn't hurt either - nor some blitz packages not seen much (or at all) this year.
Let's do not get slap happy on the blitz package for this game . South Carolina will not put that young man and I position very often to get sacked it's just not going to happen. Let's play solid defense rush off the edge and see what happens.

South Carolina has been a close game for years. The largest margin of victory most recently was in 2011 when we lost 14-3. People may remember this game is when Da'Rick Rogers earned the nickname Darop' Rogers for dropping an easy TD pass. 2012 - 2015 were one possession games won in the last few seconds by a big play. I expect this to be another close game.

We could play with same guys that played against Alabama, next day after the Alabama game and also rest Dobbs ..still i would have hard time believing SC beats us !!

Yeah I bet OSU thought the same thing about Penn State. Houston probably felt the same way about SMU.

Do the Vols have talent to embarrass SC, probably not, but should have enough talent to win a very close game.
Being an SEC road game, the Vols had better come to play or they will get beat by a more determined SC squad......how much do the Vols want this game?

I hope this was sarcasm but it's not in blue so...we don't have the talent to embarrass sc? Wow. How many 4/5* players do we need? We literally have 10-15 future nfl players in this team. We should destroy a team like sc. But we won't. We needed a missed extra point to beat app state. Why are we unwilling to state the obvious? We are coached by one of the worst coaches in the entire ncaa.

TN wont lose. it will be close bc Muschamp is a great defensive coach, and we arent as good as media wants to bloat.

I know, I know... Who's Tony Morrell? SC's 247 writer.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on his thoughts, VN? I have two:

1) Muschamp has owned Butch. Some will say Florida has owned him... fair enough, but even Muschamp's crappy FL teams beat us.

2) This is all about recovery from AL, and focus on execution, in my opinion. We have several "easy to overlook" teams coming up, starting with SC, coached by a guy who just might be in Butch's head. Do we have the talent to embarrass them? Yes. This is a bigger game than it seems, IMO.

Five Keys to Victory - Tennessee

Butch Jones is 3-7 in revenge games vs. head coaches that have defeated him the year before while at UT:

Butch Jones eyes revenge against Will Muschamp

That's what I'll be watching to see as well. The kid seemed really emotional, wonder how he reacts if he throws some picks and take some shots. Hopefully be hearing Barnett behind him even when he's not on the field.
He better hope he hears him coming cause he is coming.....no doubt. Game shouldn't even be close but who knows. GO VOLS!!!:rock:

Vols win by 10-21 points.

They are rested
They are more healed
They are embarrassed
They are pizzed off
They are hungry!

VN Store

Back