Season Predictions?

This is the first time I have disagreed with the dog and cracked crystal ball's joint predictions. But since I'm outvoted, well..
Phantom and Cracked Crystal joined me for breakfast this morning. Both of them, at the same time, and, and, and they spoke to one another for the first time in months. I stayed out of it after the first two minutes as it became obvious I wasn't welcome in the discourse after I dared say the team would be 8-4. Pizzed them both off. Phantom growled and snapped at me. Cracked Crystal spat a glass splinter at my face. After forty minutes of deep discourse between the two, here's what came out of the breakfast meeting. Shirley's Texas omelet smothered in black pepper cashew gravy was delicious, as were her Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Biscuits. I took mine with Jamaican rum flavored coffee. The other thing that came out was the dog and ball's prediction, just remember I disagreed with them.
1712745931066.png

Vols will almost always be in the 7-5 to 9-3 range. Probably looking at 8-4 this year due to new QB (who is very talented), lack of proven depth at RB, continued problems in defensive backfield, and lack of quality depth at LB.

Reactions: Go47
Nico needs to gain some weight. If not, he has a good chance of getting injured during the SEC schedule the way he runs. He needs to weigh around 220-225 at his height.

Most SEC teams use their backup QB at some point during the season.

9 and 3 as the floor and if Nico catches on early, look out! And did I see someone say we’ll lose to Arky?? Not happening..

Last edited:
Reactions: VAVol85
Was happy to see I already made a season simulation a few months ago. Made a few small adjustments and the simulator spit out:

12-0: 1%
11-1 (Ceiling): 11%
10-2: 24%
9-3: 30%
8-4: 22%
7-5 (Floor): 10%
6-6: 2%

Floors and ceilings are clearly somewhat silly and arbitrary, but putting some definition to them gives some context at least. I use 5% odds as both. So the middle 90% (at least...97% in this case) is within the floor and up through the ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Go47
Was happy to see I already made a season simulation a few months ago. Made a few small adjustments and the simulator spit out:

12-0: 1%
11-1 (Ceiling): 11%
10-2: 24%
9-3: 30%
8-4: 22%
7-5 (Floor): 10%
6-6: 2%

Floors and ceilings are clearly somewhat silly and arbitrary, but putting some definition to them gives some context at least. I use 5% odds as both. So the middle 90% (at least...97% in this case) is withing the floor and up to the ceiling.
With the new 12 team playoff, I think the SEC will sneak in a 3 loss team.

If we figure half of all SEC 9-3 teams over time will get in, then this predicts a ~50% chance of UT making the playoffs this season. Not bad.

We will be good. Defense will lead the way early while Nico gets his feet under him. Offense will shine late in the season

This year will be the strongest the SEC has ever been. The addition of Texas and Oklahoma brings top notch competition to what has been the strongest Conference in the Nation for year. It is likely that no team will be unbeaten this Fall. I believe Tennessee can compete with all teams, but so can Georgia and probably Texas. I would really like to see the SEC and BIG Ten establish a two-three game per year schedule in the future. Non Conference games then would become much more exciting.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I’m still thinking 8-4. Bama, Georgia, Florida, Oklahoma being the losses
I asked Phantom and Cracked about this. They conferred and told me.

Bama is Sabanless, departures has ever so slightly diluted the team. Vols wrestle a victory out of them.
Florida, it's our year. Vols won't let it slip by, and will be in a vindictive mood.
Georgia, we lack a few horses, but this time make it a fight.
I'm just glad to see their feud and mutual silent treatment come to an end.

CrackedCrystalBall1.png Phantom.png

Even as good as most of us realize Nico is, I think a lot here are still going to be shocked at how brightly he sparks Heupel's attacking offense.

Consider this: he's an even better fit for the scheme than Hendon Hooker was.

Pair that with a defense significantly better than two years ago, and I think we're going to see a season that is even beyond 2022.

How does that translate to the Win column?

So 10-2 regular season? 11-1? Trip to Atlanta? Spot in the playoffs? I think any of that is realistically possible, yes.

This is gonna be fun.

Go Vols!
The capabilities SHOULD be there by mid season but I FEAR we might have some games impacted by learning curves at QB, DB’s individually and as a unit, and even WR reads against defenses other than our own. Some same page issues on both sides of the ball. If we avoid those life can be great.

The capabilities SHOULD be there by mid season but I FEAR we might have some games impacted by learning curves at QB, DB’s individually and as a unit, and even WR reads against defenses other than our own. Some same page issues on both sides of the ball. If we avoid those life can be great.
Again--I think you're gonna be shocked how ready Nico is to take the helm of a Power 5 team. I think he has learned a lot more already than many can possibly anticipate.

Watch for him to come out of the gates at a sprint.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Yeah it's way early, but with the talent we see now, O and D, I'm curious what others believe the floor and ceiling could be. Me the floor=7ws
Ceiling=10ws
I assume your floor prediction is including a serious rash of injuries. There’s not a snowball’s chance in hell of us losing 5 games without some serious injuries.

VN Store

Back